Ratings Round-Up

CSI Files

Captain
A new episode of <I>CSI: Miami</I> failed to win its timeslot, but <font color=yellow>Taylor Swift</font>'s appearance on <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I> beat the competition.<p>On Monday, <I>CSI: Miami</I> came in second behind the first part of <I>The Bachelor: After the Final Rose</I>, which pulled in 17.47 million viewers and a 6.7 rating/16 share in the prized 18-49 demographic. <I>Miami</I> had 13.31 million viewers and 3.8/9. <I>Medium</I> came in third with 7.28 million viewers and 2.5/6 in the key demo.<p><I>CSI: New York</I> aired a repeat on Wednesday, but it earned the top spot with 11.39 million viewers and 2.7/8 in the 18-49 demo. A repeat of <I>Law and Order</I> shared second-place honors with <I>Life on Mars</I>. <I>Law</I> had higher viewers with 5.78 million to <I>Mars</I>' 5.65 million. In the 18-49 demographic, <I>Mars</I> pulled in 2.1/6, which was enough to beat <I>Law</I>'s 1.6/5.<p>Swift's episode of <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I> earned 20.80 million viewers on Thursday, taking the top spot at 9:00pm. <I>Hell's Kitchen</I> was second with an approximate 10.64 million viewers (the numbers are approximate because <I>American Idol</I> ran over a few minutes). NBC had the third place in overall viewers with its combination of <I>The Office</I> (8.63 million) and <I>30 Rock</I> (7.35 million). A repeat of <I>Grey's Anatomy</I> came in fourth with 5.68 million viewers, and a repeat of <I>Supernatural</I> rounded out the hour with 1.93 million. In the 18-49 demo, <I>CSI</I> dominated with 5.3/13, followed by <I>Kitchen</I> (4.6/12), the combo of <I>Office</I> (4.5/11) and <I>Rock</I> (3.8/9), <I>Grey's</I> (1.6/4) and <I>Supernatural</I> (0.7/2).<p>The original ratings information for <A class="link" HREF="http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/412101391">CSI: Miami</a>, <A class="link" HREF="http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/777104391">CSI: New York</a> and <A class="link" HREF="http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/361106391">CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</a> is from PI Feedback.<center></center>

I wonder if this drop in ratings for Miami is due to all the hype about The Bachelor's finale rose, or if it's finally a reflection of people getting fed up with the weak writing and editing of the Miami episodes. More than likely it has to do with The Bachelor, but for just a small while I would like to see Miami drop in the ratings. Not enough to get it canceled but enough for the writers to get a wake up call. I think what has happened is that the show has been on top for so long the writers have gotten lazy.

After last weeks CSI episode I got to thinking about the last time an episode of Miami actually moved me as emotionally as Turn Turn Turn, and I came up blank. The last one I can clearly remember is the episode where Speed died. I still love Miami, which is why I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth and keep giving them that onehundred millionth "second" chance to wow me and remind me why I like the show. But sadly, I've yet to be wowed. I would love to see them put out an emotionally driven episode like Turn Turn Turn from CSI. By the end of that episode my heart was breaking for Nick and I cried right along with him at the end.

I'm afraid Miami has become too superfical and maybe a little to soap opera. I'm trying to hang on, because I really do love the cast, but I've actually gotten to the point where I'm expecting to be disappointed instead of hoping that this time they'll surprise me. :(

Back