R.I.P. Netscape Browser

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dynamo1, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Maybe this should have gone in the Rest and Rememberance thread. This was my favorite browser.

AOL Pulls Plug on Netscape Web Browser
    Dec 28, 5:10 PM (ET)
    By ANICK JESDANUN

NEW YORK (AP) - Netscape Navigator, the world's first commercial Web browser and the launch pad of the Internet boom, will be pulled off life support Feb. 1 after a 13-year run.

Its current caretakers, Time Warner Inc. (TWX)'s AOL, decided to kill further development and technical support to focus on growing the company as an advertising business. Netscape's usage dwindled with Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)'s entry into the browser business, and Netscape all but faded away following the birth of its open-source cousin, Firefox.

"While internal groups within AOL have invested a great deal of time and energy in attempting to revive Netscape Navigator, these efforts have not been successful in gaining market share from Microsoft's Internet Explorer," Netscape Director Tom Drapeau wrote in a blog entry Friday.

In recent years, Netscape has been little more than a repackaged version of the more popular Firefox, which commands about 10 percent of the Web browser market, with almost all of the rest going to Internet Explorer.

Full story at Iwon/AP News

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

That's sad to see, but they are right Firefox is a much better and popular browser.

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

*sobs* RIP Netscape Browser

Oh I remember those good ol' days 10 yrs ago when I had my first computer classes at school and you went to surf with Navigator (and of course websites were created with Netscape Composer)

*le sigh*

As for new browsers, I use Firefox as well - used Opera first but it got annoying and me likes this FF - even tho should test Opera again. But I'll never ever touch IE [even there's one website updating where I have to use it - bleh]

4. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

I too prefer firefox. Opera... ger, don't ger me started... I hated that thing.

But, I like IE too, on some occasions. The setup's simple and there is not much I can do wrong.

NB should RIP, though...

5. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

Netscape is gone? That is so crazy! My dad will be crushed everytime he is near my computer he would try to put it on, but i just use Explorer, what is firefox? ive totally never heerd or that.

R.I.P. Netscape, you will be missed.

6. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

I used Netscape for sometime and it was pretty good. But I use Firefox now and its the best browser that I have used. I don't like IE because if it crashes it restarts and you lose the website that you were on. However with Firefox it gives you back the websites that were there before and it has cool features and add-ons.

RIP Netscape.

7. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Awww no more Netscape, although I hardly ever used it. I am a fan of Firefox too.

8. magicmunchies

magicmunchies Lab Technician

RIP netscape :( Used it for awhile

I mainly use firefox as well, it's faster and it remember what page i'm on

9. Hannah

Hannah Rookie

Never heard of Netscape...Used IE for like...Years...It was slow. Then started using firefox and everything went faster :) :) :)*huggles computer* ILY :D

10. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I saw in the news that Netscape would dissapear and instantly became nostalgic. My first contact with internet was in University, and there we had Netscape, so it was the navigator I first used.

Explorer makes my design programs to collapse, so now I use firefox too.

11. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

I don't know what Netscape is, but RIP anyway.

I use Firefox on the family Mac, and IE when I'm using my PC. I hate that when you use IE, and it has to stop and restart, that it doesn't give you the option of continuing your session (with the same websites up) like FF. Especially if you have like, 4 websites up at a time...ugh.

[/rant]

12. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

:mad: I'm gonna miss good old Nutscrape. I despise IE because it's a virus magnet and temperamental as an opera diva. And while I generally prefer Firefox for any number of reasons, with our system it's useless as far as downloads. For everything else, it rocks.

Ah well. I bet before '08's out we see a new browser on the market...

13. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

If any of you haven't read AntonyF's new announcement, here it is:

Firefox, as well as being a rather good browser, will give you a better viewing experience when visiting the Talk CSI.

To that end I'd like to encourage you to download Firefox 3 on Tuesday June 17 when the makers of Firefox are attempting to set a world record for the number of software downloads in a day.

Click the logo for more details.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord

And from a recent CNet.com email newsletter:

Firefox 3: Light, fast, and secure
    If you haven't tried Firefox, what are you waiting for? The latest version, Firefox 3, will soon be out, and the release candidates are stable enough these days for daily use. (Currently, RC2 is the latest build.) What's good about Firefox 3 is that it's light on resources (even if you have 15 tabs open) and very fast--an improvement over Firefox 2 by far. What's even better are all the built-in security features. For this week's Security Bites podcast, I spoke with Jonathan Nightingale, Mozilla's "Human Shield," aka its security user interface designer. Nightingale developed some of the cool new security features baked into Firefox 3.
    Read more

14. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I downloaded Firefox 3 this afternoon. So far I like it and am spending quite a bit of time getting more add-ons than I had with Firefox two.

I must say that so far I like it and I recommend it.

15. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I've always loved Firefox. And I just got Firefox 3. And it's certainly different. :|