Questions about shifts (day, swing, graveyard) in CSI

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Silhouette, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Silhouette

Silhouette Pathologist

I was wondering when the shifts start and end?

I know roughly that maybe day shift starts in the morning throughout the afternoon, then starts the swing shift through the night, which followed by graveyard through midnight and until the day shift starts again. But I've never known the specific time.
    And on the show (CSI:LV) it's not always at night, sometimes they examine the crime scene in broad daylight too. So how this works? What decides that a case is to be handled by which shift?

And does 'pulling a double' means that they continue working even after their shift ends and through the next shift (day?) because a case requires it?

Does it similar in real life CSIs too?

I hope it's not confusing and sorry if it's a stupid, obvious question. I've tried searching the thread but found nothing, but I'm really curious.
    Thanks before :)

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

A radio host once said that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. This is a good question. I can't answer for the real life CSIs, but in the hotel business that I work in, usually the desk clerk shifts run (A) 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, (B) 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm, (C) 11:00 pm to 7:00 am. But it can vary from one hotel to another. The same could be true for the CSIs in various cities.

Other factors could be the importance of the cases, the availability of field agents, and the number of cases at that time. If they are trying to find a kidnap victim or solve the murder of a police officer, they might pull some overtime until they find the culprit.

3. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

I am not sure about the way it works in America,but in the UK, the people who actually process the scene (not the ones that stay in the lab) can be called in at any time, day or night. There is always more investigators than needed, so they take it in turns for day offs, so on and so forth... But if one investigator doesn't answer a call for a crime scene, then another one can be called, even if it is his day off. The esential thing is for the crime scene to be processed before any evidence can be lost or compromised

4. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

Most agencies in my local area has 24/7 coverage with different groups of two or more "CSIs" on duty, and someone on call with a pager in case something crazy comes up.

Shifts at my specific agency are 4-10s, and overlap.

0600-1600
    1400-2400
    2200-0800

5. Silhouette

Silhouette Pathologist

Wow thanks for explaining, Dynamo, thegluups, and Forensics_Guy... I've been wondering about this, now I get it. Thanks again :)

6. SamStokes

SamStokes Police Officer

Here we work 12:30 to 8:30, 8:30 to 4:30 and 4:30 to 12:30 working 8 hour shifts.
    But then you can still be called in even if it is not your shift if the other shift is all out then whoever is on call has to come in.
    And pulling a double does require you to stay on after your shift, if there is still evidence to be collected or other important stuff is required before you leave.