Question: Can I say "download" or link to songs here?" (Updated 5/19/05)

Discussion in 'CSI Music' started by Fullman, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fullman

Fullman Rookie

Q: I know the topic of downloading is taboo in the other forums, but don’t really see any issue here. Can I say "download" or link to downloadable songs here without being warned?

A: While music thrives in promotion and fans letting others know about artists and bands, many others have abused this privilege by trading and downloading files they have not paid for. This is technically illegal by all means and purposes, and catches the attention of music labels and their representatives, the RIAA. There are many examples of the RIAA taking legal action against sites, communities, and individuals in this area.

Because this forum exists to promote and identify music used in the CSI shows and other forms of merchandise, there are two specific rules:

You MAY use the word "download" or link to songs if you provide:
    • A link or reference to a pubically accessible track/album on legal online music stores
    • A link or reference to an official artist or band site which provides the music internally
    • A link or reference to an Amazon.com or other online retailer product page

Examples* of an official source are:
      An online retailer or music subscription site (Amazon.com, Napster, Rhapsody, iTunes), an official artist/band site (darrenhayes.com), a music label site (sonymusic.com), a promotional/sweepstakes site (purevolume.com), a movie site (starwars.com), or any other medium where the music labels have worked out a licensing agreement or artists themselves have uploaded their music for promotional purposes.
    You MAY NOT use the word "download" or link to songs if you:
    Encourage, discuss about, or link others to download or listen to a track/album they have not paid for from an unofficial source.
    • Examples* of an unofficial source are:
      Fan websites, underground FTP servers, underground music discussion communities that support file attachments, P2P file trading networks, YouSendIt links, "e-mail/IM me and I’ll send you the song" or "please e-mail me the link to download it" references, or any other type of independent file trading.
    "But can I post a snippet I heard during the show (recorded from the show) so others can help me identify it?"
    In this case, if it was recorded from the TV, including sound effects and dialogue, etc., it may be posted (via YouSendIt or other means) so others can use it as a reference for identification.

This is the only exception to posting links to download songs from an unofficial source.

*These are examples only and are not limited to the items, phrases, and terms listed here. These rules apply to this forum only. CSI Files reserves the right to alter these rules at any time without notification.

--
    UPDATES:
    04/18/05: Added "YouSendIt" reference
    04/18/05: Added clarity to subject/topic
    04/21/05: Added clarity for unofficial sources
    05/19/05: Added "recorded-from-show" snippet for identification reference.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

As someone on the record label side of things, I think these are incredible guidelines. This is something that should be put into effect on lots of message boards. There's so much unnecessary (and irresponsible) abuse, only because people don't take the time to think things like this through.

Thanks!

Wax

3. Guest

Guest Guest

i don't see why you can't but im sure you can

4. dittohead

dittohead CSI Level One

Re: Question: Can I say "download" or link to songs here?" (

hmmmm how about "covering" songs?

for example, the Vegas intro theme song = The Who - Who Are You
    if i were to cover it and upload it, as a sampler

not sure if there are copyrights there or... if im even askin the right section :)

5. Vegela

Vegela Witness

yeah I got yelled about saying d******* not too long ago

6. Comte

Comte Police Officer

woah..those are some incredible guidelines..
    i must say i am impressed...

7. Fullman

Fullman Rookie

8. hot4jontogo

hot4jontogo Rookie

technically, with the laws of the "d word" .. these days .. u are legally allowed to "d word" any song you find online, HOWEVER ... in "d word" that song you supposedly only allowed to listen to it for a 24 hour period and then delete it. this is for previewing purposes only and once you copy it onto a disc or onto a device such as an mp3 player then you have infringed on copyright laws.

(can you tell what i do for a living? haha ..)

9. magicmunchies

magicmunchies Lab Technician

So I can leave links to music videos on youtube...

10. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

magicmunchies, if you are talking about linking to CSI themed youtube videos then yes, this is now allowed on the board. However, the Music forum probably isn't the best place to post them. There are threads set up in the Shipper Central forum for ship videos, and threads set up in General, Miami and Vegas for specific (non ship) videos. Check each forum thread for their rules, but there will probably be somewhere suitable to post links. Any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.