Prime Suspect

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by AFIS, Sep 26, 2011.

1. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Has anyone started a thread for this show yet? Anyway, has anyone seen the premier yet or has any plans to watch future episodes? Feel free to discuss anything Prime Suspect related here including your opinions on the actors, stories, or just your opinion on a particular episode.
    For the pilot, I thought it was incredably well put together for a a first episode. Everything felt surprisingly cohesive and, more importantly, intelligent. Maria Bello is just simply stunning playing the lead (who's name just escapes me...it's Timothy or Timony...whatever). I'm wondering though if their going to make this a more ensemble-y show as the episodes go on though because the other actors playing the detectives are pretty fantastic also.

Even though this is another crime procedural, I feel like this show has a certain emotional punch to it that I found gripping to watch. The characters are believable and actually seem like cops unlike some shows that I love to death (*cough* CSI *cough*:p). I can't wait for the next episode. If this show makes it, I can see it getting nominated for the big awards at the Emmys next year. That's how much faith I have for this show.

If you haven't seen the first episode yet, it can be downloaded for free on iTunes. It might even be on Hulu or NBC.com but I haven't checked.

2. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I tried this one, but the lead character was not one I could really relate to. Plus, that hat she wears is so ugly on her. Some people can pull it off, but not her. The case was good and I am not giving up on it yet, but so far not a favorite.

3. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

The hat is a little bit much at times, mrsjrewing, but I think it's just the show's directors/whoever makes wardrobe decisions way to push the whole cop attitude thing. I'm not a hat girl myself but I do respect the women that can pull it off without looking odd. I kind of like the hat.:lol: Either way, I'm glad you're giving the show a chance. A lot of new shows don't even get that much from viewers.

---

After watching the second episode, I have two complaints.

One: Maybe it's just my inability to focus on tv in general, but I can't remember what's going in the cases half the time. I don't know whether the writers are going too fast for me to keep up or too slow for me to stay interested, but either way...I found myself blanking out during the second episode.

Two: How long are they going to push this woman against the boys conflict? It's getting a little tired. I was literally yelling at my computer, "Someone's better than at you at solving cases and that person happens to be a woman. Suck it up. How about instead of focusing on being a sexist pig, why not help her out a little bit?"

4. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I have continued to watch this one and it is getting better. I like it a lot better than I did at first. It is my favorite on Thursdays. Oh and I still don't like the hat, but she doesn't wear it much. LOL

5. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

:eek:Prime Suspect now has two fans on the CSI forums! This is so exciting. This is why I love new tv shows, the feeling of converting someone over to my new favorite show makes me feel so great. Kind of like hugging your pillow or playing with a soft baby...:shifty:anyway.

Review for episode 3: This show is really starting to gel, in a good way. I love how the different detectives play off of each other with their sarcasm. It was great to watch Duffy finally starting to come around to Jane's attempts to be polite and cordial. Don't really have much review since I saw the episode a couple of days ago but overall it was a great episode. I particularly like how the writers aren't pushing the character drama aspect...yet.:lol:

6. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

Not two fans - three:) actually
    I've watched all three episodes and I can say I definetely love it. Plots of each eppi are good, coherent and at least I haven't found any goof. I've never seen Maria Bello before so she's a revelation to me. I also like her character Jane - she is plausible, not a superwoman with balls and tough as a nail. Yeah, she's tough but also vulnerable and caring. In pilot, I guess, she got home and ask her boyfriend "I know you mad at me but could you talk to me just one minute..." - great scene, great acting. But I don't understand one thing - why her new team was so hostile to her in the beginning? Cuz she's not a man? Come on, it's a 21 sentury?

7. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I guess you can count me as fan #4. I still have issues with the cops-with-threatened-male-egos theme (although it may be somewhat realistic) and the writing is uneven at times; but I love Maria Bello (and her fedora!), and she does have some great lines; and I love me some Charlie-from-Fringe.
    I don't know if I could be considered a fan yet, but I am sticking with it, hoping that some of 'my' issues will be straightened out with time. :)

8. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I think my biggest problem was just getting into the characters with it being a new show. I love how Jane is so strong. Very Mariska Hargitay (aka Law and Order: SVU's main actress). I am looking forward to watching tomorrow. I always tape it and watch it the next day. I am hoping we get to know the guys on the squad some too. I think they all need to be well rounded and explored.

9. SciFiChick

SciFiChick Witness

I wan't sure how I would feel about this show having and loved the original(Helen Mirren is a goddess!) I like it the US version. I have to admit the first episode left me a bit cold. Those guys in the squadroom <shiver>. I'm glad the writers let up on the let's freeze Jane out theme that was going on in the first couple of eps. I really like Maria Bello's version of Jane. Count me in as a fan.

10. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I had to catch my thread before it faded into the sunset...:lol:

Woohoo, two fans are now joining the Prime Suspect train. We're going to have a packed house in a minute.:p I'll try to get on here to post my opinion of the next episode after it airs if my schedule permits. If it doesn't though, here's a question for anyone who wants to chime in before this thread gets forgotten about for the Blue Bloods thread.:)

Discussion question:
    What do you guys think about Jane's affair with Costello? I personally don't have a problem with a woman using the advantages of being a woman to get help every once in awhile, but my friend thought the whole thing was just whorish. I can see both sides of the argument but I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

11. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Well...I'm sad to say but this show has been cancelled.:( Thanks everyone for giving it a shot but apparently NBC likes to remain last in the ratings by cancelling good shows before gving them a chance. Now I see why Chase fans got in such a tizzy with NBC...

12. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

Yes, it's really sad:( Does it mean that NBC won't air next filmed episodes?

As for your question
    Jane isn't (IMHO) a girl who is trying to get advantage of being a woman. And what advantage in this particular case - transfer to a better precinct?
    Her scene with Costello was interesting. She seemed a bit embarassed and regretful. He seemed to have very good memories about their relationship. Looked like they were in love and maybe he still loves her.

13. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

According to AOL TV the show will shoot through episode 13. I am guessing the final episodes at this point will air before Christmas and the question seems to be where they would put it in January when the shows return. I hope it does come back. I keep liking it more and more.
    Here is the article:
    http://www.aoltv.com/2011/11/15/nbc-shutting-down-prime-suspect/

14. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Not a surprise..the rumors of it being on the chopping block were going around for weeks.
    I watched a couple of episodes but it didn't do anything to peak my intrest.

15. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

At least the episode 8 was aired, so I have a hope to see all 13.