Poll and Opinions On Ray Langston

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Kasey47, Nov 2, 2009.

?

How Do You Feel About Ray Langston's Character?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2009.
  1. Liked Him From The Beginning

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Wasn't Sure At First But He's Growing On Me

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Not Feeling Him At All

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Really Have No Opinion Either Way

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

Hey everyone. I was just wondering what people really think about Ray Langston, the character. I know he got off to a rocky start with everyone but as the new season started, I believe he came into his own. I feel that the other characters like and respect him. He's very knowledgable like Grissom was but he has a more "friendly" vibe to him. I'm not saying that Grissom wasn't friendly but Ray seems like the kind of guy who would go out with the team for a beer or watch movies(like he did last season). Grissom not so much.

So if you could all take a moment and check off the poll and maybe write a bit about why you feel how you feel, that would be great. Oh and a friendly reminder that there is no bashing of the actual actor or another poster. We are speaking of the character of Ray Langston and I would like to try to keep it to him specifically if we can. Thanks everyone...

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I love him and am exhilarated that we've got him. At first when I heard was resistant and hesitant, not because of the actor LF, but I so adored Grissom. But the 1st time I saw him in "19 Down" did a 160 degree turn-about. The team losing their beloved Warrick their co-worker Sara and then their hero/boss Grissom. They were down in the mouth and sad, depressed and morose. He brought some sunshine and happiness back into the lab. He's smart, calm, cool and collected yet a bit mysterious, and can get fiesty when provoked. He blends in perfect with the whole team [and is a team player] and they with him. He listens to all of them and they to him, he's a pleasant person to watch. I take my hat off to the writers for choosing him. Good job Laurence and hooray to the writers:bolian:

And thank's Kasey for starting this~

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I like the guy but I am just not happy with the way the writers have him bossing everyone else around and seemingly smarter than all the others. If they cut back on him being like that, I would not complain about him.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree with this completely. Although I do wish they'd spent more than one episode on him learning the ropes. I really loved the scene in Grave Shift with him fumbling with the print powders. It was cute and interesting because we've never seen a newbie come in and be so out of their element at first like that. Greg pretty much knew all about the print powders when he started as a CSI, so it was fresh to see that with Ray. I get that they couldn't have him be like that forever, but only one episode? I dunno... I felt a bit cheated out of the process I guess. :lol: But I actually like the character. He's definitely growing on me... I just wish the writers would let one of the other CSIs solve a crime every now and then. Seems like Ray is the one to always solve it. Even Gil didn't solve every crime. Remember the one with the girl in the barrel? It was actually Nick who felt that Grissom was wrong about that and Nick turned out to be right.

5. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I agree with the two people above me... I don't mind the character himself, but he's just been written kind of poorly, in such a way that I kind of can't like him on principle.

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I like Laurence Fishbourne, but I do not like how the writers have taken this Langston character and made him the centre of the show. It's why I've stopped watching the show.

7. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I'm pretty ambivalent about him, honestly. I don't like the way they have 'developed' his character; just too many inconsistencies with how he is portrayed. I've accepted him, but I don't really care about him. I focus more on the characters I like to watch.

8. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

I don't like him from the beginning he was not even a CSI and now he is the "star" I don't watch CSI anymore and I don't like this idea of crossover just to make people like him more. He is the last to join this show and now he is the one they choose to lead this investigation.. I'm not happy I'm a huge fan of CSI NY and I will have to pass this episode because I don't want to see horatio Caine and Langston

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  9. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i have liked ray since the beginning and find fishbourne to be a great actor. i think the problem is cbs brought in a new leading male, but made his character low man on the totem pole. it is hard to balance the fact that he gets more screen time with his position. obviously they cant have ray being shown how to do everything every episode.

i know a lot of people have expressed they dont like that ray always seems to find the right piece of evidence, and i really dont see what the big deal is. i think it was smart of the writers to make ray a pathologist in his backstory, they have a trained eye for detail. although not the same thing exactly, he could be fresh eyes and notice small details that may be missed by others. he does seem to have more authority than he should. working solo, telling other people what to do, but again i think that is due to him being the lead actor. how else are the going to get him in there?

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

It's really not that hard for the male lead to not be in charge. Example: The Mentalist. He's not even a cop, he just works with them and he's not in charge and it's balanced very nicely. So it's not beyond possibility for the CSI writers to do that with Langston.

11. CSIfan34

CSIfan34 Civilian

I didn't care for the character Ray at first, but he has grown on me. I've been really enjoying this season so far.

12. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I can't say that I dislike the character, but I can't say I overly like the character either. I am not a hugh fan of the development of Langston nor the position he now holds within the department. If TPTB were aiming for him to be the new lead male, then they should have placed him in a more authoritative type of role right from the beginning. Not bring him in as a rookie then, surprise, overnight, he's an experienced CSI. It's tough to digest. I think he would have been accepted a lot quicker by the fans if he was...say, a higher ranking csi from another city coming in to fill the vacancy of Grissom.

13. CgrGrl

CgrGrl Witness

I've liked Ray from the beginning, but I do have issues with how the other characters defer to him all the time now. If I just now started watching the show and had no idea who was who, I would think that Ray was the Supervisor.

14. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Here would be my perfect CSI show. Grissom would still be here as the head honch. [why he couldn't have waited for the S/10 to finish and then left] so anyways. LF could have replaced Warrick at the level he was. We'd see the couple Grissom and Sara happily married in their condo with their doggie Hank. The rest of the team the way it used to be, And with the crossover coming up, Grissom and Dr. Langston could have done it together, or Ray could have at least been a consultant and helping out with his expertise. AH, but alas, that's not the case:(

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  15. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I voted "Really Have No Opinion Either Way" has his good moments and bad moments. They all do. The actor is trying create a character from scratch with the material he is given. I am not about to dislike a fictional character based on what writers make of him, as he can only do so much, the actor can only do so much. Therefore at this point in time I have no opinion regarding him. :)