Poll 4 Fan Fiction Readers and Writers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by lovinsofia, Oct 19, 2007.

1. lovinsofia

lovinsofia Victim

:mad: I have been covered in a title wave of non existing characters, you know the OC ones, with the last role play person I wrote with; and because of this I wanted to make a poll to well pole the general population on their opinion on characters that don't exist on any of the shows but play a main role if not the only role in some fictions. Honesty is always the best. I know I hate them, unless they are a way of broadening the characters all ready there or fleshing out their past and why they are who they are today.

2. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

I really don't mind OCs if they're just apart of the story, but there should be serious emphisis on the characters shown on CSI/Miami/NY.

3. Mera1506

Mera1506 Dead on Arrival

It's just fan fiction, besides no one forces you to read what you don't want to.

4. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

Sometimes I like new characters because they provide a fresh look to the main characters...or bring in a new element as a whole. But...I do prefer for the story to be centered around a main character on the show, and the OC character to add something fresh. As long as they don't play a more vital role I'm fine with it.

5. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

While normally I would have picked 'it's just fan fiction', I'm reminded that most fan fiction is based on the characters and stories of said show/movie/game. So there should be a focus on what makes the show what it is.

However, OC characters do add a freshness to the story, where normally a character created by the producers of the show fall short. We see these characters all the time, and it would be almost boring to read fan fiction where only these characters interact with each other. Sometimes adding in someone of your own creativity makes the story more global. Ie: The CSI characters aren't the only ones in the universe.

OC characters I find are sometimes essential when dealing with a show such as CSI for fan fiction. More often than not, a story will focus on a case--Therefore needing a new character which may or may not aid in the development of the CSI folks.

So I chose 'would not mind them if they were only to aide the central character of the show; one created by JB'. But to me, fan fiction is so manipulatible that even if the OC were the main part of the story, the central characters would support the story to the end. :)

6. CSIFan86

CSIFan86 Victim

in my honest opinion, it's just fan fiction and if there's an OC in a story, then fine by me. It does add some freshness to a story and if the original characters are still in the story and continue to be in the story until the end, then great.

If a story was mainly centered around a certain character throughout the whole thing, then, my honest opinion, that would get kind of boring after some time. If it was centered around all the characters, plus an OC, it wouldn't get so boring, and it could make the story even better.

7. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

I was really stuck between C and D, but my best friend told me to pick D, so I did (she also would like me to tell you that if you have a problem with that to take it up with her, and that she eats people for breakfast :lol:).

Anyhoo, I don't have a problem with OCs, to a certain extent. I mean, I'm doing a fic right now where there's been one new character since the second chapter, but we've never seen her in a scene without any of the canon characters. Even if I do decide to give her her own scene down the road, I still don't think there's anything wrong with that. The only time it starts to annoy me is when you've got like, 5 new characters, and I know on a certain board for another fandom, they live off OCs. They've even got sequels just with those characters, not even mentioning the canons. That's where I have to draw the line. But then there are other places that are ridiculously strict with it, and I don't think that's right either. This is why I was stuck between C and D: You can't define art. The beautiful thing about writing is there are no rules (except for grammar ;)), and nobody thinks the same, so it's nice sometimes to see someone take something in a totally different direction than you would have.