**Please read and respond!!** (beginner/advanced challenges)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Wyoming, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

This post is in reference to the problem that some people who are entering into the beginners category really belong in the advanced category, vice versa and all that good stuff. If some people are doing it to win (which I don’t think they are) then this will fix that problem, we hope.

Okay, so we’ve asked tons of opinions and I’ve gotten help from people from other boards who run sites that are strictly for art purposes. I’ve heard the same answer from almost everyone, and it looks like the criteria idea is the one that is going to stick. So, in my lousy attempt to make all of this make sense (especially since I took 3 hour test this morning) please bear with me. Cinegirl and I have made our decision, and here is how it is going to go:

First off, these are guidelines. They are not written in stone, because we understand that some circumstances are different than others. BUT I would like everyone to read them and use them so that you can determine what category you are in if there is a beginner and advanced challenge. Se we really encourage you guys to use them and put yourselves in the right category. We’re doing it this way so that no one feels like they are getting their toes stepped on. We still want you guys to pick your categories and have as much freedom as possible.

Here are the guidelines for entering into advanced. If you feel you do not meet these, you might consider beginners.:

1. Icon makers who have been at it for six months or more.

2. Knowledge of coloring, textures and brushes is wide.

3. Consider how many tutorials you have gone through, they make you a heck of a lot better. The more you followed, the more towards advanced you have become. Also consider how much you have used them since you followed the tutorial.

4. Look at the compliments you get. If someone seems amazed at your icon, and uses it without requesting it, that’s saying something. Consider how many times this has happened to you.

5. This is the most important one. If you have won Three or more challenges in one particular area of art (icons, banners, ect) then move up to advanced, give someone else a chance to win beginners :D.

6. Take what you know about fanart, and compare it to what you have seen. Where would you put yourself?

7. This one probably trumps number 5. Use your absolute best judgment. Put yourself in the category you truly think you should be in, and if you aren’t sure, pm someone who can help you.

Note: For example, if you enter an advanced challenge for an icon, it does not mean you have to enter the same level for a wallpaper challenge, or a banner challenge, ect. Use your judgment for each category, and use the guidelines to help you pick a category.

If anyone has any questions, you can pm Cinegirl or myself, and we would be absolutely happy to answer you as soon as we can. Also if you have any suggestions, you can post them here or PM them.

PLEASE RESPOND SO WE KNOW YOU HAVE READ THIS

Happy (insert art canvas here) making! :D

2. Nienna Berylla

Nienna Berylla CSI Level Two

Wyoming i read it and i do understand it but i dont know where to put myself, because i dont know for sure ive i am already good enough for being a advanced person. Im not that good in all teh things in your "rules" so thats something i want to ask or have to find out what i am. But its very clear what you are saying here and i thinks its even good that you put it in here.. So good job you two.

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Good general guidelines. Well done, I'm sure it was tough for you both. :)

For the banner challenges, I am happy to advise any banner makers with regard to which category they should enter. I will not choose for you, but I will help you to make the right decision if you are struggling. :)

4. Tristianna

Tristianna Police Officer

Read and understood.

5. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Re: **Please read and respond!!** (beginner/advanced challen

Jess! You did so well in putting up our new guidelines, thanks you've taken over this job :)

Nathalie, thanks for responding and that you back this "project". If you still have problems in finding out your category after you worked through the points Wyoming presented here, you can always pm us, and we'll try to give you further tips how to find out - this applies for all "undecided" :)

Oh, and: Read and understood! :D

6. bird_of_flame

bird_of_flame Police Officer

Read it and understood. :)

7. Miss_Undercover

Miss_Undercover Judge

:D Read it and understood !!

And thanks for your work !! ;)

8. NickGregxTheLove

NickGregxTheLove Witness

Read and replied! Thanks for posting this :)

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Read and understood.

As much as I'd like people to chose their own category for the wallpaper challenge, don't hesitate to ask if you need advice. Also, if I think you're in the wrong level, I'll let you know ;)

10. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

gotcha :)

11. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Thanks for taking the time to put all this, we love you mods!
    So far I've never entered anything, and haven't made anything, but I will keep this in mind if I ever do. Thanks! :D

12. Lauw

Lauw Police Officer

Read and understood :)

13. Dutchie

Dutchie Coroner

Read and understood and if I ever enter a challenge, I'll keep it in mind ;)

Thanks you two.

14. Macayla

Macayla Captain

Yup read it... I entered advanced already anyway :lol:

15. athens

athens Coroner

Read and understood although I don't really make any fanart! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.