Petersen: It's The Right Time

CSI Files

Captain
It's not easy to say goodbye.<p><font color=yellow>William Petersen</font> (Gil Grissom) will make his exit from <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I> in this week's episode, <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/csi/season9/one_to_go.shtml">"One to Go"</a>. "I think it's the right time because I think that Grissom and myself are in similar journeys," the actor told <A class="link" HREF="http://www.etonline.com/">Entertainment Tonight</a>. "It's an adult man in his fifties who is trying to figure out what to do for the rest of his life."<p>After doing their jobs well for a long time, both Petersen and his character have developed a personal connection. Petersen said it was difficult to work on the final episode knowing it would be the last time he'd work on a certain set or with a certain actor. "And you try to put that away because there's a personal part of this for me that's large," the actor explained, "and there's also a part for the character of Grissom that's large as well." What's good about it, Petersen shared, "is that what Grissom is going through is also what I am going through in terms of preparing to leave the people I love and the job I love."<p>The actor said <I>CSI</I> is successful due to the "fabulous puzzles", the "great chemistry" among the cast and "courageous writing". Petersen also said the acting on the show is "good but different" than the acting that is usually seen on television. Even though he is leaving, Petersen revealed his confidence in the show: "I foresee <I>CSI</I> going on for a long time."<p>The original interview, which contains clips from "One to Go", can be seen on <A class="link" HREF="http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/01/69600/">ET Online</a>.<center></center>

Billy Petersen is a mass of contradictions, he signs on for S/9, with hugh salary increase & "options" and then bails midway through the season
http://www.csifiles.com/news/010408_01.shtml says "he hopes fans will forget Grissom as he well" , then on last nights ET says "how he loves his cast mates and loves his job, :confused:and will miss it", so which is it Billy baby? And why couldn't he have finished S/9 and then went and did his play? make up your mind, and staying on as executive producer and 'maybe coming back for an occasional appearance" doesn't seem like he can let go of CSI, now I don't know him personally, but by his own lips he says "he's restless" and doing a play and the same thing night after night, seems redundant, and boring, where as CSI has different stories every week. He's an ENIGMA that's for sure:confused:

themed_kiss-1.jpg

Last edited:
Billy Petersen is a mass of contradictions, he signs on for S/9, with hugh salary increase & "options" and then bails midway through the season
http://www.csifiles.com/news/010408_01.shtml says "he hopes fans will forget Grissom as he will, then on last nights ET says "how he loves his cast mates and loves his job, :confused:and will miss it", so which is it Billy baby? Aand why couldn't he have finished S/9 and then went and did his play? make up your mind, and staying on as executive producer and 'maybe coming back for an occasional appearance" doesn't seem like he can let go of CSI, now I don't know him personally, but by his own lips he says "he's restless" and doing a play and the same thing night after night, seems redundant, and boring, where as CSI has different stories every week. He's an ENIGMA that's for sure:confused:

themed_kiss-1.jpg

I think it's very possible to love your job and co-workers but at the same time want to move on and put a chapter of your life behind you. I don't really see it as a big contradiction so much as just being able to compartmentalize portions of your life and not dwell on the past. As far as theater vs. CSI, yeah CSI has different stories every week, but they're all a variation on one theme and he's played the same character for 8+ years. Theater has a much more limited run and opportunities to play different characters more often. I can see why he would want to move on even though it's difficult and I think he's giving the fans something to look forward to by being open to coming back for occasional apperances. It was also my understanding, and I could be wrong, that when he signed on for S9 it wasn't for the whole season. I don't see that as "bailing" as that would imply he signed on for the whole season and decided to get out of his contract after the fact.

^ ITA to everything you said, PerfectAnomaly. he was on the show long enough and i'm happy for him. he's finally moved on and doing what he wants. he certainly will miss the poeple he worked with but not the work itself. ;) and what's important in life, especially for an artist, is doing what makes you happy and satisfies you professionaly.

No one loves this man more than I do,:p my point was he changes his mind often, says one thing and then another, like the link said "he signed on for S/9" and then fizzled out..I guess the "options" included he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted... and I of course wish him the best and I just wondered why he couldn't have waited till this season was done, to do what he wanted to do, what's a few more months :confused:

Last edited:
well, he was suppossed to be done in S8, so we should feel lucky for the strike and that he was on CSI until half of S9. this moment is just as good as any other. i think it is going to be a great comeback in episode 200, and who knows, maybe he'll appear in the finale too?

i think it is going to be a great comeback in episode 200
Actually, Petersen probably won't actually appear on screen during the 200th episode. (As mentioned in this news article.) From the original TV Guide article used for that:

During a set visit, show insiders also revealed that The Exorcist helmer William Friedkin will direct the show's 200th episode — and the first in a long time to be shot in Las Vegas.

Petersen, who is still a producer on the show and is affectionately called "Billy" by his colleagues, will likely be on-set for the filming of the episode, but not in front of the camera, Shankar said.

Executive director Carol Mendelsohn promised Petersen would appear, however, in a future episode.

"Grissom will come back in an organic way, to visit or be on a case with the people that are his family," she said.

i think it is going to be a great comeback in episode 200
Actually, Petersen probably won't actually appear on screen during the 200th episode. (As mentioned in this news article.) From the original TV Guide article used for that:

During a set visit, show insiders also revealed that The Exorcist helmer William Friedkin will direct the show's 200th episode — and the first in a long time to be shot in Las Vegas.

Petersen, who is still a producer on the show and is affectionately called "Billy" by his colleagues, will likely be on-set for the filming of the episode, but not in front of the camera, Shankar said.

Executive director Carol Mendelsohn promised Petersen would appear, however, in a future episode.

"Grissom will come back in an organic way, to visit or be on a case with the people that are his family," she said.

Organic way, sounds like they are going to grow him in a flower pot!:guffaw:

Back