On Loyalty, or Will Flack Ever Have to Choose Sides?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Much as I think Flack deserves all the screentime and development the writers are willing to give him and then some, I have to wonder if his storyline is building to something big after watching his clashing with Mac this season.

One thing NY has done that the other CSI shows haven't really is show us how Flack does indeed have divided loyalties. Yes, he works with the CSIs a lot, but he ultimately answers to the police chief at the homicide division. I love that his clashes with Mac this season have involved his loyalty to the police department. He didn't want to hand over his log book in "Consequences" because he didn't want any part in implicating a fellow officer, and as we saw in "Sweet 16" he's now taking heat for doing just that. In "Raising Shane," he defended Mac to his captain, but it was clear where his loyalties lay: with the chief. He basically told Mac what Mac has told so many others: to let the police department do their job.

Even when Flack was on Stella's case in "All Access," it was clear he was investigating what happened. Though he was respectful, Flack was trying to piece together what happened in Stella's apartment, and whether she was guilty of murder or acted in self defense.

The only exception to this rule seems to be Danny: both times when he was under suspicion of wrong-doing/murder, Flack stood by his side as a friend (he pushed a beat cop who was getting aggressive with Danny, he met Danny at a diner to console him, he stood watch over Danny after Louie was beaten up).

With all of this set up, I have to wonder if Flack will ever face a situation where he's really torn, where he has to choose to side with the CSIs or the police department? I think it would be a great storyline for him, and there seems to be a lot of potential set up here. What do you guys think?

2. aftertherain

aftertherain Victim

I haven't seen very many episode of CSI:NY yet (just season 3 and a few of season 2), but I think he just might have to choose sides one day. Totally awful, but it's his job to do what he thinks is right.

I do think he needs more screentime.

3. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

Wow now that you give all these examples of Flack being on one side or the other. That yes I could see them doing an episode addressing it. It would be very interesting and a chance to go where no CSI show has gone before. But who knows what TPTB are thinking at any given time. ;)

4. Top41

^I'd love to see an episode where he did have to choose sides. I think Flack prizes loyalty above all else, and I'd love to see him have to wrestle with his loyalty to his department and what he thinks is right. Or his loyalty to a friend--I think it's been set up quite well for him to be forced to choose between his department and his friendship with Danny.

5. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I can see it now.

Danny's gonna be framed by Sonny's people for getting him thrown in prison. It's gonna be something really big, which will throw Danny into a much worse situation than Hawkes experienced this season. Let's try, say ... Danny gets framed for killing a cop, and it's a case where it's definitely no accident.

With Danny's bad decision in On the Job, it's like fire's been thrown onto two thousand cans of gasoline. And Flack? Oh, poor Flack is going to be stuck between supporting his fellow cops who want Danny's head on a platter ... or becoming Danny's pillar of protection and helping a good friend to clear his name.

Yeah. My imagination runs wild. Can you tell? :p

6. Top41

^I could see something like that...though maybe not Danny being accused of murder--again. Just because it's been done several times before, with Danny and with Hawkes. But I could see Danny's family being brought back into it, and I can only imagine what the captain thinks of Danny's family. ;) Flack would definitely be in the middle, especially if Danny turned to him for help.

7. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I would love to see something like that going on. And not just because I feel Flack/Eddie deserve to get a decent storyline. To have Flack's divided loyalties coming up 3 times so far this season does seem like they're building up to a bigger storyline.

My theory was - especially after Mac mentioned the other cops giving Flack a hard time - was that there'd come a point where 'giving him a hard time' would turn from more than just a few dirty looks, to maybe a cop taking matters into his own hands, and Flack suffering as a result. Maybe this time Flack could be the one framed for murder or accused of a bad shoot.

Heh, to be honest, I don't care what storyline they give him, just so long as he gets one!

8. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

Absolutely. Thank you for the thread. To be honest, I think that this all ties in with his family and legacy. It's just a guess though.

But the Mac/Flack clashing is done so much better than the stupid Mac/Danny angst back in season 1. That for me was completely unnecessary. TPTB is doing a great job with developing Flack, but I'd like to see him in the spotlight.

9. iluvdanny

iluvdanny Victim

I think ultimatly Flack would choose the csi or i hoped the writers write it that way.

10. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Oooh, that would be one of my dreams come true! A storyline involving Danny, glimpses of his backstory and Flack in between... :D

11. iluvdanny

iluvdanny Victim

12. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

Wow that would be a good way to test his loyalties. But ...

I think if they did test his loyalties right now it might be along the lines Ceindreadh mentioned. Since it really has been just Flack and Mac going up against each other. ;)

13. Muzzy_Olorea

Muzzy_Olorea Lab Technician

I never thought about this but now you've brought it up I do think that the writers are leading somewhere with this. They've built it up nicely so having Flack to choose sides would be realistic.

14. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

I can definately see tptb setting up a situation where Flack has to choose sides and making it as difficult as possible. I also see them ending the episode with that so we have to be back next week to see what he chooses. As loyal as Flack is to the CSIs and the Police it would be a tough decision for him. I can definately see Danny being a big part of the problem though, since Flack does seem to stand beside him more then the others.

15. Lonia

Lonia Witness

I haven't seen the new season yet, so I don't know the scenes where Flack shows his loyalty to the police department. But it really sounds interesting to think about how he would react if he really had to choose a side. Sounds like a great possible storyline, especially if Danny and/or Danny's family was involved.

I may not know the scenes from the third season but I well know the ones from season one and two where he stands at Dannys side. It sure would be a difficult decision for Flack.