'New York' Features New Technology

CSI Files

Captain
The protein analyser featured in the <I>CSI: New York</I> episode <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/newyork/season5/point_of_no_return.shtml">"Point of No Return"</a> is a real piece of equipment developed by Scripps Florida.<p>The touch screen analyser was developed last fall by Scripps' assistant professor <font color=yellow>Jennifer Busby</font> and software engineer <font color=yellow>Bruce Pascal</font>. The device features a 50-inch flat panel television screen that displays 16 protein readouts side by side. The touch screen allows the readouts to be shifted back and forth, and they can be made bigger and smaller. <I>CSI: NY</I> executive producer <font color=yellow>Peter Lenkov</font> knew Pascal growing up. When he read about the device, "I had to make sure it was in the show," Lenkov told the <A class="link" HREF="http://www.palmbeachpost.com/">Palm Beach Post</a>.<p>"Our show is such a visual experience," Lenkov explained, "so we're always on the lookout for new technology that will enhance the viewing experience. If the audience says 'That was so cool,' then we've done our job in the tech department." He added, "Of course, that means we're under pressure to deliver week-to-week. And so, we are continually doing our homework, looking for the latest and greatest."<p>Busby and Pascal flew to the <I>New York</I> set in January to get the analyser set up for filming. "They gave me a lot of brand new requirements," Pascal said. "I had three applications I would fire up that would look good, first one, then I'd fire up the next. They wanted to get them all in a contiguous shot. They didn't want to break scenes." In "Point of No Return", the device was used to determine that traces of heroin contained a human-specific protein, indicating that the drugs came from inside a human body.<p>The original news is from the <A class="link" HREF="http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/03/18/a1b_scripps_0318.html">Palm Beach Post</a>.<center></center>

(I'm supposed to use 'British' spellings rather than 'American' spellings, which can sometimes be odd since I'm American - I do try, though, which is why I went with analyser instead of analyzer in this article. Hopefully I did that right. :lol:)

[/dork] :p

(I'm supposed to use 'British' spellings rather than 'American' spellings, which can sometimes be odd since I'm American - I do try, though, which is why I went with analyser instead of analyzer in this article. Hopefully I did that right. :lol:)

[/dork] :p

It took me a minute to figure out why that is--but then I remembered that CSI Files is a international site. :p

Are you supposed to use the British 'gaol'? I've never seen it here. I bet a lot of the US readers would be puzzled.
Did you know that the vocabulary in the American editions of the Harry Potter books is changed from the British because of the differences in meaning and spelling?
LaSquisita

Gaol? :confused: I'd be a bit confuzzled myself. :lol:

Did you know that the vocabulary in the American editions of the Harry Potter books is changed from the British because of the differences in meaning and spelling?
Yep - I think I'd be fine with most of the original vocabulary, but I'm sure there are a few things that would make me scratch my head. :p

Gaol is a British spelling of a word commonly used on CSI, 'jail'. It is becoming less used, as American English takes over the world, but still seen occasionally. Oscar Wilde fans will know it from his prison poem, 'The Ballad of Reading Gaol.'

Last edited:
Back