'New York' Casts Young Actress For Family Role

CSI Files

Captain
CSI: New York found a young actress to play the daughter of newcomer Jo Danville (Sela Ward). (Contains minor spoilers.) As CSI Files previously reported, Jo’s daughter was adopted from a woman she helped put in jail. The series cast That’s So Raven actress Sydney Park for the role. The character was originally going to [...]

More...

Re: ?New York? Casts Young Actress For Family Role

As I posted in the NY forum's spoiler thread, this casting news brings out my cynical side. Aside from Hawkes, it seems as though every character of color has to either be a criminal or have ties to a criminal. The whole white cop adopts child of color who came from a broken home and whose parent is a crminal is just a stereotype. I don't mean to imply that Sydney Park isn't a talented actress. I've never seen her in anything to judge that. I just find their whole, "we didn't want race to limit us" to be nothing but spin considering the character's background and NY's serious lack of diversity.

Is it bad that my first thought was 'Jo is a nice white lady'?

Do we want to take bets on how long it takes for someone to raise an eyebrow or wait for Jo to explain, 'Oh, she's adopted'? Even though her ex-husband wouldn't automatically be white (at least out here in the real world, since interracial relationships are underrepresented on TV).

Despite my :rolleyes: reaction, I'm looking forward to seeing Jo's family and finding out more about this situation. I'm sure Sydney is a great young actress, and I can't wait to see Jo in Mom Mode. ;)

Back