New to C.S.I--should I watch it from beginning??

Fardog

Civilian
I have never seen any one of the C.S.I. shows before. Any series that I watch I tend to watch from the beginning by buying it on DVD-like Bones, Criminal Minds, etc.

Circuit City has C.S.I. and C.S.I. Miami on sale, season one for each series.

Here is my question:

A search of my cable reveals many C.S.I.s of each incarnation showing each week. Do you all think it is better for me to watch each season of each series from the beginning or is it okay to save some money and watch from whatever episode or whatever season is showing? Is there a story that runs through the seasons of each series that you would be confused by if you don't see it from the beginning. It would obviously be a real money saver to just watch whatever C.S.I. is showing on cable. Thanks. :confused:

Good questions, Fardog, and welcome to the board. While most episodes are stand-alone stories, there have been a few where killers return later in a season or in another season. On the original series with the Las Vegas team, a story line ran most of last season and ended (possibly) earlier this season. Miami and New York have referred back to previous episodes at times. And there was one story on Miami that concluded on an episode of New York. But these are still fun to watch. I just happened to catch the original from the beginning and try not to miss any of the three series. Hope this helps.

The benefits of the DVD's are that you get the extras (as well as being able to watch them in your own time). You get episode comentry, special features and extras which are great fun and very informative.

That said, if these things don't interest you, and you feel you can catch up with the character back stories and previous plots that are still relevent now by watching re-runs, do that.

The thing with not watching from the beggining is you don't get to watch the characters develop. Like, you may see someone behaving one way and feel its OOC for them, but it actualy relates back to a previous episode. All so, there can be 'in jokes' and 'in comments' that may refer back to older episodes that you may not get.

Like I said, there are pros and cons for each way. :D

Welcome, by the way.

Jodie

Also I enjoy watching the first seasons as they allow to watch the characters progress into what they are now. Relationships change, and stuff like that, most of the characters have changed a little since the beginning, and it's interesting if not useful to see that happen.

I think it is much better to watch csi from the beginiing since you learn characters back storys and some of the season 1 and 2 episodes of csi las vagas are just brillient plus i watched it all from the begining on dvd and it is just much better than watching it halfway throught season 5 or something plus u can also get more attached to characters is u start at the begining also in my opinion you shud get csi season 2 instead of csi maimi season 1 coz it is way better and csi has most charecter development and original is also best :D but then againi am a csi las vagas fan so my answer is bias but do with wat u feel is best :)

hope this helps

It really depends on what you're looking to get from CSI. If you're just looking for random blood and guts with some cool problem solving, then just start watching any old episode. But if you're looking for long term, sometimes multi-season stretching storylines, then it's probably a good idea to start watching from the very beginning.

Welcome to the boards Fardog!
In my opinion, the show will still be interesting for you if you start watching it now and not from the beginning. Each episode will still have its individual storylines and plots so its not like you will be totally clueless. But the shows will dive into on-going storylines and background with the characters so thats when it might be a little confusing. If your up for the idea of watching every single episode, go for it. They definitely wont let you down, never a dull moment!

I'd recommend watching the first few episodes to get an idea of who the characters are, but feel free to watch them out of sequence if you want, most cases are solved in a single episode and the character development doesn't get in the way of the cases. I got into CSI very late on and saw later episodes before I went back and watched season 1. Since then, I've enjoyed going back to said later episodes and 'getting' some of the stuff I didn't understand first time round.

I've only recently (about 6 months ago) started watching CSI. I watched a few season 7 episodes, then decided that, for me, it would be better to start at the beginning, because, relationships do change, and it's good to watch the development over the years.

I'm on season 5 now, and am really glad that I started watching from the beginning, but I suppose it depends.

bubbles said:
I've only recently (about 6 months ago) started watching CSI. I watched a few season 7 episodes, then decided that, for me, it would be better to start at the beginning, because, relationships do change, and it's good to watch the development over the years.
I'm on season 5 now, and am really glad that I started watching from the beginning, but I suppose it depends.

Same thing with me. I started watching CSI Las Vegas regularly in December, starting from the beginning. I like the slow and steady evolution of the characters, but also of the show itself (camera shots, special effects, style...), so for me, the chronological order was best.

I started with a few episodes of season 5 but I then started from season 1 and went from there. You certainly can watch it without missing things but one thing you maybe missing out on is the comments made in various threads here. I know on the CSI Forum some of us are going back and talking about Nick from the Pilot on. If you want to join in those discussions it's best to start the DVD's at the beginning :)

I actually began watching CSI late as well, I began in late season 4 while at the same time watching re-runs on SpikeTV. Since CSI is not a serial drama you can watch it anyway you choose, however as some pointed out there are exceptions to some story lines and character situations.

Before you spend money at Best Buy,Circuit city,Target, or Wal-Mart I would suggest you check Amazon.com. I Have gotten the first few seasons of CSI there for about $25.00 each. You might check Ebay too.

The thing with procedurals is you don't have to watch them from the beginning. Yes, you might miss a little thing here and there, but it doesn't detract too much from your understanding of the plot. One of TPTB for another procedural said it best, I think, "The little character things we put in are more of a reward for the people that DO watch them from the beginning and hang on every week. But there isn't too much that those who don't watch the show religiously can still enjoy it." I'm paraphrasing of course, but you get the idea...

Welcome, btw. ;)

I started watching Miami... last year? :lol: And they were reruns. Season Four reruns, to be exact. I started on "Shock" and watched from there, A&E going back and forth so I got a mixed dose of Season 2 & Season 4. If you watch the reruns often enough, you'll get a general idea of what's going on. If you like what you see, you'll have seen every ep by the writers strike ends and new episodes begin to air. :)

I suppose it all depends on what CSI show you like watching best. I would recommend watching it on TV first, before buying the DVDs. When I first started watching the Las Vegas CSI about six years ago, I started from Season 2, and really enjoyed it, so I got Season 1, and enjoyed that too. So if you start watching later, then enjoy it, I suppose you could buy the DVDs, but that's just the way I do things :)

Back