New 7 wonders

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by poison girl, Jun 29, 2007.

1. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

As many of you Know, next july 7 (07/07/07) there will be known the new 7 wonders of this time in a ceremony in Lisbon (Portugal). Votes are still open at http://www.new7wonders.com/, and there you will find the complete list of the wonders into the cometition.

The ancient ones were the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, the Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

The candidates to be the new wonders are Acropolis of Athens, the Alhambra of Granada, from Spain, Angkor Wat from Camboya, Chichen Itza from Mexico, the Christ the Redeemer from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the Colosseum in Rome, Italy, the Easter Island Moais Mystery, in Chile, the Eiffel Tower of Paris, France, the Great Wall of China, the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey, the Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto, Japan, the Kremlin, Red Square, and Saint Basil's Cathedral from Moscow, Russia, the Machu Picchu in Cuzco, Perú, the Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, the Petra, in Jordan, the Pyramids of Giza, Egypt, the Statue of Liberty in New York City, United States, the Stonehenge in Amesbury, United Kingdom, the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia, the Taj Mahal, in Uttar Pradesh, India, and Timbuktu, located in Mali.

Have you seen in person any of the possibles wonders? What do you think about them?

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

THANKS> for posting this. I heard about the new wonders, but I enjoyed looking and reading about this ;) the only one I've seen, is the Statue of Liberty, on Staten Island, been there.. but would love to see them all!

3. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I'd like to see the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, the Colosseum, the Acropolis

because I've been to those places :)

4. Lunalove

Lunalove Police Officer

I've been to the Acropolis, the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall, Neuschwanstein Castle and the Sydney Opera House.

I think the Acropolis dissapointed me a little bit. Probably because of all the turists and maybe because the surroundings aren't as magical as the other places. But that isn't being entirely fair I suppose...

The Eiffel Tower looks it's best when viewed at night from afar. When all the little lights on it twinkle. But here I think it's more the magic of Paris butting in than the Tower itself.

The Great Wall is truely an amazing accomplishment, and what an idea. I was there in early winter and the fog was hanging quite low making it difficult to see very far, but it did give the experience a sense of mystique.

The same goes for Neuschwanstein. The snow came up to my knees, people were travelling up and down to the castle in horse drawn carriages, we stopped for Glühwein and the whole story about the place - from the Wagner inspired paintings to the King's supposed madness and subsequent (very mysterious) death.

The Opera House, well here I'm biased. I'm Danish, just as the architect Jørn Utzon, and prodigiously proud of both him and his achievement. The building itself is astonishing and it's situation between the busy Circular Quay and the tranquil Botanical Gardens is perfect. It fits in by being both a very modern building blending in to busy cosmopolitan life and the natural side of Sydney by being somehow very organic.

So it's not difficult to guess where my vote goes, huh? :lol:
    I do however desperatly hope that I'll get to visit if not all, then at least many of the nominated places as I think they are all incredible.

5. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I've been in the Eiffel tower and in La Alhambra de Granada.

The Eiffel tower dissapionted me in some way. Once you are beside of it, it's like the magic is gone. Yes, you got a very good view from Paris from there, but the monument itself is a bit dissapointing. As Lunalove said, is the magic of seeing it from other places of Paris.

The Alhambra, otherway, is really really amazing. It's a palace with all his original gardens and fountains, and seeing it, day or night, close or far, is really amazing.

I've been in the Alhambra a cople of times, last one two years ago in Christmas, and I really loved it. You can spend a whole day visiting it and have to come back again because you missed a lot of ditails. The views of Granada and the snowed mountains in winter are really magic, and seeing the Alhambra from afar in the night is really fantastic. I really ecommend people to visit it.

I think you all now know my favourite :lol:

6. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

Finally the new wonders are Chichén Itzá (Mexico), Christ Redeemer (Brazil), The Great Wall /China), Machu Picchu (Peru), Petra (Jordan), The Roman Colisseum (Italy), and Taj Majal (India).

The Alhambra did't made it, although I think is a real wonder :p

7. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

Yeah, those are the new ones. I have never been in any of them...

I am wondering if anyone here saw the show? I assited on TV. In my opinion it was pretty cool and beautiful, apart from the ending, with the "What a Wonderful World" song. If it wasn't for the great attitude everyone on stage and the public had, that moment would be tottaly ruined. JLo had an amazing performance ;)

8. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I been to the Chichén Itzá in Mexico. :D I love it there.

9. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I havent seen it but I would like to

I like the choices though I thought Acropolis would make it in the Top 7 :)

I only have been to Rome but I would love to visit Mexico and Peru