National Memorial Day Concert 2010

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, May 30, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

From the PBS Site (also reported twice on this site)

The Memorial Service for the Nation, Join Us As We Honor the Service and Sacrifice of Our Men and Women in Uniform and their Families. -- The 2010 National Memorial Day Concert Live on PBS from the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol. In High Definition!

Sunday, May 30, from 8:00 to 9:30 pm ET (See PBS.org for Listings)

The 2010 National Memorial Day Concert will focus on three main themes: honoring the sacrifices, suffering and love of a new generation of young military widows whose fallen spouses served in Iraq and Afghanistan; paying tribute on the 60th anniversary of the Korean War to the heroic service of the soldiers who fought and perished; paying homage to the more than 125,000 WWI and WWII service members who did not come home but rest in 24 military cemeteries in the foreign lands where they fought for liberty.

The program is co-hosted for the fifth year by Emmy Award-winner Gary Sinise ("CSI: New York") and Tony Award-winner Joe Mantegna ("Criminal Minds"), two acclaimed actors who have dedicated themselves to veterans' causes and supporting our troops in active service. Joining them will be an all-star line-up of dignitaries, actors and musical artists.

For more than 20 years this top-rated annual program has honored the service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform, their families at home and all those who have given their lives for our country. The show is broadcast live in High Definition from the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol before an expected live audience of hundreds of thousands, to millions more at home and, via American Forces Network to the nearly one million American service men and women, Department of Defense civilians and their families overseas, stationed at bases in 175 countries as well as 140 U.S. Navy ships at sea.

The 2010 National Memorial Day Concert features a host of award-winning stars and well-known personalities.

Gary Sinise
    Joe Mantegna
    General Colin L. Powell, USA (Ret.)
    Brad Paisley
    Lionel Richie
    Kelli O'Hara
    Dennis Haysbert
    Yolanda Adams
    Katherine Jenkins
    Blythe Danner
    A.J. Cook
    Maestro Jack Everly
    The National Symphony Orchestra
    Military District of Washington
    U.S. Army Herald Trumpets
    The U.S. Army Chorus
    The Soldiers’ Chorus of The United States Army Field Band
    U.S. Army Chorale
    U.S. Navy Band Sea Chanters
    U.S. Air Force Singing Sergeants

See links provided for bio's of those listed, and more about the concert.

2. Destiny

I know I am double posting, and I will yell at myself later. ;)

This was the greatest tribute I have seen in a long time, they did a beautiful job on it, from the singing, to the reaccounting, to the story telling of three men in battle, and another of a young woman who lost her young husband and found friendship with others in the same situation.

Joe & Gary did an awesome job. The weather was lovely, the crowd, the setting sun, and to see the soldiers of past and present, those whom attended from Walter Reed, words can not imo begin to describe this totally generous, thoughtful, spectacular event. Maybe some words can but there are so many more...

I don't know about anyone else but several times tears came to my eyes, they honored so many, past and present, living and gone. A Salute the way it should be done.

Gary Tweeted about it, and I am sure Joe will to and maybe even AJ Cook, both J & G have pics of behind the scenes, and during the show. This tribute if I had to try and sum it up in one word... Classy!

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

does anyone know if it's going to be online at any time? i'd have like to see it but i can't find it anywhere :( it was nice to see gary's fairly regular tweets about it, and joe's too :)

4. Destiny

5. Destiny

So you know I couldn't find where they were, but I did Email PBS asking them if they were planning to re-air it and also if they plan to air it free online. I promise to let you and some others who wondered know as soon as I know.

6. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ oh, thanks, that's excellent :)