My Boys

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by midnight_tiptoes, Dec 6, 2006.

1. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Really, really not bad for TBS's first sitcom! Some info for those of you who haven't watched:

[​IMG]

Being "one of the guys" can mean a lot of great things: poker games, pick-up softball games, watching sports or just hanging out at a favorite bar. But for PJ Franklin, played by Jordana Spiro (JAG, Must Love Dogs), being a girl who’s one of the guys can be challenging.

PJ (Jordana Spiro) is a twenty-something sports reporter for the Chicago Sun Times. At first glance, she’s a typical young single woman--smart, attractive, outgoing, personable. Her boys are her family, which sometimes hinders PJ's dating life, as the men she tries to date don't know how to react to her unconventional interests and the all-important men in her life.

PJ’s group of friends includes her brother, Andy (Jim Gaffigan), whose wife keeps him on an all-too-short leash; Mike (Jamie Kaler), a commitment-challenged ladies man who works for the Chicago Cubs; Kenny (Michael Bunin), a sports-memorabilia store owner who hasn't mastered the art of dating; and Brendan (Reid Scott), a hard-rock DJ whose on-again, off-again romance with his girlfriend often leaves him crashing at PJ's apartment; and the most recent addition to the group, Bobby (Kyle Howard) a sportswriter for the Chicago Tribune, the Windy City's rival newspaper. PJ's friend Stephanie (Kellee Stewart), who she's known since journalism school, does her best to give PJ advice on men and dating from a more female point-of-view.

Tonight's episodes were great. I noticed tonight that one of the things I love is how they dress PJ. Usually on television, when they have a tomboy character, they really just dress her in cool, girly clothes, girly hair, etc, and just have her talk about sports a lot. You rarely see a realistic tomboy on television. But PJ really does dress like a guy sometimes, and her hair is very neglected. Jordana Spiro does a great job playing those tomboy mannerisms.

Plus, I love Jim Gaffigan. He's hilarious. All the guys are. Bring it on.

2. SincerelyInDenial

SincerelyInDenial Police Officer

My Boys is such a great show. When I first saw advertisements for it, I wasn't interested to be honest, but then I caught an encore airing and am now hooked!

All the guys are great. I love Kyle Howard - he was so awesome on (the now defunct) Related.

Spiro's wardrobe is very casual and true to the she plays. I also love how Stephanie is the complete and utter opposite to her.

After watching tonight's episodes I am inrtigued to see what will happen - especially with Bobby. They say they're just friends...

Right. :lol:

3. Megan930

Megan930 Rookie

This is one of my favorite new shows. As soon as I saw the preview for the first ep I had to watch it. For some reason it kind of reminds me of sex and the city. I love how she can hang out and be one of the guys and then get dressed up and girly to hang out with Stephanie.

Plus, I'm always complaining that there is never anything on tv Tuesday nights.

4. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

I totally missed it. I saw the promo for it and wanted to watch it but I was watching season 2 of NCIS because of the returns that were on and totally forgot about it. But it sounds like its good so I just need to remember to watch it. I hope I can catch the episode in reruns. Might have to come back and ask a few questions after watching it. ;)

5. SincerelyInDenial

Have no fear, CSI_Watcher_8! You can catch all the episodes online at TBS.com or you can watch last night's repeats tonight at 11PM/EST. Only four episodes have aired, so you haven't missed much and they're in half hr. segments.

6. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

i wasn't really interested in thsi show, despite loving kyle howard(paper brigade anyone?) but i watched it last saturday at like 2 in the morning and it was funny as heck, and now i really like it.

7. midnight_tiptoes

I really wish TBS wouldn't show important spoilers in their promos. How stupid are they?

8. SincerelyInDenial

Oh man...I've missed the commercials. Care to share, Caro?

9. midnight_tiptoes

One of the promos shows...

PJ and Bobby in bed.

Why would they reveal something like that?

10. SincerelyInDenial

That's really dumb on their part to reveal something like that. Or perhaps, it could be a twist to lead the viewer to think it has happened when it was only a dream sequence.

But then again, it could be the former. And I really think it is. Bad TBS, bad!

11. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

whoa now, i don't remember that part ha. wow that is really stupid for them to do that.

12. SincerelyInDenial

I think last night's episodes were interesting in how they explored the dynamics of relationships. When a girl is in a relationship, usually her friends take the brunt of being placed in the back burner. But I think for girls it's understandable and in most cases, forgiveable. However, it was nice to see that the boys were upset with PJ, especially after her dicking around comment. I also found the scene where Wendy and PJ bond over booze to be quite funny. I think we all meet someone at some point in our lives that we feel we cannot absolutely tolerate and have been forced to hang out with. And after finally hanging with them, Hank decides he doesn't wanna "chill" with the boys because of lack of common interests. Now PJ's at a crossroads... where do her loyalties lie? With the new boyfriend or with her friends? Hopefully she'll find a balance.

I am really annoyed that TBS website for My Boys has basically given away the entire plot for the next two episodes: Free Agent and Superstar Treatment.

I didn't think they would...but they did. And now I wanna gauge out my eyes for now being spoiled for Free Agent. Stupid stupid TBS! :mad:

13. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

I've caught a few more episodes and I'm still not sure about this show. The concept is great but... I don't know. Guess I will try to watch a few more before I make a final decision on whether to watch or not.

14. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

...i just want to say that i do no tlike hank. brendan especially was being completely nice to him, and he just doesn't really care. and i loved trouty i got so excited when he came on i literally yelled 'oh its david from roseanne!' people stared it was fun.

15. SincerelyInDenial

I liked Hank until the last ten minutes of the episode. I don't think he's being necessarily fair to PJ. Brendan was wicked nice with him and was so happy to see them playing darts.I figured that they actually bonded.

Guess I was wrong.

Oh and yes...Trouty! I didn't recognize him at first 'til my mom yelled at the TV.