'Miami' Takes A Back Seat To 'Castle'

CSI Files

Captain
The latest episode of CSI: Miami lost the battle against ABC’s Castle on Monday, March 22. “Dishonor” pulled in 10.73 million viewers and a 3.3 rating/9 share in the 18-49 demographic prized by advertisers. This wasn’t enough to beat Castle, which earned 12.94 million viewers and 3.6/10. NBC was third for the hour with 5.93 [...]

More...

Ouch! I knew that was coming sooner or later. Castle is a really good show with two leads that have awesome chemistry.

Hopefully this will get the attention of TPTB with CSI Miami and they'll play closer attention.

It's really too bad it had to happen in a Horatio/Kyle centric episode (and a good one with excellent acting by both Evan and David) that also did a good job of including the other cast members. It's not reflective of how good the CSI Miami episode running against it was, but I doubt some will take that into consideration when placing blame for the rating's loss.

Part of the bump in Castle's ratings can probably be attributed to the fact that it aired after the season premiere of Dancing With the Stars - time will tell if Castle keeps the extra viewers and/or if Miami recovers from the loss.

BTW, random question: what's the significance of y'all's icons/locations? I don't visit the Miami forum, so I'm curious. :)

There was a ratings overrun from Dancing, and the final numbers show that Castle reduced from 3.6 to 3.3 in the 18-49 category, just beating Miami. So it wasn't that bad, but bad enough to be concerned. I too hope this is a wakeup call for Miami to listen more to the fans. This has been building all season; the fans were williing to wait and see if improvements were made and have left for awhile to check out other shows.

Part of the bump in Castle's ratings can probably be attributed to the fact that it aired after the season premiere of Dancing With the Stars - time will tell if Castle keeps the extra viewers and/or if Miami recovers from the loss.

Thanks for the explanation, Faylinn. While it's still a matter of concern for CSI Miami, it does explain a lot. I completely forgot about the season premiere of Dancing With the Stars!

Castle really is a good show with two very attractive leads that have amazing chemistry. I've known since it's premiere that it would eventually give CSI Miami a problem.

BTW, random question: what's the significance of y'all's icons/locations? I don't visit the Miami forum, so I'm curious. :)

Since the story behind the icons/locations is off-topic, I'll PM you with a brief explanation. :)

I don't know a lot about rating and the shows you're mentioning. We have an Italian version of "Dancing with the stars", but I'd better not talk about it :lol:. As for Castle...well it is a rather new show for us and not everyone is able to watch it (you need pay per view channels) and I usually don't watch it 'cause it still has to "catch" me ;)

So I'd say I don't know what you're referring to, but I do know that I was expecting this to happen sooner or later. I was also kind of sure it was gonna happen in an episode like this. It's bad 'cause it is, but oh well I always thought it was gonna happen in one episode when the people who usually are in background (especially in this season) were gonna have something to do....in this particular case David Caruso. He's been in the background the whole season. He didn't have anything to do except for a couple of scenes and by the end of the season, they decided that it was time to give him something...all I'm gonna say is "alleluja".

I mean you just can't give anything to the protagonist of the show for most of the season without consequences. You just can't go on with controversial storylines that already proved to be harmful to the show (I recall the epsiode which got the lowest ratings last year :rolleyes:) and the fanbase and expect your show to win.

I also think that it happend with this episode because after some boring and annoying episodes/storylines, it had to happen sooner or later....the viewers opted for the "sooner"...I guess :shifty:

I really hope this is going to trigger something in TPTB's mind 'cause, as far as it concerns me, the whole franchise is getting old...no wonder why after 8 years this show isn't obtaining the viewers it once used to :p

Thanks for the heads up, Theresa. I thought there might be some spillover. For anybody who is curious, here are the broadcast finals, courtesy of Travis Yanan over at PI Feedback (since I use the fast national overnight ratings to do the articles for CSI finals):

Castle (58 minutes)
- 12.207 million viewers
- 3.3/9 A18-49

CSI: Miami
- 10.795 million viewers
- 3.2/9 A18-49
Miami still got spanked, but not quite as hard. :p

The ratings look swapped ...yikes! I hadn't thought about the premiere of 'Dancing/Stars', I thought it might have had something to do with all the repeats in between new episodes. I know personally if I don't follow a schedule closely (the only one I follow IS Miami) I'll forget when a new episode is airing & miss it.

Hopefully this will get the attention of TPTB with CSI Miami and they'll play closer attention.
Yep, I'm hoping this slaps them in the face & they won't make excuses for the dip...like the one I just used above :p
In all seriousness, the series is showing it's age, & unfortunatly it hasn't been like fine wine. I hope they consider some good & necessary! changes for the next season.

Ouch. That really sucks! I'm hoping that someone does take notice... The show hasn't even been renewed yet, but the resigning of Adam/Eric should be a sure sign, hopefully.

And I'm still hoping we don't lose a cast regular. That's the last thing we need!!!

WOW!! That was bad.To be fair ,I am more of a casual viewer and the lack of Eric has not helped but this is getting serious.But in general,IMO all CSI shows are starting to decline a little.

Back