Merlin.

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Daquien, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Anyone is watching this 13 episodes series on the BBC about the adventures of a young Merlin?

Cast: Colin Morgan (Merlin), Richard Wilson (Gaius), Anthony Stewart Head (king Uther Pendragon), Angel Coulby (Gwen), Katie McGrath (Morgana) and Bradley James (Prince Arthur).

[​IMG]

2. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

*Bumping this up*

Merlin has been re-commissioned for a second series, by Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning and BBC One Controller Jay Hunt, it was confirmed today.
    Starring Colin Morgan, Bradley James, Anthony Head and Richard Wilson, Merlin has enchanted family audiences in one of the most competitive slots on TV since the transmission of the first episode on 20 September 2008, averaging an audience of 6.2 million viewers for the first 8 episodes, with a 28% average share. Merlin also has an average audience of 1.8 million viewers for the narrative repeat on Sundays. (BBC)

3. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

I recall reading something some where that NBC in America was either going to be broadcasting this series or doing their own version.....can someone help clarify this for me?

4. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^From TvGuide:

5. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Thanks. So it'll be an entire different cast then? Is Season one on dvd yet? Sounds like an intriguing show.

6. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^It's not a different cast, that's the British cast. NBC is going to air the original one eventually.

About the DVDs read here.

7. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

WHOA! the last time this thread was active was in JANUARY! no one watch the new series that started last night!?!?!
    what did you think? good, bad?
    personally, i wasnt to keen on it but what do YOU think?

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i quite liked it but i wasn't massively impressed, but then i seem to remember the last series took a while to warm up (at least for me) as well so it might well improve. i do quite like the silly bantery thing going on between merlin and arthur, i think they're well matched. and guinevere is absolutely gorgeous :) the only thing that bothers me is anthony head - which is odd because i think he's a legend, i dunno, he always seems a bit half hearted in it. it might just be that it's not the kind of show i'd have thought he might do anyway, so maybe it just seems a bit weird to see him in it. he was better in the gold blend ads ;) and little britain of course - his prime minister/sebastian skit was one of the best bits of that show. (and i suppose buffy but i was never a fan)

9. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

Well, overall I thought it was an interesting episode… not the greatest first episode ever though… I think it lacked a bit of a new series buzz – it almost felt as if they went straight in without establishing much. Like where the characters stood after the series finale, what was the impact of the series finale, etc. It just lacked something BIG if you ask me. But otherwise, in terms of it as an episode in general - Good!

There is a longer commentary, with random reactions to the episode on my LiveJournal - http://lyzabethsay.livejournal.com/

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ yeah i thought that too - they obviously wanted to start the series with a bang, which is fair enough, but it went from 0-150000 in about 3 minutes! a bit more preamble might have helped.

11. lal

lal Pathologist

hi I have to agree with what been said :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  12. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

So I haven't seen last weeks episode, I'll be watching it on the BBC Iplayer at some point. But I have to say I did love the last series of this show even though I was only able to watch bits and bats. Saturday evening is definately not the best time for me to watch it with X factor and all the other stuff that comes on then but I do love it and intend to watch alot of it this season hopefully.

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^that's why i'm so glad i have sky+! anyway, i've given up on x factor now, i find the live shows really boring, i just like the bits where they cock up and cry a lot :)

i quite liked last week's merlin - i'm wondering what will happen with morgana, the dragon said she was going to turn out bad so i hope she does!

14. lal

lal Pathologist

i really like last week episode , i have to agree it will be interesting to see what will happen with Morgana .

15. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I actually watched this show for the first time last week. I thought it was ok, much better than I thought it would be, in fact. Ive always liked the Merlin/ Arthur stories but I think I was put off by the fact that this was in the Robin Hood slot, which I hated, and kinda associated them. I will definitely watch an epi again sometime.