Melina Kanakaredes Fan Project: Plant Your Roots in Greece

MrsGiovinazzo

CSI Level Three
We have a new Melina fan project being coordinated by glam_chick86, formerly known as jorja_fan86.

Here's the opening post written by glam_chick86:

If any of you reading this have been following international news, especially in Greece, you will know of the great tragedy that the fires have been causing to the land and the citizens. Hellenics from all over the world are being affected and I can assure you that Melina is no different. We all know how proud she is of her roots, of her heritage. When I thought of that I realized that now would be a great time to make a new fan project. However, this one has a twist. Instead of writing how you admire Melina or worship Stella, you will be writing a paragraph on what Greece means to you. Maybe you hold a special place in your heart for philosophy and philosophers, such as the work of Aristotle. Maybe you’re grateful for the likes of souvlaki, pita bread and tzaziki. Or, maybe you love the invention of the Olympics. It really doesn’t matter as long as it relates to the country of Greece.

However, expressing your love for the greatest country isn’t the only part of this project. As you’re reading this, Greece is losing its homes, people, crops, livestock, forests and much, much more. Greece alone cannot come up with the funds to return to the way it once was so this is where you come in. Plant Your Roots in Greece is a world wide cause that raises money to plant trees to repair the forests. Not only that, part of the money will go to the victims of the nation-wide tragedy. Now, I know donating money will be a challenge. You may not have the sufficient funds or you may not feel motivated as Greece has nothing to do with you. But please, put that aside and look into your heart. I’m not doing this to make you feel guilty. My homeland is being burnt to ashes & people are dying as we speak. Not only are you doing this for my ancestor’s country but you are doing this for Melina. I mean, she’ll be over joyed to know that you want to help out. Just know that any donation, big or small, will help. It all starts with someone, and that someone is you.

Now, here are the requirements:

• One paragraph, maximum 200 words of what Greece means to you.
• *optional* A donation to Plant Your Roots in Greece

Once I look more into Plant Your Roots in Greece, I will pass on more information. What I know is that it is a legit cause that will aid both the citizens and country of country. Just show how you care, whether it be a paragraph, donation or more. If you decide to donate, I will add in a document that will show Melina your generosity. However, I will need some sort of proof as it’s easy to lie about donating. I doubt any of you would lie, but I’m not taking any chances as this matter is no joke.

Until you make up your mind on what you want to do, please pray for Greece and the Hellenics around the globe.

Finally, I will accept submissions via email so please PM me for my hotmail address. Thank you, and I look forward to many submissions and many donations.

EDITORIAL NOTE: The links were added in by MrsG. I'm sure there has got to be a site for the non-profit itself with an easier means of donating - such as online via credit card. But I didn't find it with a quick google search, so perhaps glam_chick can let us know if she finds anything else.

Thank you Mrs.G for approving the project & for creating the opening thread & post.

Guys, I know that donating might be a challenge but even $10.00 could make the slight difference in a families life. I personally am more motivated than ever after my yiayia informed me that her village in Tripoli burnt down :(.

If there are any further comments or questions, post them here or pm them to me. Let's get the contributions starting :cool:.

Re: Melina Kanakaredes Fan Project: Plant Your Roots in Gree

Man, I saw the fires blazing in Greece on the news. I'm on the other side of the world, and even I was pissed off about it. I'm sorry to hear what happened to your yiayia's village, glam_chic86. I hope the arsonists who started the fire are caught fast. :mad:

A 200-word paragraph on what Greece means to me ... looks like I'll have to trim my long-windedness, heh. It'd be awesome if the Plant Your Roots in Greece program had an online payment system. I'm not too sure about sending cheques by mail. Lost a few before that way.

Awww, thanks Kimmy. *hugs* They say it's the worst thing to happen to Greece since WW2 but just finding out that my yiayia's village, the area where she grow up, is gone makes me sick. I hope those bastards are caught soon & I hope they will pay with fire :mad:.

I'm thinking of making the word limit longer but it all depends on how I plan to organize everything & how big the book will be. Also, I'm looking into finding a place in which you can donate online. Sometimes cheques aren't so reliable.

Thanks for the support :D. I hope to see more of it :).

*eta* Here are tons of ways to donate:

Donation information: Ways to help

"Greek Fire Fund" with PAYPAL

http://www.GreekBoston.com (will be directed to the Hellenic Red Cross)

"Plant Your Roots in Greece"

http://www.saeusa.org/content/view/81/65/lang,en/ (mass reforesting effort)

"AHEPA Relief Fund"

https://secure.doublematrix.com/ahepaonline-com/contribute.aspx

"Hellenic Red Cross" (also seeking donations of blankets, tents, clothing, tooth brushes, ect.)

http://www.redcross.gr/files/preliminary_emergency_appeal.pdf

Bank of Greece Account...

http://www.bankofgreece.gr/en/announcements/text_release.asp?relid=1460

EFG EUROBANK ERGASIAS AE Account
Bank Account: 0026 0240 34 0200879543
IBAN: GR 440260 2400 0003 40200879543
Swift Code: EFGBGRAA

ALPHA BANK Account
Bank Account: 101-00-2002-005560
IBAN: GR 90 0140 1010 1010 0200 2005 560
Swift Code: CRBAGRAAXXX

AGRICULTURAL BANK OF GREECE Account
Bank Account: 017.04.003328.32
IBAN: GR 11 0430 6240 0001 7040 0332 832
Swift Code: ABGRGRAA

If you are in Canada:

Donate at ScotiaBank:

661 Danforth Ave.
Acct # 84772-01297-12

If you are in Australia:

Donate at any Commonwealth Bank:
Greek Bushfire Relief Fund
BSB: 065-005
Account Number: 1017-7616

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America Greek Relief Fund http://www.goarch.org

www.helpgreecenow.org

Thank you, thank you.

Great project Mina! I'm glad that you came with this idea, I'm sure that I'll participate in this one :D *runs of to begin with writing*

I am not a big participator and have never done a fan project and I do not plan to actually participate in this project as far as the essay part. However, I was in Greece back in 2001 and it is a beautiful country and it is so sad to see what has happened there as a result of the fires. I really enjoyed my visit to Greece -- marred only by the fact that I was there on 9/11 which definitely put a damper on the end of my trip and caused a lot of trouble actually leaving Greece, but that is another story.

Anyway, while I won't be participating in this fan project, you have motivated me to donate money to one of the organizations listed above. Thank you for the idea.

Great job coming up with a nice long list of ways people can donate to this cause, including online donations!

^ No problem. I'm sure there are many more & I will make it my duty to search for them.

Thanks Soraya :D. I'd knew you'd help out heehee.

Private, I'm sorry to hear that your experience wasn't the greatest. The great thing about Greece is that you can visit anytime & fall in love with the country every single time. With your donation I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy your next visit :).

Remember, everyone has the option of doing a write up, giving a donation, or both.

Everyone who has donated will be awknowledged in the final page of the book. I will write your name, username & possibly the amount donated. I want Melina to know how generous everyone is :).

I'll start of with a twenty dollar cheque to the fire relief fund being set up by a local Hellenic community. Hopefully a lot of us can match that & keep it coming :D.

Anyone :(.

Maybe a deadline should get you guys cracking :p:

DEADLINE: Wednesday, October 3rd at 2:00 PM, Pacific time. There will be no extensions granted, as there was plenty of time. However, donations can keep on running :).

I participate occasionally (am mostly your quiet lurker/watcher), this seems like something that I can do, and if I can come out of my shell to do so, so can you. This isn't something that will be fixed quickly, but if I can do my part then I will.

Thank you so much for your kind words & participation joy7. Hopefully what you said will bring more people out :).

Mina very different and original fan project, yet so meaningful and I think Melina is going to be really touched by it.

I would really like to participate and donate, but I don't know wheter I will be able to or not. I have never done an online payment or anything, so I don't really know how it works. I will have to talk with my parents as well. Being 14 has some things attached to it :p I will make sure to take some time to look at it and understand how it works. But I am afraid I might have problems with donating *ponders*

Back