Location, Location, Location

CSI Files

Captain
When it comes to the CSI franchise, the cities are more than just the backdrop.

In the beginning, CSI:Crime Scene Investigation was meant to take place in Las Vegas, but the crimes were supposed to seem as though they could happen anywhere. Over time, however, Las Vegas "organically crept in as a character," CSI executive producer <font color=yellow>Carol Mendelsohn</font> told The Washington Post. From the dominatrix Lady Heather (<font color=yellow>Melinda Clarke</font>) to boxing matches, Las Vegas became a big part of the show. "I do think Vegas and CSI have become married to each other," Mendelsohn said.

Miami was chosen for the second show in the franchise. "The sky is different, the clouds are different, the air is like cotton," said CSI:Miami's executive producer <font color=yellow>Ann Donahue</font>. The different setting affected the appearance of the show as well as the cases themselves. Miami has sharks in the ocean and alligators in the Everglades. "You could not do that in any other city and have that kind of fear," Donahue said.

New York was an immediate part of the third CSI show, from the density and diversity of the human population to the iconic landmarks. The look of the show, however, took some time to establish. "When we first started out, it was dark and very grainy and felt like an independent film," said <font color=yellow>Melina Kanakaredes</font> (Stella Bonasera). When viewers didn't tune in, the show lightened up. The difference reminded Kanakaredes of living in the city early in her career and being able to move to a different apartment when she began to make money. "I could see a whole 'nother New York," she said.

To read the entire article, please visit the Washington Post.<center></center>

The different setting affected the appearance of the show as well as the cases themselves
I think that's why they have managed to sustain 3 shows, which by their original design, could have ended up being indistinguishable from each other.

I think that on the whole they use the cities fairly well, but they could do more. I know it says that it was meant that the crimes could happen anywhere, but often the best cases in my opinion are the ones that utilise their 'home' surroundings the best.

They could do with using New York more I think, or perhaps using the different aspects of New York better. It's not all upscale apartments and rich kids. All three CSI shows suffer with this problem, whilst using their surroundings works well, they also all suffer from occassional overkill and stereotyping.

I guess what is most impressive is that all three are shot in LA, most of the time you'd never tell! But it's nice to know that they do try and film on location when possible.

Thanks for the article, as you can tell, I found it interesting. :D

Elsie said:
I know it says that it was meant that the crimes could happen anywhere, but often the best cases in my opinion are the ones that utilise their 'home' surroundings the best.
I agree. Something like a rat swallowing a bullet could only happen in NY, etc. More generalized cases are nice, but every once in a while it's nice to see something that couldnt happen on one of the other shows. ;)

Faylinn said:
Something like a rat swallowing a bullet could only happen in NY

Yeah, and actually managing to find said rat could only happen in a CSI show. :lol:

Elsie said:
Faylinn said:
Something like a rat swallowing a bullet could only happen in NY
Yeah, and actually managing to find said rat could only happen in a CSI show. :lol:
Yeah, and a CSI performing a rat-opsy is probably something that would only happen on CSI as well. :lol:

Back