Life on Mars

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by pilgrim, Jul 27, 2006.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

This is a great show on bbc and I love the characters.

After having been the chief detective in 2006, he's ostensibly hit by a car and knocked into 1973 (or somehow functioning in 1973 and in a coma). Come to find out he's just a lowly (though somehow 2nd in command and newly transferred) detective in '73 and his chief is a brute with a heart (à la Andy Sipowicz in NYPD Blue).

His frustration with the forensics capabilities make me wish he had Grissom along to do the MacGyver with ordinary objects found in the home.

2. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I love this show too, it's one of favourites of the last couple of years. Are you watching from the UK or US?

3. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

The US, so I've only seen the first episode and we're 7 months behind but the BBC site makes reference to "next year" so I'm hopeful it will go on for some time.

4. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

There's definitely going to be another series. The BBC comissioned a second before the first had finished so that shows how popular it is over here.

You've got some great episodes to come over there in the US. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series as much as the first episode.

5. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

Thanks 1881. Good to know that it will be back for sure.

I even liked the "jumping over the desk" scene because Sam and Hunt finally meshed when it came to the sound-proofed room. It's possibly a coma dream so this could be a dream sequence.

6. Natasha Romanoff

Natasha Romanoff Police Officer

Life on Mars is brilliant and as my sister said, 1881 is my sister, you have got some good episodes to come. I really liked this one because it's not like the other cop shows out there, ok so they're not all the same granted (i.e Waking the Dead and Silent Witness are diff) but i'm glad i started watching it and it's a great show. It's different, as i've just said, and it's got me hooked.

I'm looking forward to season 2, and when i can i'm going to get S1 on DVD, it's out on DVD now here in the UK.

What episode are you up to by the way.

And am i the only one who thinks there's something between Sam and Annie, i just think they look quite close as if they might get together.

7. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

Aiden, I saw the second episode the other night. A girl is injured by a suspect and Sam is blamed because he wasn't going to hold the perp without solid evidence. When the chief, Hunt, wanted to frame him to get him off the street, Sam said something like "where I come from, we don't keep acid and stolen bling just so we can go home early".

The characters are so well developed and love the growing friendship and respect between Sam and Hunt.

Annie is just perfect and I like the romance there. I hope they don't finish with a trip back to the present (or waking up) because that would be bitter-sweet if he tried to track her down - actually, I hope they just never finish with this show.

8. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I'm really interested to see how they end the show. However they end there are going to be some people who are disappointed. I don't know how I'd like it to end yet. But I agree pilgrim, I hope this show carries on for a long time to come.

9. Hankster

Hankster Coroner

I just watched Eps 1 & 2 from BBC America on Demand--it's a GREAT SHOW!!! It reminds me of a self-published comic book I did in the early 1990s called "Panama." It deals with a mysterious Private Detective that wears a Panama Hat, Hawaiian shirt, and white linen suit that comes to the aid of people in need at odd times. It turns out he's a projection of the mind of a cop who's been in a coma for a couple of years.

10. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

Can't get enough of this show and Hunt and Sam in particular.

Last night's show was about a factory where people were becoming redundant (That's correct? Like cut-backs lay-offs in the US) because of a new piece of machinery. A turn-coat at the factory dies supposedly at the hands of one man who seems to be protecting someone.

There's a scene where Sam wants Chris to sketch the blood spatter pattern and Chris and Hunt give him empty looks.
    Sam says something like..."It's a book, Blood Spatter Patterns by DH Something"
    Hunt: I'll wait for the film.
    Sam: You'd like it. It's got lots of pictures.

Just the idea that he knows the science but he's working in a vacuum...though he taught Chris the concept of multi-tasking.

Hankster, I can't draw and or write creatively so I envy you.

11. Hankster

Hankster Coroner

LOL! It's amazing to see the comparisons between 1973 and today--the lack of protective glass for use in a lineup for example in Ep 2! My daughter asked me if it was CSI when Sam said he was the CDI (Chief Detective Inspector)!

12. Natasha Romanoff

Natasha Romanoff Police Officer

DCI you mean, it's the other way round, just swapp the cheif and detective round.

I'm looking forward to s2 of Life on Mars, Sam is just so brilliant, and i didn't like Gene hunt before but i do now.

13. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

Aiden, I hope you and 1881 continue to post during the new episodes (January/February?). Just a chance I'll be going through withdrawal symptoms. I get confused about DI, DCI and what the other guys in the squad are called - not to mention Annie's position and the lady dispatcher.

And Hankster, I love the protective glass scene too.
    Sam: OK Leonard, now this bloke won't be able to touch you. You'll be standing behind special glass so he won't even be able to see you.

[Chris and Hunt give that quizzical look again. And for the line up they end up in a cafeteria with people still eating. Sam rolls his eyes and Hunt mumbles "special glass" to Sam.]

14. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

We definitely will, pilgrim. We'll keep you informed! And if you have any questions about anything we'll try to answer them! :)

15. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

Thanks, 1881. Last night's episode was fantastic. About corruption and some gangster who seemed to run the show in town (owned a nightclub). It's great when Sam and Hunt join forces to take care of business and I wish that you or your sister could translate when they start talking fast and furious. I know I miss some very funny stuff.

I'm glad this isn't necessarily time travel and could be a coma because they don't have to worry about all the weird science of time travel. It allows us to enjoy the comparison of old and new with Sam's intervention and the possiblilies without all the headaches. Yet, they didn't show his face in the picture of himself as a kid - just a nice director's touch...maybe.