Lewis Says 'Beautiful Chemistry' Sets 'CSI' Apart

CSI Files

Captain
According to former CSI: Crime Scene Investigation producer Richard J Lewis, the flagship series stands out from the competition, including the two CSI spinoffs. “It’s like when you eat really good sushi, it’s hard to find it, but when you do it’s the only thing you’ll go back for,” Lewis told HollywoodChicago.com. “It always separates [...]

More...

It’s always also good to be the first and not the copycat.

Disagreeing with him there. I've always preferred NCIS to JAG, and lately I've gotten really tired of CSI and have focused my attention more on Miami.

I agree with him saying there was a great chemistry with the original cast. Now, I would say not so much, but it was definitely present in the older seasons :)

“I think it mostly had to do with the ensemble we put together,” he continued. “William Petersen (Gil Grissom) and Marg Helgenberger (Catherine Willows), they are such fine actors, along with Jorja Fox (Sara Sidle), George Eads (Nick Stokes) and Gary Dourdan (Warrick Brown) in the original. These were actors who had a beautiful chemistry together, and the writing was very interesting, and it’s hard to write that kind of show.

So true, and this is exactly the reason I got hooked on the show. :)

“I think it mostly had to do with the ensemble we put together,” he continued. “William Petersen (Gil Grissom) and Marg Helgenberger (Catherine Willows), they are such fine actors, along with Jorja Fox (Sara Sidle), George Eads (Nick Stokes) and Gary Dourdan (Warrick Brown) in the original. These were actors who had a beautiful chemistry together, and the writing was very interesting, and it’s hard to write that kind of show.

So true, and this is exactly the reason I got hooked on the show. :)
Completely agree.
I know he ruffled some feathers with his statement (alluding to Miami and NY), but the cast chemistry of CSI is what made this show special, and I think it's what carries the show, even now without Gary and WP. The forensics' formula and the storylines will and have been duplicated, but the original cast cannot. The same could be said about a lot of shows (Friends, All In The Family, and now, Modern Family :) ).
A great interview. Thanks for posting! I always like hearing about what the cast and crew are doing outside of CSI.

This article made me really mad and I highly disagree with Lewis' statement. Sorry but what a jerk!

All three CSIs are different and have their very own style/rhythm. Yes, CSI Las Vegas has been there first and the writers are still doing an excellent job, but to consider the two spin-offs as copycats sounds very biased to me. CSI: Miami as well as CSI: NY have also very talented actors on the show and it's unfair to downgrade them just because they happen to be cast in the spin-offs. He didn't say it directly but I can read between the lines.

I would even say that the chemistry between the CSI: NY cast is the best of all three. They seem like a family that loves working together and that shows on screen. They are clicking with each other and I can't say that about the two other CSIs. I could never stand William Petersen, for example, and would not consider him a good actor. Point is, it is always a matter or personal taste!

I gotta say though the writing on CSI: Miami and CSI: NY has become very lame and I wish they would care about these show's quality story lines and character development/backstory facts as much as they do on CSI Las Vegas.

And last but not least, you'd have to consider every cop show as copycat too and so many other TV shows that are remakes or modern versions but still immensely successful these days.

I have to disagree with that statement I think all csi's have there chemistry and they all have a good cast....csi miami and new york may not have the best writers but i still think the chemistry is there and for him to call out miami was just rude i think csi miami them have the best cast and there chemistry is great....I think csi miami an NY this season is better than csi las vegas...

I have to agree and disagree. As an avid fan of all three shows, never missing an episode, I must say that they ALL have their OWN chemistry. Each show is different... The original is (and always has been) completely forensic driven. Miami is more cop like/action packed, and NY a mix of them both. To call them copycats is wrong, as I think they are all VERY different.

Same goes for the cast. Each cast blends perfectly with their show. I can't see Horatio or Mac in Vegas. And as much as I enjoy Langston, upon watching the earlier seasons, NO one can begin to replace the epic chemistry WP and GD brought to the table. I agree the writing is amazing this season, and probably does surpass the other two shows at the moment, but it has had it's off the wall moments as well....

That being said, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the article didn't really piss me off... the flagship show does deserve credit as the banner holder. The other two wouldn't be here, if not for it. Give credit where credit is due, I say. :)

*And to add to what DragonFriend said.... I like NCIS much better than Jag, and following along the steps, I like NCIS: LA better than the original NCIS!*

I have to agree and disagree. As an avid fan of all three shows, never missing an episode, I must say that they ALL have their OWN chemistry. Each show is different... The original is (and always has been) completely forensic driven. Miami is more cop like/action packed, and NY a mix of them both. To call them copycats is wrong, as I think they are all VERY different.

Agreed. I don't think copycat is accurate when you're talking about a spin-off. A copycat would be a show on another network that tries to be like CSI. Spin-offs are in a completely different category IMO. Its a no-brainer that any spin-off is going to have some similarities to the show it was spun from.

Same goes for the cast. Each cast blends perfectly with their show.

Agree with this as well. With the exception of Megan who was originally on Miami (Kim's a good actress, but didn't fit with the rest of the cast IMO), the chemistry was and is good on that show too. As for NY, the chemistry has been great since the beginning and even with the new addition of Jo is still great.

the flagship show does deserve credit as the banner holder. The other two wouldn't be here, if not for it. Give credit where credit is due, I say. :)

Exactly! :)

*And to add to what DragonFriend said.... I like NCIS much better than Jag, and following along the steps, I like NCIS: LA better than the original NCIS!*

I agree with this as well.

I did love the orginal cast, but things change. To me CSI is more fine-tuned now and the whole team is bonded, calmer, and happier, and the chemistry is incredible. I think S/9-10 & 11 have been exceptional and sensational:bolian: all episodes have been fantastic. Nothing stays the same, but it's still the best show on TV in my opinion~

Back