'Level 26: Dark Origins'

CSI Files

Captain
<b>Title</b>: <I>Level 26: Dark Origins</I><br /><b>Author</b>: Anthony E Zuiker with Duane Swierczynski<br /><b>Release Date</b>: September 8, 2009<br /><b>Publisher</b>: Dutton<br /><b>ISBN</b>: 978-0-525-95125-4<br /><b>Price</b>: $26.95<p><I>CSI</I> creator <font color=yellow>Anthony Zuiker</font> combines a thrilling, fast-paced narrative with a new spin on storytelling in his debut Digi-Novel. Written with <font color=yellow>Duane Swierczynski</font>, <i>Level 26: Dark Origins</i> tells the story of a group of investigators with the Special Circumstances (Special Circs) division of the federal government as they track down the highest ranking serial killers. There are 25 levels used to categorize serial killers, but Special Circs is working to find the only man ever placed in a category of his own: Level 26. The man is called Sqweegel, and he is known to have killed more than 50 people over the span of 20 years. He rapes, tortures, mutilates, shoots, burns and poisons his victims. He is literally able to get away with murder because there is no forensic evidence to tie him to his crimes. He wears a full body suit so that he doesn't leave so much as a skin cell behind at a crime scene. The only man who has ever come close to catching Sqweegel is Steve Dark (<font color=yellow>Daniel Buran</font>), but Dark left Special Circs behind for good after Sqweegel killed his entire foster family.<p>Dark is a compelling character, consumed by darkness and driven to the brink. After his family was killed, Dark headed down a morally grey path in an attempt to hunt Sqweegel down. Ultimately, he failed. When the story begins, Dark is still struggling to maintain the normalcy he was able to regain after he met his wife Sibby (<font color=yellow>Tauvia Dawn</font>). Meeting Sibby changed his life. Sibby, and the baby they're expecting together, is Dark's reason for living, and it's the reason he wants nothing to do with Special Circs or the hunt for Sqweegel. Unfortunately for Dark, staying away isn't an option. Sqweegel is a looming presence in his past, and the past has a way of catching up to people.<p>Tom Riggins (<font color=yellow>Michael Ironside</font>) is another interesting character, good at his job but not good at much of anything outside of that job. His relationship with Dark is stronger than his relationship with any of his ex-wives or estranged children. It provides an interesting dynamic between the men throughout the novel. Along with Constance Brielle (<font color=yellow>Ava Gaudet</font>), Riggins is Dark's main support within Special Circs. Constance is a character that doesn't get much focus in <i>Dark Origins</i>, but I find myself drawn to her. I'm curious to see how her character progresses in subsequent novels. Secretary of Defense Norman Wycoff (<font color=yellow>Glenn Morshower</font>) is another one I'm keeping my eye on. He is an intriguing character, but he is rarely the focal point of the action in <i>Dark Origins</i>. The character is undoubtedly important to the story, and it will be interesting to see where they take him.<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/reviews/csi/level_26_dark_origins.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

^ Just bought it this morning and I'm a little more than halfway through. :) Really enjoying it so far as well as the cyber-bridges.

Excellent review, Fay! :D You really do the book justice. I think it's a really cool read for anyone who is into thrillers. I really like the character of Steve Dark--for me, it's all about the hero. I really like James Patterson's Alex Cross novels because Alex Cross is just an awesome hero. I'm already excited for book two!

I'm glad you're enjoying it, speed - the cyber bridges took some getting used to (mainly because I'd have to keep putting the book to the side for an hour before I could use the computer - which is frustrating when you want to keep reading! :lol: I'm surprised that I managed to refrain from continuing to read when I couldn't get online immediately - I don't usually have that much self control ;)), but I thought it was cool to see bits and pieces of the novel come to life. It was almost like reading a story and watching bits of a TV show based on that story.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when you're done. :D

(BTW, is there a thread for the book anywhere on the board?)

Top41 said:

Excellent review, Fay! :D You really do the book justice.
Aww, thanks! :D

I really like the character of Steve Dark--for me, it's all about the hero.
I like Dark as well. I was surprised to find how much I like Constance - it may sound stereotypical, but I'm not usually the biggest fan of a lot of female characters (I'm not sure if it's me or the way the characters are written). I thought Constance was a very interesting character, and as I said in the review, I'm looking forward to learning more about her in the later books.

Ava Gaudet, by the way, is stunning. As is Tauvia Dawn. Two beautiful women to play two very strong - yet very different - women.

I'm already excited for book two!
Me too! :D

ETA: I found this thread you opened in July, Top. I couldn't find any other ones about the book that weren't in this section of the board - but I might be bad at searching. :lol:

Last edited:
Back