Kindergarten Project - Preparing Parents for Teaching Role?

Finch

Funnier in Enochian
Super Moderator
I found this article in my local newspaper so I thought it would be an interesting point for discussion.

Kindergarten project prepares parents for teaching role
Northeast schools 'welcome' plan helps entire families nuture learning.

Florence Loyie
Edmonton Journal Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 27th, 2007

As Najibi Rakie watched her four-year old son join a group for preschoolers in a Welcome to Kindergarten workshop Tuesday, she couldn't help but be impressed by what she was learning.

Although Rakie has two older children in school - the oldest in junior high - she never considered how important her role as a parent is in her children's education.

She didn't fully grasp that she, as a parent, is her children's first and best teacher.

"I learned a lot here," Rakie said after the workshop at Glengarry school attended by about 25 incoming kindergarten students and their parents. "It was good, very good, and I think it will be good for other parents too."

Glengarry is one of eight northeast Edmonton schools piloting the Welcome to Kindergarten program designed to help families - many of them aboriginal, immigrant or refugee - embrace and nurture a culture of learning in their homes.

The preschoolers recieved a bag full of school supplies, educational toys and picture books to help them start school. [...] The parents were shown, using the resources in the bag, how to play and do activities with their children at home to help them get ready for school.

[...] They were shown how forming a ball of playdough into a rope and cutting it into tiny pieces develops the fine motor skills little hands need in kindergarten. They learned that jumping or galloping helps hone gross motor skills and that skipping rope or bouncing a ball helps hand-eye coordination.

"It builds on the concept that the parent is the first teacher of the child." The program isn't just for students and parents. It also gives kindergarten teachers tips on how to win over families who may mistrust educational institutions.
floyie@journal.canwest.com

What do y'all think about this? Should the parents play a more abundant role in their child's education, or should the teachers and staff at schools hold the cards to ensure the child recieves all the skills and instruction needed to become successful?

Back