It's My Nature (Miami)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Finch, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Title: It's My Nature
    Author: speed_cochrane
    Rating: PG-13
    Genre: Action/Drama
    Characters: All characters from seasons 1-2
    Summary: The team investigate a series of mysterious child disappearances when a break in the case points them in the direction of a former foe.

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters. No suing! >.<

A/N: This story takes place pre season three. I decided to write this fic so I could branch out a little from my current project. Besides, the writers' strike will have me wanting to keep myself busy.

Fast. That was one word Horatio Caine would use to describe the city of Miami. The hustle and bustle was very remeniscent of the New York underground raves only these were at every block, advertised with large neon shapes, mostly looking like naked women or martini glasses and hyped up in a fashion that can only be described as simply 'Miami'. With every beat of the city, vibrance exploded into the atmosphere. It was a city where bright lights, celebrities, tricked out cars and beautiful women were seldom scarce. This, was a different heat than the temperature.

Sometimes Horatio became overly thankful for being placed on the Day Shift. Fitting in with the night lifestyle wasn't a desirable endeavour. He viewed a different Miami during the day, one where violence, gangs and delapidated communities shook the very fibres of the city. This was reality and not a drug-induced fantasty that the night seemed to portray.

The Miami Dade Hummer pulled into Opa-locka, a city within Miami known for having the highest violent crime rate in the United States. The Arabian nights theme decked around each building seemed to contradict with beauty and grace. However this beauty was devestatingly interrupted when the Hummer rolled to a stop on a small driveway facing a dirty cracker-box looking home.

Horatio exited his Hummer and met up with Yelina Salas who was standing behind the yellow tape guarding what was to be exposed by Horatio and his team in minutes.

"What have we got?" He asked, already pulling on a pair of latex gloves. The smell of recently brewed coffee flooded the area and was especially appealing to Horatio as a cup on the way would have made this easier.

"Mariela Diaz called in her daughter missing from her room two hours ago, a...Benita Diaz, seven years old." She explained briskly, not even needing a pad of paper for reference. Child abductions on this side of town were all too prevelant and the odds of finding the child were very slim, even Horatio knew that.

"Anyone talk to the mother?" He asked. Yelina nodded and turned her body slightly to reveal an older woman conversing with two patrol officers. Each of them had pens and papers, all the while trying to make out enough information through the woman's sobs.

Yelina turned her attention back to Horatio who was now looking upward at the large oval windows that inside harboured the only witness they had.

Calleigh Duquesne walked slowly into the child's bedroom, camera draped around her neck. Her crisp green eyes grazed every detail of the room before she started inward. The area was fairly large yet contained the normal items to be found in any small girl's room. A bed, dresser, toy box and an armada of stuffed animals. Calleigh observed the blanket on the bed had been pulled back, and took several photos of it.

She suddenly heard footsteps and the clink of metal near the door. Eric Delko and Calleigh exchanged glances for what seemed like minutes. Finally, Eric broke from his gaze.

"These cases never get easier." He stated as he opened his kit to reveal the fingerprint items. Eric made his way to the window, sure of himself that this was the easiest point of entry. The large plumes of the brush swept past the cracked lime green edges under the window.

"Got some partials here." Delko exclaimed dryly. Calleigh walked over and observed them for herself. "That's great but I have shoe treads." She retorted with an all too gleeful tone and smile. Eric laughed in response. It had always amazed him how she could light up a room even in the midst of the horror they view each day. Delko moved away from the window to get a better look at what Calleigh had described; Shoe treads. The female CSI's smile faded with her analysis of her findings.

"The only problem with these treads is they're nowhere near the window. They come into the room, up to the bed, and double back through the same door." She explained. Eric scratched his head. She'd disproved his earlier theory. "So the kidnapper came through the house, not through the window."

TBC...............

2. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Oh, a new fic by the fabulous Geni! Love it so far, Gen, especially how you described Miami. The case is set up well, and I can't wait for more!

3. HellsBells

HellsBells Tormenting Camp Counselors

I am liking what I see thus far, miss Geni. Beautiful descriptions of the city, and of the Crime scene.

4. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

nice so far...question, will there be ships?

5. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

Fantastic Geni! This is a nice fresh break from RT! It's like an episode, really. horatio's saying what he would always saying, same goes for the others! Awesome, i can't wait to see more of it!

When you say they're going to investigate mysterious child disappearances, and a former foe involved, please don't tell me it's Stewart Otis.... *flexes fingers*

6. Finch

Thanks for the responses everyone! :D MacsGirlMel, for now I'm not sure if I'll implement any 'ships, but there's definitely room for it. :)

Chapter two

Tim Speedle arrived in the layout room with two white boxes covered in red tape and set them down on the vibrantly lit table. He was stuck on victimology, something he didn't feel was 100% his skill nor was it something he was particularily interested in. Trace evidence was his forte so he hoped he'd find something to run instead of doing menial jobs such as searching through the victim's things--at least he thought it was menial.

A small pair of shorts and t-shirt gathered together on a hangar caught his eye. Speed pulled them out just when Eric walked in.

With a small smirk, he stated, "They've got you working victimology?" Speed furrowed his brow and didn't answer. However he lifted the outfit found within the stack of evidence from the little girl's room. "You have three sisters, right?" He asked. Eric nodded and walked further into the room, his view turning to what Speedle had in his hands.

"Yeah, so what?" He asked. Tim regarded the clothing carefully and picked up a magnifying glass from the table. "Any of them ever have boys clothes in their rooms?"

Eric shook his head. "No but we might have another problem." The younger CSI handed Speed a folder which contained the pictures of three little girls. "Just recieved the report. All three of these girls are missing from their elementary school."

Riverside Elementary school, located in South West Miami soon became the focus of the investigation. Palm trees bordered the school with the outter building painted light salmon and a dark brick scheme to match. Horatio Caine walked up the steps into the foyer, his shades remaining on his face due to the sunlight dropping through the open ceiling. A tall dark man seemed to skip as he met Horatio.

"I'm Evan Hernandez, I'm the principal. It's about time you guys got here." He exclaimed quickly, apparent worry in his voice. Horatio merely shifted positions and kept his regard not on the principal but on the walls of the school. Various paintings and paper cut-outs were the only decoration. "Mister Hernandez, do you know where the children were last seen?" He asked. Patrol cars began to pull up to the school and yellow tape was soon to follow. The principal looked even more anxious.

"Look I've got to inform these kids' families-

"I understand that Mister Hernandez," Horatio interrupted, "but any details you can give me right now will help me find them. Anything at all. Can you do that sir?" This seemed to calm the sweating man and he rubbed at his eyes, trying to muster as much out of his brain as he could.

"Uh...Th-there was a field trip this morning. The kids from Mrs. Swanson's class were getting ready to go to the county zoo. You know, learn about the animals and the environment." He managed to explain. Horatio's only answer was a nod, encouraging the principal to continue. "All three girls were in Mrs. Swanson's class. But they hadn't even left yet! There's no where those girls could have gone!" He sighed violently loosened his tie. "You have to find them Lieutenant."

Horatio turned his head to Hernandez. "I'll find them. But first I need a list of the itinerary for this morning and all of the names of your staff."

Hernandez nodded quickly and ran in the other direction. As Horatio turned back around, Calleigh quickly jogged up the steps and handed the Lieutenant a folder. "Yes ma'am." He greeted. Calleigh pointed toward the pages. "Eric matched the partials underneath the window. We're definitely going to be pullin' overtime." She stated. Horatio took the folder into his hands and a sinking feeling overtook him.

Stuart Otis.

7. MacsGirlMel

oh ok. Argh someone called it right. I hope they get him.

8. CSI_Trainee

CSI_Trainee CSI Level One

Very nice Geni, Its a really neat thing to see you branch out from the RT and I like the story thus far. Can't wait to read more, its very gripping already! Love the new fic Geni!

9. Finch

Holy! Why have I not updated this. :lol: *shakes fist at the RT for taking up all of my time*

Thanks so much for the reviews!

Chapter three

Eric Delko walked up to the children's area of the Miami Metro Zoo, kit in hand. Speedle followed, his attention redirected at a colorful sign near the entrance that displayed some kind of cold drink and read Shake it Up. It was too damn hot in Miami to think about anything else.

As both CSIs stood before a large lime green building with thick blue outer-trimmed windows, a large lady wearing pop bottle glasses scurried over. She had a clipboard in her hand and a whistle around her neck. Obviously, not zoo staff.

"I'm Mrs. Swanson!" She greeted quickly. She regarded Speed for a moment and then placed her attention back to Eric, uninterested in his dishevled counterpart. "You're the police?" She asked, now almost exasperated. It was apparent the children had just arrived at the zoo when Horatio spoke with the principal, who was sure they hadn't even left yet. This was why Eric never liked using witness statements as evidence.

Delko nodded firmly and led her to the green outdoor cafeteria benches. The woman didn't look like she normally stood for very long; She probably spent most of her teaching days behind a desk giving the 'evil' eye--at least that's how Eric remembered most of his old-school teachers.

"You were the supervisor on this field trip?" He asked. The clipboard was suddenly handed to him and the old lady adjusted her spectacles.

"I'm the senior administration member. I told them a field trip in Miami was a bad idea. Guns! Knives! Rapists! This city isn't a safe place for children." She explainined. Speed rolled his eyes and ignored her statement. She continued by offering the missing children's names: Alice Parker, Kristy Hayworth and Samantha DeHavilland.

Eric was in the process of writing everything down when Speed's attention again focused on something seemingly other than the case at hand. Delko made a note to himself to invite Calleigh instead next time. The next thing he knew, Tim stood and left them sitting there. Mrs. Swanson didn't seem impressed.

"Is this his first day?" She asked. Eric shook his head and stood. "I'm sorry ma'am, I'll be right back." Mrs. Swanson shrugged and adjusted her glasses once more.

The younger CSI managed to catch up to Speed, who was standing inside the boy's bathroom. Eric gave him a 'what the hell' look. It was worse than working with Horatio sometimes, he thought to himself.

Speed began to open the bright blue stall doors. A couple of them had out of order painted in red on them, so Eric started with those. The last door swung open and hit the adjacent wall, revealing a small child draped over the toilet seat. A little girl. Eric turned his head toward Speed who was already reaching for his cellphone.

"Cut hair, boys clothes." Megan Donner stated as she peered down at a little girl, lying alone in the middle of an empty bathroom.

"It's like he was disguising her, maybe to smuggle her out." Horatio offered as Megan began to snap pictures. "It means he didn't plan to kill her here, doesn't it?" He continued.

Megan kneeled next to the body and observed the almost doll-like face of the small girl. "He was going to take her with him."

Horatio suddenly blinked back to present as Yelina handed him Mrs. Swanson's attendance list. The lieutenant was visibly troubled and Yelina knew that look all too well. It had been almost a year since Stuart Otis was placed back behind bars which she thought, was for good. Horatio was not as much troubled by the sight of another dead child, but the last words Stuart uttered to him before he was placed back into custody.

"No. I will get out. It's my nature."

10. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Me like a lot my love. Very nice. Update quickeroony. ;)

11. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

Nice job! Keep updating, it's really good!

12. HellsBells

HellsBells Tormenting Camp Counselors

Geni!

Don't leave us hanging for an update. :p This is getting really good. Can't wait to read more.

13. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

My favorite Miami evil-doer! He's back and in action!

This is SO funny, Gen, because one of my local elem. schools is called Riverside Elementary school, lol. Good name choice for your school! Have you been around La lately...? :D

This is getting really great, Gen. Can't wait for an update!

14. MacsGirlMel

ooh more soon! They better catch him.

15. Finch

Thanks so much for the reviews everyone. :D

Heh, Lilly I haven't been around LA lately (bummer too :p) but there happens to be a Riverside Elementary school in Miami too!

Chapter four

The chill of death swept over the lonely bathroom stall where Eric and Speed had found the little girl. The bright blue tiles that surrounded the small cubby hole painted a contrasting backdrop against the centrepiece to the scene-- A small, lifeless child. Alexx, the dayshift Medical Examiner knelt and began her premininal examination.

"Bruises to the neck and arms," She began. "and it looks like we've got some blunt force trauma to the head as well." The M.E. turned the body over and observed a small cut across the child's forehead.

"Any signs of sexual assault?" Horatio offered as he stepped closer to Alexx, shielding the sight away from curious and prying eyes, mostly the fresh meat from Patrol.

"Not that I can see but I'll know more when I get her to Post. If we're dealing with the same man, it's no stretch to say there'll be evidence of a sexual assault." She explained, running her hands methodically across the clothes and pants of the child.

Horatio observed his surroundings little by little, taking in everything he could. He doubted this would be the only victim of the morning and he knew his task would be sufficiently more difficult, now that Stuart was likely expecting Caine's efforts.

He suddenly heard the light footsteps of Calleigh behind him and turned his head to greet her. "Ma'am."

Calleigh's lips twitched upward slightly as she handed him a plastic evidence bag. "Found hair in the middle of the bathroom, most likely the child's. He was going to sneak her out just like the other times. I have to tell you though, somethin' feels different about this."

Horatio scoffed and placed on his shades. "I will agree with you there." He then left the room.

Two hours had passed and Eric found himself leaning over the computer screen ready to bust it open. It wouldn't get him the results he wanted, but sometimes he felt technology made things slower and he wanted answers now. His thoughts were interrupted as Speed appeared in the doorway.

"Having fun?" He asked, obviously noticing his friend's tense demeanor. Eric stood straight and crossed his arms. "I printed every inch of that bathroom. I've still got nothing." He answered. Speed tilted his head and walked further into the room. "Well I think the percentage of children in AFIS is pretty low anyway."

Eric shook his head at the remark and pointed to the paper Speed had in his hand. "What's that?" He asked. The older CSI handed it to him and made no attempt to explain it. Delko's brows furrowed as he read it. "Traces of spermicide on the body. So our guy used a condom, or at least attempted to."

"Yeah which means DNA's out." Speedle answered. "The thing is, it's not his M.O."

Eric nodded in agreement and placed the paper on the table. "Well Horatio's at the prison right now trying to figure out how he even got out so untill then,-

"Back to work." Speed finished.