It’s More Than Just The Overcoats

CSI Files

Captain
CSI:NY stars <font color=yellow>Gary Sinise</font>, <font color=yellow>Melina Kanakaredes</font>, <font color=yellow>Carmine Giovinazzo</font> and <font color=yellow>Hill Harper</font> shared interesting tidbits about the show -- what makes it different than the other CSI shows, what kind of things do they see on the set, why people watch and the smell of a dead body.

Skylines aren’t the only difference between the three installments of the CSI franchise -- there’s also the overcoats. That’s one piece of wardrobe not seen in the warmer climates of Las Vegas and Miami. “Obviously, we have a change of seasons, so the look of our show changes from season to season,” says Sinise. “All the shows function off the same premise, but each show has its own individual set of writers and producers and cast, so that makes us unique in itself, and then New York is a unique city, a melting pot,” according to Sinise.

Kanakaredes often brings her two young daughters to work with her, but makes sure they don’t witness any of the gore. “There will be this man with half of his face blown off, talking on a cell phone and smoking a cigarette in the studio parking lot, and like ‘ixnay’ on coming this way,” the actress says. “It’s not Halloween and I don’t want my children to see you.”

Giovinazzo speculates about why people watch the show. “People like to watch people in uncomfortable positions, I guess. … But it’s also watching people solving a mystery and that’s something people are always interested in.”

Harper is a big fan of research. He sat in on an autopsy once and described the smell as “the most intense” he’d ever experienced. Then he visited the Body Farm at the University of Tennessee, where corpses are studied in various stages of decomposition. “That made my autopsy experience seem like nothing,” he said.

To read the full story, visit <A class="link" HREF=http://www.northjersey.com/print.php?qstr=ZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVIRUV5eTcwNzM3OtkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFIZUVFeXk3>North Jersey.com</a>.<center></center>

Great review, Deb. I am glad that you wrote about it, because my local newspaper picked it up from the AP as well and I forgot to keep it to post later. :eek:

I was a little perplexed though by Carmine's comment on the fact that 'people like to see other people in uncomfortable positions'. I don't like to see other people suffer or put in uncomfortable positions, but what I like about the show is the science behind it and seeing justice for the victims.

Back