Is Super H too Super for words?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by daisymay, Jul 20, 2010.

1. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

When I said I liked a little vulnerability in my heroes, people agreed. Take H (no, don't take him, I want him...) - is there an occasion in any episode in 8 whole seasons, where he's either physically hurt, or unwell? If the answer's no, then it's unrealistic, methinks. Also, I don't know whether others share this, but I like this sort of thing, in fiction anyway. One of the books gives him a rare bashing, but I've never seen it on screen. Wouldn't one of the writers like to indulge a besotted fan?

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Ya know, I used to think Horatio was written a bit too "superish", but the more I see the other characters get:

a. shot in the head, died, lived, then return to work a week later
    b. caught in a fire, can't breathe, basically vegetable dip yet they're fine the next day
    c. escape 4 fires without a single burn (super Ryan?)
    d. same person in 'a' shot again, nearly dead again
    e. same person in 'b' in fire again, this time veggie dip and a ghost

....the more I look at Horatio as being the "normal one" :shifty:

So, yeah, I can't put Horatio alone as being "super H" anymore, because to be quite honest, the blood shed/injuries/hospitalization we've seen the past few years is what *I think* is far more unrealistic than Horatio escaping cuts & bruises. Besides, he's pretty well scarred on the inside....maybe that's enough?

3. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

You could be right... Anyway, I've got a solution for my fixation - I write it instead. I've done some nasty things to our beautiful boy in the last few weeks.

4. Adamsgirl

Adamsgirl Dead on Arrival

I would like him to have at least a little scratch every once in a while. He doesn't seem to have soot on him either, look back to the early seasons (tinder box), he got a little dirty at least. They've all had physical injuries, including Frank. Not all "heroes" are invincible

5. marymagdalen

marymagdalen Lab Technician

Stewart Otis scratched H's hand at the end of season 1 - does that count?!!

Daisy May - I think I'd better head on over to fanfiction.net (assuming that's where you post?) and check out some of your fics; I like to write H as being a bit more vulnerable than we see on TV, and even getting pasted now and then, so it'll be nice to read how someone else does it!

Jude

6. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

I haven't posted fanfic yet - bit new on here. I've been writing for years and years (other genres, often adult stuff) but I had a lapse a few years ago and I'm just starting again. My problem at the moment is, I keep losing the plot (story of my life) - I mean I can't keep a crime plot going, I'm too busy 'being' Alexx or Calleigh or whoever has their arms round him at that particular time! (If you write and you're an H fan, I'm sure you know what I mean.) I could tease you with an opening line, but I probably should wait until I can do private postings.

7. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

He also got bonked on the head by some lady during an evacuation :p

I've been wanting this for awhile, actually. He is my favorite character and all, so this probably sounds awfully sadistic, but I kinda want H to get his *bleep* kicked. I want to see some vulnerability, and maybe even an outpouring of emotion from his friends. I want to see him stuck in the lab from an injury. Vegas and NY have done it before and I enjoyed them thoroughly.

8. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

It's not sadistic, but it is, I believe, quite a common wish amongst devoted fans. I can't stop writing it. It's the desire to comfort, I think.

9. marymagdalen

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but - you should maybe take the plunge and post something, on here, or on ff.net. Took me ages to pluck up the courage, but I've had some great feedback and it's helped me write better and enjoy the writing much more. I don't claim to be the greatest writer in the world, but if you want someone to read your stuff, suggest a few pointers, give you some feedback, I'd be happy to take a look. But I definitely won't be offended if you don't want to! Just PM me or email if you want to discuss.

Ah, that's the joy of fanfiction writing. I've had our beloved H:cool: punched in the mouth, stalked and assaulted, given him broken ribs, a broken collar bone, and a few broken other things, had him tied up, drugged, smoke-damaged, almost talked to death by Yelina's cousin (don't ask!) and, in the fic I'm currently writing, he gets blown up, kidnapped and shot - and that's just in the first couple of chapters!:( You wanted sadistic... :guffaw:

He always comes out shiny-bright and lovely in the end though. :thumbsup:I just can't help it!:lol:

Jude

10. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

I wouldn't mind posting fiction. I 'published' loads back along. But it's been a while and my writing muscles aren't what they used to be. Mostly though, I'm too conscious of not keeping to a reasonable plot (in between the sadism). I know I'm off-topic - please don't grumble at me - I'm too new to have access to PMs.

11. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Specially for marymagdalen and anyone else who wants to see our beloved suffer. I've taken the plunge and posted on ff.net. Title 'Lucky Man'. ;)

12. marymagdalen

Read it, liked it, reviewed it!:thumbsup: I remember reading the book and thinking (and laughing!) "Only Horatio could come out of that lot unscathed!"

Does anyone know - have there been any more Miami books produced recently? It seems ages since the last one was out.

Jude

13. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Don't know which books you've got. I worked on the principle that Amazon would have any that existed and bought accordingly. This is a bit off-topic, but I have noticed that those written by Donn Cortez seem to have H just about right. He goes into thoughts and feelings more too. Like them best, but read them all.

Do you think Donn Cortez is a pseudonym....? DC....? (Kidding - can't imagine our DC having time to write a novel! Anyway, if he did write, he should write an episode.)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  14. marymagdalen

Read them all, liked them all. Not sure which author I like best - although if I remember correctly, Jeff Marriotte is the only one who mentions events from the actual TV series (Marisol, etc).

I think the difference between the books and the TV series is, like you say, that the author can go into the thoughts and feelings of the character implicitly, rather than just dropping hints and leaving the viewer to make the rest up. Maybe that's why Horatio (and the other characters) seem a bit more "real", and maybe a bit more vulnerable, in the books. Maybe not. I dunno!:wtf:

Jude

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010