Interview: Treena Hancock & Melissa R. Byer

CSI Files

Captain
Though only in their second season on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Co-Executive Producers Treena Hancock*and Melissa R Byer*both have a number of years under their belt as fans and devoted watchers of the series. Prior to writing their first episode, “Blood Moon” in Season Eleven, the duo collaborated on hit shows such as Stargate: Atlantis, [...]

More...

Great interview, Shane!

I like these two, and I'm so happy to have them on the show. Their episodes are among my favorites. They remind me a little of Sarah Goldfinger; her episodes were always favorites of mine. Great storytelling, and they're all good at both the light and the dark, dark episodes.

And I absolutely love the fact that they have been fans of the show and have watched all the old episodes. Their writing fits well with CSI and the characters. And, I really,really hope they don't leave.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not sure I want to find out that much about Finn and Russell's history. (Heck, after 12 years, we still don't know much about Sara and Grissom's!) I'm okay with learning about why he fired her, but then I'd like to see it put to rest and move on. I just hope they don't try to do too much with it. I understand the 'work wife' concept, and I can see them confiding in each other on a professional level, but no flirting, please. I think it would be awkward, since the writers have spent the whole season establishing how happily married DB is.
Ok, enough said on that. LOL. We'll see how it plays out.

I am looking forward to this week's episode, as well as the rest of the season. I couldn't say that a year ago.

Thanks, Treena and Melissa! And, thanks, Shane! :)

ETA: If you read this, T&M, will you please slip in a little Sara and Grissom moment in your next episode? It would be very much appreciated. :hugegrin:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing another great interview, Shane! :D It's always cool to find out that the people behind the scenes are fans as well. And I'm really interested in the idea of writing partners. It's just a really interesting thing for me, I don't know why. :lol: It always makes me wonder what the process is like and how one half of the duo's writing would (or wouldn't) work without the other.

I'm curious about this season-ending cliffhanger...

I'm withholding judgment on Finn for now. The first few weeks with a new character are always tricky, especially when they have to get all of that 'you're the most amazingly talented person EVAR' stuff out of the way right off the bat. I like her well enough so far, but hopefully my love will grow as the season continues. ;) I'm curious about her history with DB, although I hope this 'work wife' stuff contains as little ~sexual tension~ as possible. I'm all for strong platonic relationships between men and women, and it's understandable that he needs someone he can talk to about work-related things - I just don't want Finn to end up being basically-a-second-wife-without-the-actual-romance. I mean, that won't make me hate it or anything, I'd just prefer if that wasn't an issue. /tl;dr

Back