Interview: Peter Lenkov

CSI Files

Captain
The CSI: NY executive producer talks about the NY installment of the big CSI crossover and discusses Flack’s downward spiral in the first of CSI Files’ sweeps preview interviews. Some spoilers after the cut!November sweeps is here, and the big news in the CSI franchise is next week’s three show crossover, which brings Ray Langston [...]

More...

Very interesting interview. I'm looking forward to the CSI crossover episodes, especially the NY one. Ray Langston is turning out to be one of my favorite characters on Vegas and I can't wait to see him go from Miami to NY and then back to Vegas.

Sweeps months looks to have some good episodes and I look forward to the return of the compass killer. I think Skeet Ulrich is a great actor and I can't wait to see how this storyline plays out.

It's nice to see that Hawkes has had a lot more screen time this season and has his own storyline coming up. He and Eddie Cahill are wonderful actors and I'm glad to see their talents being showcased more.

Flack's storyline has kept my attention this season. I am glad to finally see the show addressing what happens after huge life changing events and hasn't tried to resolve Flack's grief in just one episode or ignore it altogether. And btw, kudos to the person responsible for giving Flack a break from his suits and the one episode where he took a break from shaving. It was a nice change and portrayed very well how his struggle with Angell's death affects so many aspects of his life.

The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is the speed in which Danny recovers along with the timeline which is very vague and seems to be different for each character. I feel that so far Danny's time spent in a wheelchair has been rushed and not very realistic as to how fast he went from ten percent to now walking. I don't feel the question about his recovery time has been answered. As for the mention of 24, it is a well known fact of the show (and the name) that each episode is one hour of the same day. Danny's recovery doesn't give us a time frame, something the avid viewer would notice as well as like an answer to.

All in all it was a great interview and I would like to thank Peter Lenkov for taking the time to talk to CSI Files. I always enjoy reading his interviews. Thanks so much.

I'm really looking forward to more of Flack's storyline. I agree about him being the most grounded character, and this being the right way to go with him. And I have no doubts that Eddie Cahill can pull it off :)

I'm intrigued to see what story lines Hawkes will have this season, too. The character has such great potential, and Hill Harper is a great actor. I look forward to seeing where they go with him.

Overall, I'd say they've got my attention for the rest of the season. Great interview! Thanks so much!

Great interview. I liked Peter Lenkov's answer about Danny. It clears things up and makes it more understandable that Danny's already walking again. :) It also explains how Lucy is now ten months old. :)

I love that he mentioned that we'd see more of action-Lindsay. I like Lindsay a lot when she's in action-mode.

Skeet Ulrich is an awesome actor and I'm really looking forward to the rest of his character's storyline. I'm intrigued about the woman he was interacting with. Is she really there or a figment of his imagination? Is it his wife or someone else related to him? I think that's going to be an interesting storyline.

I'm also looking forward to the continuation of Flack's depression and how he's coping with Jess' death. Flack is an interesting character and the storyline is intriguing. :)

I'm so glad that Hawkes is getting some personal storylines this season. He's earned it and he too is an interesting character. :)

Sweet, a new interview - Thanks! :D *reads*

Good stuff. I'm looking forward to multiple storylines for Hawkes. Hill Harper is great, so knowing we've got a lot coming up for the good doctor is promising. ;)

Seeing Flack's storyline continue is something I'm looking forward to - everybody loves Flack, so it's nice to see him get some long-term focus and development. :D

CSI Files: Was there ever any talk of killing the character?

Lenkov: Danny? Never.
:lol: I love it.

The three-series crossover is definitely going to be interesting - I'll be interested to see Ray out of his usual setting and also how his presence affects our team. Ray and Mac working together should be fun. :D

CSI Files: Danny went from a wheelchair to walking in four episodes, after being given a ten percent chance of walking again. Why did his recovery take place in such a short amount of time?

Lenkov: Four episodes don’t necessarily translate into four weeks, in the same way four episodes of 24 don’t translate into four weeks, but four hours. I think we did enough research on the injury and recovery to justify our storytelling.
On its own, I definitely get that - I'd still be bummed that the storyline didn't get drawn out (because I'm selfish and want to see more of woobie!Danny :p), but when there are only 24 episodes in a season, things have to move along pretty quickly or else they'll drag - and characters won't get enough development in between. (Plus, of course, Danny isn't the only character around, and he's not the only one getting ongoing development at the moment. ;))

My problem has been, like kinkapoodles said, that the timeline itself has been rather vague. They said early on this season that Lucy was 10 months old, which gives us a sense of time passing since the premiere was a month after the finale - and it fits with the idea of his recovery happening quickly (from our perspective) but realistically. So all of that makes perfect sense to me, and it does justify Danny going from 10% to walking in four episodes. However, didn't another episode* say it had only been a few weeks since we first met Haylen? So yeah, I'm not confused by the timeline's speed (and I get where that's coming from), it's the inconsistency with other storylines that has me a bit confuzzled.

* Or perhaps the same one? I can't remember exactly when it was said, but I want to say there was a similar line about several weeks between Haylen's introduction and her second appearance. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:)

GregNickRyanFan said:

Skeet Ulrich is an awesome actor and I'm really looking forward to the rest of his character's storyline. I'm intrigued about the woman he was interacting with. Is she really there or a figment of his imagination? Is it his wife or someone else related to him? I think that's going to be an interesting storyline.
Yeah, it's always fun when you know whodunit but not why - it's a nice way to switch things up on a procedural, and I've heard nothing but good things about Skeet.

Awesome interview! The rest of the season should be very interesting. :D

Last edited:
More from me later, but I found this really interesting:

CSI Files: Last season ended with a bang, literally, when shots were fired into the bar where the team was toasting Angell’s (Emmanuelle Vaugier) life. When and how was it decided that Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo) would be the one who got shot?

Lenkov: About midway through last season, we discussed the idea of Danny getting shot, and perhaps learning to walk (again) at the same time as his daughter is taking her first steps. It just morphed from there.

So it sounds like when the shootout happened in the bar, it wasn't a question of who was going to be shot--it was always going to be Danny. I think it's cool that the storyline was thought up for Danny and then they managed to turn it into an exciting cliffhanger to keep people guessing over the summer!

Top41 said:

I think it's cool that the storyline was thought up for Danny and then they managed to turn it into an exciting cliffhanger to keep people guessing over the summer!
No, it was evil. :lol: They had us thinking someone would die! I thought I might lose Adam! *cough* Uh, I mean...yeah.

:p

It is interesting to know that the idea to injure Danny came before the decision to write the storyline this way...but I still say it was evil. ;)

It is interesting to know that the idea to injure Danny came before the decision to write the storyline this way...but I still say it was evil. ;)

Agreed! On both counts. Interesting and evil. Imagine the trauma poor Fay went through, thinking she might loose my Adam :p

I agree that what really bugs me about the Danny story line is the time line. Don't tell me it's been months before Danny could walk when it's been a couple of weeks since we met Haylen and Haylen was introduced in the premiere which took place a month after the shooting. It makes no sense.

Ok. So they did research the injury and found out how long it would take to recover from it (although I still think saying he had a 10% chance of ever walking again and then a couple of episodes later having Hawkes tell him he should've been walking "weeks ago" doesn't make any sense either.) but that doesn't help anything when the viewers are confused about the time line.

But at least this interview cleared up what we were supposed to believe about the time line and the story line. Now I can go forward and understand what's going on.

ETA: I'm really looking forward to the continuation of the Flack story line. That has been played very well by both TPTB and Eddie Cahill. And yay! for it being Hawkes' season as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing Hill run with whatever they have in store for Hawkes. I'm even on board with seeing Lindsay out in the field more. Anything that is reminiscent of S2 Lindsay makes her much easier for me to watch.

Last edited:
Interesting interview. :)

I was curious about most of the subject-matter that was brought up (Sarah Carter, Danny's injury, Flack's grieving process etc.) so I'm glad some of my questions were answered.

A high point though -- Hill Harper! I can't wait to see him get some development. I haven't really read any spoilers for this season (I like not knowing what's going to happen on NY) so now I have an even stronger reason to tune in. :p

Regarding the crossover, I'm actually looking forward more to the NY element than the other franchise siblings. It'll be interesting to see the dynamic between Langston and Mac as well as the overall feel of that part of the crossover.

Imagine the trauma poor Fay went through, thinking she might loose my Adam :p
Hey, I caught that! :shifty: I got my eye on you... :p

I have absolutely no idea to what you are referring :shifty:

A high point though -- Hill Harper! I can't wait to see him get some development. I haven't really read any spoilers for this season (I like not knowing what's going to happen on NY) so now I have an even stronger reason to tune in. :p
Ditto. I tend to stay away from spoilers for this show, but knowing there's something in store for Hawks makes me want to tune in :D

Regarding the crossover, I'm actually looking forward more to the NY element than the other franchise siblings. It'll be interesting to see the dynamic between Langston and Mac as well as the overall feel of that part of the crossover.

I agree. I can't say I'm a huge Langston fan at this point, but I'm really curious to see how he'll interact with Mac, and how the NY part will work out.

Great interview! :D I love that this is the 'year of Hill Harper'! Fantastic stuff. Along with the Flack storyline it all sounds very exciting.

Excellent Interview. I'm really excited about the Eddie/Flack stuff.

He's such an incredible actor. It makes it interesting that him, the strongest character is the one that gets to crack up. because when stronger people crack, it's always interesting.

A new interview. Very Cool!!! Thanks to both Kristine and Peter Lenkov for all the scoop.

So it sounds like when the shootout happened in the bar, it wasn't a question of who was going to be shot--it was always going to be Danny. I think it's cool that the storyline was thought up for Danny and then they managed to turn it into an exciting cliffhanger to keep people guessing over the summer!

I always wonder how far ahead of the game they are with planning things like this. I'm really glad they decided not to kill anyone else off. It sure gave us something to talk about here during the dry season, didn't it!

Back