If you have ever moved the problems you had

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Nick3167, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

I am in the process of moving this weekend my friend is letting me use his computer because he is tired of hearing me complain about the process. I f you have ever moved and had a bad experience weather it was from a college dorm (I have done that too) or just from one neighborhood, state etc... please tell me I am not going crazy as to this is a crappy thing to do I had to leave my parents house My mom has Alzheimer's and my dad is starting to get there.

post your best and worst moving stories please I want to know I am not going insane here.

2. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

No two ways about it: Moving *SUCKS*. So if you're feeling down about it, it's normal. I've been slowly moving my stuff to storage as I have to move, too. And I met a lady in the elevator who had this look on her face like she just knew what I was going through. She gave me some tips (the elevator is temperamental) and said she's had to do this lots of times--moving things to a storage facility. What she said made me feel better. But I can't wait till it's over. :lol:

3. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

DO not even tell me I was in a storage facility for a while till my parents built second garage and told me to move my stuff in there I was like WHAT!!!!! I need to rent a U-haul I have so much from my divorce and all My dad's truck ,my SUV, and 3 u-hauls later we moved out of my storage facility,( 4 years ago) this week end we have move 50% of what I own between My suv, his truck, and 2 U-hauls so I guess next weekend I will move the reat

4. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Well now, see; you have more experience with moving than I do! :lol: You'll be fine.

5. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

I don't think so I need a bit of advice I HAVE BEEN packing things I think I should get rid of but am not so sure I need help i nthat department PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

6. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

If you're not sure you want to get rid of them, don't. You can always decide later if you want to get rid of whatever it is. Until then, keep it in a box and stored.

7. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I was moving one time, we were moving into a smaller place, from 1620 sq foot to 720 sq foot, anyway it was summer, it was hot, and it was a long process we had live there over 15 yrs, anyway, we were going slow move a little (which with 3 vehicals meant alot really) we would pack it in (no pun intended) And then go to the new place to unpack, eat, etc.

I was suppost to go back one night leaving the dog (before she passed away) with my father, and stay at the other place, packing somemore and this way I could get a fresh start in the morning. Well I was tired and we figured everything would be fine, we got there the next day to find out someone broke in and stole over $1500.00 in stuff between the time we left the day before and the time we got there (a light had always been on but in different parts of the house and a small tv.

Needless to say the crooks weren't smart they left the tv (small one) but took a scanner (for police calls) and CD's. The cops admit they know who it is, they have been called out for them, but they couldn't catch them red handed. We didn't have insurance on it. Needless to say that after that we moved faster and was completely tired but out of there by that night, so as it wouldn't bring them back. My father and brothers didn't care about the stuff, but rather the fact I was suppost to be there that night without the dog or alot of weapons (ie bat, etc).

The next time we moved to a place that was bigger 980 sq feet (and where were at) it was done all in one day and on a cooler day (as in early March lol) our luck there was no snow a couple years ago on that day.

But we are looking to purchase a home so moving I am a pro now lmao and we get a U-Haul truck and with that and pickups and cars we get it all moved in one day.

So thats my story.

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

they say that moving is one of the most stressful events in life - along with marriage, divorce and death. i would add being born but hey ;)

i moved a couple of years ago and it was incredibly stressful, especially as, like destiny i was downsizing, from 2000sq ft to 900, but oh, so worth it, i love my cottage :)

9. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I haven't really moved much (just to my place at city where I study and believe me, as a woman I have very little of stuff there :p)

But my sis has moved quite a lot in the past few years and I've been there. Her biggest problem is not throwing away the stuff she doesn't need. Seriously, she has magazines and papers and stuff for many boxes and no matter how much I say "throw it all away" but no.

So I am pro-getridofeverythingyoudontneed :p
    Like clothes, you never wear, take them to fleemarket or give to charity. Less stuff to move and at the same time you can get rid of stuff that's been filling your cupboards and closets for some time.

I'll have moving experience in a few years, but it's pretty much movign everone else out of the house :p I get this farm (and house) and my parents are building a new house for their retirement. So I've said to mom to take anything she wants (well, she has bought those) and we'll see then.

I am highly annoyed of my brother who (he's 29 and lived home for few months since unemployed but got tired that he actually had to 'do' something here since this is actice farm) kind of plans that I'll storage rest of my life their hunting stuff and their dogs. Or he is probably thinking he can come here and demand food from my fridge anytime. We just discussed their guns and I sid "I DON*T NEED GUN SAFE" and he just goes "well they don't bother you here at all"
    Yes those do. If I have them, it means they will appear here in the mornings, making a mess and leaving their hunting clothes everywhere withou cleaning (my dad and my bro are incabable of anything that even closey reminds of 'cleaning')

So my bro is moving out atm, he's taking little of stuff at the time and mom is frustrated because she'd like to clean the room where he has been staying and I'll be soon moving my stuff from noth home so they need space.

I hope this problem goes away in next few years (perhaps him getting a job far away :p )

So erm, moving is always stressfull and time-consuming and you just hang in there.

10. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Lets see...

Moving from Albany NY to Ballston Spa NY. Only 4 months old so don't ask me!

Moving from Ballston Spa NY to Marlborough MA. I was only 6 so - :p

Moving from Marlborough MA to Shrewsbury MA. All our furniture was in the basement of the new house, all our electronics (& expensive stuff) was in storage along with all the stuff we were keeping from my grandmother who had died just after we put our house up for sale, The cats were being housed at the vets, and me, my mother, father, & brother were living in a hotel/motel for a month. Our house was new construction and was supposed to be finished by the end of July but it wasn't finished until mid September! (And lets not forget that my mother would drop by on a daily basis to make sure they were actually still working on it and to check on all the furniture because there were no locks on the doors! :scream:)

Moving from Shrewsbury MA to where I am now. It was me and my mom in a hotel for 4 days with 2 cats just before Christmas! The furniture spent the whole 4 days in the back of the moving van (my mom knew the moving company personally from work) and the electronics spent the time in the basement of our next door neighbor in Shrewsbury (who is also our plumber :)). Never move just before Christmas! I was freezing the whole time we were in the hotel room because the windows stunk. And at one point there was a shooting on the 4th floor. luckily we were on the 8th floor because of the cats. :thumbsup: When we finally moved into the house the movers found out there was a leak in the roof of the moving van and they had to take the cushion on the upholstered chair in the living room out to be cleaned because it got the full brunt of the leak.

Moving can be so much fun!!! :guffaw:

Susan