Horatio Heightand Sunglasses question

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Guest, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I love the show but something strikes me as unusual with the
    on-screen treatment that David Caruso gets...
    After watching the show for a while I get the impression that a lot of "lengths" are taken to make David Caruso look taller. He is almost always shot from below, and there are often odd angles when he is shot with other actors...

Also...

What gives with all those sunglasses shots... putting them on, taking them off, posing with them... is hs a CSI or a RAY-BAN model?

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^Too bad the sunnies are not Ray-Bans ;)

*proud owner of Ray-Bans*

3. CSIFrost

CSIFrost Hit and Run

He's probably got issues with his height. From what I hear he can be a bit difficult to work with.

4. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

According to the Internet Movie DataBase, David Caruso is 5' 11½" (1.82 m), Adam Rodriguez is 6' 1" (1.85 m), Jonathan Togo is 5' 11" (1.80 m), Rory Cochrane is 5' 10" (1.78 m), Emily Procter is 5' 3" (1.60 m), Eva LaRue is 5' 7½" (1.71 m), Rex Linn is 6' 4" (1.93 m), and Sofia Milos is 5' 8" (1.73 m). The production team probably wants the star of the show to tower above some of the taller costars.

About the sunglasses, the following was posted by hamstermoon in “The Did You Know Thread”:

Here's something I occasionally come on here and mention ... not done it for some time so I thought I might explain again ...

Mr Caruso has an esotropic hypotropic form of strabismus in his right eye ...

For the uninitiated that means he can't look straight at someone or down at them without his right eye sliding inwards and giving him double vision.

His hyperopia (far-sightedness) doesn't really help (reading glasses do though) and for Horatio to manage (as he doesn't wear them) he either has to tilt his head when looking at someone or get lower than them so he can look up at them. Check out a few publicity shots and you'll see what I mean about the peering upwards.

All of this creates some really interesting body postures as part of the character - including the looking off in the distance when talking to someone (its easier than having to fight to focus and get a headache).

In my little honest opinion that's why he stopped doing close work in the lab several seasons ago. While they (the directors and camera people) are however managing to cover it better and better these days and you don't see it so obviously on screen he's getting older and the far-sight is getting worse making it harder on the poor gent.

What he really needs is prescription varifocal lenses in those famous shades - but then being a sufferer of a version of what he has (I am exotropic hypertropic) he's my hero for getting on in life with the complaint.

5. UnXplainedThing

UnXplainedThing Victim

I don't think it has anything to do with the actor but rather with the character. Horatio is the boss. The low angle shot (from below pointing upwards) is a way to give importance to what's on the screen. It's a well known psychological effect on the viewer and I don't doubt it is used because of that. H looks powerfull and, well, looks like the boss. Bam, image and scenario say the same thing. It's really one of the first trick you learn.

6. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Wow, I'm taller than everyone but Rex Linn, very surprising.

7. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Anyone trying to hang some ornaments and tinsel on you? (Sorry about that. I am 5'8".)

8. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I'm the same height as Jonathan Togo. *faints* :D

9. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

So you've been reading tabloids? Him being difficult work with was with NYPD Blue 12 years ago.

No, he has no problemwith his height. I think he's quite tall.

Besides, CSIM uses lots of strange cameraangles and split-screens.

10. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

^ Agreed, I very much doubt that DC would have height issues with being just under 6ft. ;) Also, TPTB and the Miami cast often mention how great he is to work with. He has mellowed alot since his days on NYPD Blue. :)

11. HoratioCainesGirl

HoratioCainesGirl Police Officer

OMG, I'm taller than Emily Procter.....

Anyone who sincerely believes David Caruso is hard to work with reads too much National Enquirer. Sorry but it's true.

12. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

Tabloids are garbage but that's just my opinion.

Anyway I think DC has come a long way since his days with NYPD Blue. And I watched the 100th episode celebration on youtube (via cbs) and they all seem to mesh very well together.

13. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I'm shorter than everyone LOL...I think if I met any of the guys, I'd barely make it to their chests at 4'11. OK chins maybe. Adam could comfortably pick me up n hold me I think *sigh*

Who's Rex Linn? Frank?

14. CSIFrost

CSIFrost Hit and Run

LOL Rex=Frank

15. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Only time I heard anything negative about DC since the premiere of Miami is back when Kim Delaney left the show and to be honest I don't remember what it was & don't care to know. I've heard nothing but good things about DC since Miami began. He goes in earlier to go over the scripts, see about angle of the cameras, etc. I knew he had issues with his eyes but , never knew it was that bad. Porr man. Now I understand alot more than what I did(him coming out of the lab. I knew he was tall. You could tell it when he was on NYPD. LOL