Hollywood Strike, The Sequel?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by PerfectAnomaly, Jul 9, 2008.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I just read an article on AFTRA ratifying their deal and the possible SAG strike and thought I'd bring it here. If either side takes it as far as a strike, they're nuts, IMO. Another strike would kill network TV. Anywhoo, here's a link to the MSN Movies article "Actors union ratifies deal with Hollywood studios:"

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx/?news=322145&affid=100055

2. Sammy11

Sammy11 Police Officer

Whilst I think everyone should be paid fairly and all that jazz, selfishly hope they don't strike.

Most (if not all) of my favourite programmes suffered from the last one, hastily finished storylines, or dropped plots seemed to be the order of the day.

Although I have to say CSI:NY did get off fairly lightly, I watch Supernatural/House/Heroes too and they had to cut their down by ten episodes, whilst CSI:NY only lost out on two.

Whilst I'm sure the strike affected CSI:NY (rushed episodes for instance) I don't think it suffered as badly as other shows, but I also think that the shows whose season was shortened considerably actually managed to churn out some very decent post strike epidodes. So did CSI:NY just not so consistently.

I hope they can work something out and I hope each side is happy with the agreement.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I kind of doubt there's going to be a strike. There's definitely not the kind of support for a SAG strike that there was for the WGA one...the WGA kind of stole their thunder on that. And talking with people in SAG, no one seems to think they'd even be able to get 75% of the membership to vote for a strike. A lot of SAG members are doing background work or taking on bit roles as they come--they're "working actors," as in, not the Brad Pitts or Gary Sinises of the world.

Everyone saw how devastating the writers strike was. I don't think anyone wants it to happen again.

4. PerfectAnomaly

I realize that both sides say they don't want a repeat of the writers' strike, but as an outsider it seems to me that things are getting more complicated and not heading in a good direction. The latest news from MSN Entertainment: "Hollywood producers say SAG rejects contract offer."

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=322454&affid=100055

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

It's definitely not going in a good direction, but I think SAG is backed into a corner a bit. The chances of them getting a 75% vote for a strike are slim to none.

6. CSIFan119

CSIFan119 Hit and Run

I hope they don't strike I couldn't deal with another strike!!!

7. PerfectAnomaly

I don't think the actors will strike, especially considering the current economic climate, but here's a link to a new article on the possibility from MSNBC:

Actors union moves closer to strike vote
    By RYAN NAKASHIMA of the Associated Press.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23847682/