Helgenberger: Fishburne's 'CSI' Departure Was 'Shocking'

CSI Files

Captain
As CSI Files previously reported, Laurence Fishburne (Dr Ray Langston) is leaving the cast of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. For leading lady Marg Helgenberger (Catherine Willows), the actor’s departure came as a big surprise. “My manager called me late at night,” she told the Examiner. “It was shocking. I tried getting a hold of him. [...]

More...

She probably read the same EW article as I did :lol:

At least it doesn't seem to be affecting her choice to stay around, even if it is on a limited basis, and that's good news.:)

Personally, I think Fishburne decided not to come back because of the fans not liking Ray and Haskell.

I just hope he knows we don't blame him or has anything to with him. Tptb handled it wrong.

Personally, I think Fishburne decided not to come back because of the fans not liking Ray and Haskell.

I just hope he knows we don't blame him or has anything to with him. Tptb handled it wrong.

Nah. I think it was purely financial. CBS recruited him with a lucrative contract, but probably had to tone it down with the move to a less lucrative timeslot. He's too big a star to pay much attention to what is said on fansites. Besides, I'm sure he has a lot of fans that don't come to this board. Personally, I think he made the right move; CSI just wasn't the right place for him.

Last edited:
Thank's Marg, nice comment:bolian: I heard you raving about how great he was on "The View" "a class act and had new profound respect for you after stating that. It was obvious how great you were when seeing you with him in the episodes. I thought you as Cath were a better CSI all the way around, since his entrance on the show. It was one of his best career moves, and he was a "perfect fit" with this show, and to me the best character ever on CSI. This is sad for his many fans:( I hope eventually we find out the "real" reason for his departure:confused:

I hope eventually we find out the "real" reason for his departure:confused:

We probably will never know the real reason though, just like we never got the real story about why Melina left CSI NY.

There are little leaks pertaining to "WHY", a friend of mine in Nevada said, in their local paper it said "he was offered limited" episodes, which he declined. That would also mean less $$$$. I think eventually it will be told. here is a site that kinda of vaguely refers to this. Just put in his name and the article will come up~

http://www.bendbulletin.com

I hope eventually we find out the "real" reason for his departure:confused:

We probably will never know the real reason though, just like we never got the real story about why Melina left CSI NY.

There are little leaks pertaining to "WHY", a friend of mine in Nevada said, in their local paper it said "he was offered limited" episodes, which he declined. That would also mean less $$$$. I think eventually it will be told. here is a site that kinda of vaguely refers to this. Just put in his name and the article will come up~

http://www.bendbulletin.com
Fishburne doesn't strike me as the type of person who's in it for the money but someone who genuinely loved being part of the show. I'd say it boiled down to the fact that he felt he was a big fish in a small pond and that TV life didn't suit him. This could be because he couldn't afford to commit to the time, or schedule problems or maybe as Speedystokesgirl said, he wasn't received as well as everyone hoped.

I do agree Crumbs that he doesn't come across as a money gruber. he's already a multi-millionaire, [he lives in a mansion] in L.A., and again wordwide as the creator Antony Zuiker stated over 73.6 million fans watch CSI. He was a "fan favorite". I am on Facebook, and fans are disturbed, shocked and saddened by his departure. All the fans who watch CSI are not on this site. Also his official site fans are miffed off. I just think if he wasn't the "top dog" or the "big fish" on the show and was offered lesser episodes, that would be reason to leave. "He's out of the country":wtf:where the H is he? I had a concept that on the negoitations, that all the cast, with their agents plus the writers, the staff, etc were sitting around a big table with the contracts drawn up, and they go "sign here" But apparently not. It seems he was alone on this contract renewal thing, and the rest weren't even present. Cause' Marg was shocked so she didn't even know till her manager called. He did want to continue, as he said "I'm having a great time, and I love it" so something came down that he wasn't receptive too, I'm sure will eventually find out:confused:

I do agree Crumbs that he doesn't come across as a money gruber. he's already a multi-millionaire, [he lives in a mansion] in L.A., and again wordwide as the creator Antony Zuiker stated over 73.6 million fans watch CSI. He was a "fan favorite". I am on Facebook, and fans are disturbed, shocked and saddened by his departure. All the fans who watch CSI are not on this site. Also his official site fans are miffed off. I just think if he wasn't the "top dog" or the "big fish" on the show and was offered lesser episodes, that would be reason to leave. "He's out of the country":wtf:where the H is he? I had a concept that on the negoitations, that all the cast, with their agents plus the writers, the staff, etc were sitting around a big table with the contracts drawn up, and they go "sign here" But apparently not. It seems he was alone on this contract renewal thing, and the rest weren't even present. Cause' Marg was shocked so she didn't even know till her manager called. He did want to continue, as he said "I'm having a great time, and I love it" so something came down that he wasn't receptive too, I'm sure will eventually find out:confused:

They would never do contract negotiations with all the cast present. The writers would never be involved in it.

Each contract negotiation is done on an individual basis.

He was a "fan favorite".

I've observed a trend online which somehow stipulates that because someone is deemed a "fan favourite", it should mean something to the network, who primarily cares about how much money they can save or make, and their PR. They very rarely (see: Family Guy & Star Trek) listen to fan reaction, so I doubt they ever will in this case, no matter how many people run to the Internet to comment (as I often join in and do anyway. :lol: Makes me feel better somehow). Just my take on character/cast changes as they've unfolded over the years--not trying to be snarky or anything. It's definitely not good news to Langston fans, and I feel their frustration having lost two favourite characters on Miami.

Speedystokesgirl said:
They would never do contract negotiations with all the cast present. The writers would never be involved in it.

Each contract negotiation is done on an individual basis.

Definitely. I would think there's a certain level of confidentiality when negotiating a contract, so I'm not surprised that the rest of the cast weren't aware.

It's great that he seemed to enjoy being on the show and working with the cast, but at the end of the day, it's not just about enjoyment and pursuing one's craft--it's also a business, contracts are part of that business, and sometimes it just doesn't work out. *shrugs*

Back