Harper: I Look Up To Him

CSI Files

Captain
<I>CSI: New York</I>'s <font color=yellow>Hill Harper</font> (Dr Sheldon Hawkes) gets involved.<p>Harper has known presidential hopeful <font color=yellow>Barack Obama</font> since they attended Harvard together 20 years ago. Harper said he has admired Obama since they first met. "He had a sense of gravitas and judgment," Harper explained to <A class="link" HREF="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/">TODAY</a>. "I looked up him then and I look up to him now. He gets it right. He's extremely intelligent, extremely pragmatic. That's the kind of leadership we need now. Everything that was great about him at Harvard Law School is still great about him now. Anyone who meets him understands how wonderful a leader he is."<p>Obama has changed over the years, but Harper said these changes were positive. "He's become more intelligent, more committed to helping people on a larger and larger scale," Harper said. "But he's still the same person. He called me on my birthday right when he was about to speak to 65,000 people, before the Oregon primary. He's a good, genuine person, a good father and husband. What people often don't see is that he has a great sense of humor, a great smile, a great laugh."<p>"It's important for someone like me — who's known Obama for 20 years — to speak the truth," Harper continued. "I know him to be a Christian man. I know him to be one of the greatest patriots. Only in this country could he do what he's doing. What makes this country the greatest county in all the world is that it is a participatory democracy. But voter turnout rates have been low — the participatory democracy only works when people participate."<p>Celebrity endorsements, Harper said, do have an effect on potential voters. "People listen for cues — when they are searching for a decision, they look to people they know," he explained. "Young people can be apathetic in certain ways unless they hear from someone they like and admire about why they should be engaged and involved. If someone you love is doing a rally or concert, you may be engaged to register." Harper added, "But I would like for them to be educated on the policies so they don't look uninformed."<p>Harper's involvement in this campaign is due to a combination of his celebrity status and his personal relationship with Obama. "The celebrity gives me the platform: 15 million people watch <I>CSI</I> every week," he explained. "Once I have the ears, I can talk about this man who I've known for 20 years — that gives me the legitimacy and insight and the ability to speak authentically about how great he will be."<p>When asked what the outcome of this election will be, Harper said honestly, "I have no idea. I just know I have to keep doing the work. The election is not going to be about ads, debates, poll numbers — but convincing people to vote. We need a high voter turnout. This is the most important election of our lifetimes, because our country is truly at a crossroads. We are suffering in many ways, and Washington is part of the cause. We need a change in Washington. Obama/[<font color=yellow>Joe</font>] <font color=yellow>Biden</font> represents that change, and I hope the country recognizes that."<p>The original interview is from <A class="link" HREF="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27341814/">MSNBC</a>. Thanks to <font color=yellow>goddess_loki</font> on LiveJournal for the heads up.<center></center>

I want to know how he can look past Obama's voting against ensuring care for innocent newborn children and then blatanting, continually lying about it. I think anyone who could do that leaves a lot to be desired personally.

I know, I heard about him voting for that and was appalled. I personally don't care for him or McCain. And reading this article I just have to say that Sheldon looks mighty good for someone who graduated from College 20 years ago. I was a mere 2 years old :lol:

Are you talking about the 'born alive' thing? If so, FactCheck has several articles about it.

Illinois law has long stated that if an abortion is performed when the fetus is deemed to be viable, the doctor must ... Use every available means to keep any born-alive child living and healthy. To do otherwise constitutes a Class 3 felony, which carries a sentence of two to five years in prison. That's been the law in Illinois since 1975 ... What Obama voted against was legislation that would have extended the law's protection to any aborted fetus that shows any sign of life, even if doctors are certain that it cannot survive.
And from a different article:

In discussions of abortion rights, definitions are critically important. The main bills under discussion ... are both definition bills. They are not about what can and should be done to babies; they are about how one defines "baby" in the first place.
It's a fine line, and perhaps a slippery slope, and it's definitely hard to understand the details. Maybe it was even a bad decision, one that Obama might regret 5+ years later, but I don't think it's as simple as 'Obama doesn't want hospitals to care for newborns.'

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate about abortion, I just thought I'd present the facts as I now know them to be - it's not an easy, straightforward topic with clear black and white, good and evil definitions. Abortion never is, really.

Last edited:
Harper was actually here in Bloomington yesterday for a rally with some other well known folks. I didn't get to go, but I was hoping there would be something in the paper I could post...a pic maybe...but so far I don't see anything.

Heading off to try to vote early today tho! :)

I've been thinking about doing early voting myself - I just actually need to go out and do it. :lol:

weehee.gif
good for him me too, great taste Harper, I'm campaigning for Obama and is exhilarating and awesome to be with people who are all on the same page. Obama is inspirational , and will make a extrodinary president:thumbsup: just a heads-up on where he stand as of today~

http://news.yahoo.com/election/2008/dashboard

Back