Gun Shot Residue - bad title I know

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by CSIL3Willows, May 17, 2009.

1. CSIL3Willows

CSIL3Willows Prime Suspect

Hey guys. Been thinking for a while about posting my first CSI fanfic on here so would like to get a feel for what people think.

It's a Vegas story, centering around Catherine and Grissom. Also features an appearance by Officer Fromansky... don't want to give away too much. Suffice to say there's some angsty moments, and possibly a happy ending (denpending how I'm feeling when I come to write it lol)

Any one interested in reading it??

CSIL3Willows
    -x-

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I would be interested to read it. :)

3. CSIL3Willows

Cool!! Well, considering I've just finished the essay that's been the bane of my life for the past two weeks, I'll post the first part tonight!

Grave shift supervisor Gil Grissom stared at the computer screen in disbelief. He had been in the process of running prints he had collected at a crime scene involving a 419 off Fremont Street. He’d struck out on the murder weapon; all there had been were smudges, so Grissom had just begun running some of the prints from the rest of the apartment. Of all the partials he’d found he had one hit.

The face of Officer Fromansky glared back like a beacon from the display. Grissom removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. After the disasters that had been his last two encounters with the man, he highly doubted that the third time would be the charm.
    He sighed deeply and rubbed his temples. A voice broke through his reverie.

“Hey bugman, made any progress with the prints from the Bentley case?” Glancing up from the keyboard he met the steady gaze of Catherine Willows. She was leaning against the door jam with her arms crossed over her chest. He gave her a small, wry smile, which earned him a bright grin from his co-worker and friend. She walked toward him and perched on the desk next to his glasses.

“Come on Gil, didn’t your mother ever teach you to share?” she chided, tucking a piece of strawberry blond hair behind her ear.
    “I drew a blank with the prints from the murder weapon; there was nothing workable.” Catherine nodded but stayed silent, allowing him to continue. “But when I ran the prints from the rest of the apartment I got a hit with the print we recovered from the back of the chair.” Her eyebrows rose.

“So we have a suspect in AFIS?” Gil shrugged and reached out, turning the screen away from himself until it was visible to Catherine.
    “Not exactly.”
    Her eyes widened as she regarded the picture. There was a moments pause before she spoke.
    “Have you called Brass?”

“Not exactly,” he repeated, returning the screen to its original position. His remark earned him a highly unimpressed look from Catherine.
    “Gil…” she began, a warning note lacing her voice, but before she could continue Grissom held up his hands to stop her.
    “Cath, I don’t think that’s the best idea. We both know Brass will have to suspend him until we’ve concluded our investigation. He’s hardly going to take that well. For all we know there could be a perfectly plausible explanation for the presence of his prints at the scene.” Her eyebrows rose.

“When did you start giving the guy the benefit of the doubt Gil? You both hate each other!” Grissom shrugged.
    “An attempt at burying the hatchet?”
    She sighed loudly.
    “So, Master, what exactly do you suggest?” He smiled, amused by her ‘master’ remark.
    “Well, I was thinking we have a quiet, informal chat with him, hear his side of things then check out his story *Grasshopper*,” he responded, eliciting a chuckle from Catherine. She looked at him for a moment before rolling her eyes once more and jumping down from the desk, smoothing a wrinkle in her tight black pants as she strode toward the open door.

“I’ll meet you at the Tahoe in five minutes,” she called over her shoulder as she disappeared from view. All Gil could do was smirk as he gathered the printout up, slid it into a folder and stood up from the computer, slipping his glasses back into place on his nose.
    Ok, first part done! Any reviews/comments welcome, and I will try and post more soon

CSIL3Willows
    -x-

4. GregNickRyanFan

Good start. I had to think for a minute on who Formansky was, but I remembered. I love when Grissom calls Cath "Grasshopper". Can't wait to read more. :)

5. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

he was in Paper or Plastic, right?

nice work :)

6. GregNickRyanFan

I'm not sure about that, but he was in the ep where Greg had to go in the gutter and found that cop uniform. Whether or not that was Paper or Plastics, I'm not sure. The only thing I remember for sure about Paper or Plastics is that there was a robbery or something in a grocery store. The only reason I remember that is because TJ Thynes (Hodgins on Bones) and Michael Landes (from Special Unit 2) were in that ep and I remember them being in the store. :lol:

7. CSIL3Willows

Yey people actually want to read it! That makes me happy! Anyway, here's some more.

A half hour later Grissom and Catherine pulled up outside a diner just off Strip. On the drive over Catherine had called dispatch and spoken to an officer who had passed on the location, informing her that Fromansky and his partner had radioed in to say they were going to grab a quick bite to eat while it was relatively quiet.
    As they walked toward the entrance, Catherine stopped suddenly and placed a hand on Grissom’s arm, attracting his attention and ceasing his movement.

“Gil, I think it may be wise if I do the talking when we question Fromansky.” Grissom’s eyebrows rose. “I’m just saying, given your history with the guy isn’t exactly rosy, it might be easier if I’m the one speaking. Your presence alone is going to wind him up.” She tightened her light grip on his arm slightly to emphasise her point. He regarded her for a moment, nodding almost imperceptively before continuing towards the door.
    He held it open, allowing Catherine to pass through first and then stepped inside, letting the door swing closed behind them.

Glancing around the diner it didn’t take Catherine too long to locate the two officers. They were sat in a booth on the left hand side of the room. Fromansky’s back was to the door. She tapped Grissom on the shoulder and gestured. He nodded and handed her the file, letting her walk in front of him until they came to a stop by the side of the table. Fromansky’s partner, Officer Jack Howard had seen them approaching and gave them a quizzical look. Fromansky himself however only looked up once they were at the table. His eyes locked on Catherine - if he saw Grissom, he wasn’t letting on - and she gave him one of her best smiles.

“Officer Fromansky, my name is Catherine Willows, I’m with the crime lab.”
    “I know who you are,” he replied curtly, wiping his mouth with a paper napkin. “You work with Gil Grissom.” He flicked his eyes over to Grissom, setting his jaw in anger. “Speak of the devil.” Sensing that the situation had the potential to get out of hand very quickly, Catherine tried to pull them back on track.
    “We’d like to ask you a few questions.” When he made no move to get up she elaborated, glancing at Officer Howard. “In private.” Fromansky let out an irritated sigh as he balled up the napkin and threw it onto the plate in front of him.

“Anything you want to ask you can do it in front of Jack. Besides I want a witness,” he added, glaring at Grissom. Catherine resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the man’s blatant distrust and animosity towards them.
    “Officer Fromansky, are you familiar with James Bentley?” He paused briefly before replying.
    “The name may ring a bell. I’ve dealt with a lot of people in my time.”
    “Have you ever been to his apartment?” He frowned, then shook his head.
    The strawberry blond bit down a smirk as she opened the file in her hand and removed the AFIS print out, placing it on the table in front of him.
    “Then how do you explain the fact that your prints were found there, with James Bentley’s dead body lying feet away?” He stiffened slightly then jumped to his feet and faced Grissom, eyes blazing.

“Is this is set up? You’ve been out to get me ever since we met!” Officer Howard also stood, moving round the table to stand next to his partner.
    “I’m sure there is a plausible explanation. Did you ever respond to a call at 19th and Western?” At the sound of her voice he returned his attention to Catherine. He pondered the question for a moment before a look of realization dawned upon him.
    “A couple months ago. I responded to a disturbance there. Place was trashed, guy really beat up. There was a chair by the door, it was gonna block the paramedics’ path, so I picked it up and put it by the wall.” Grissom raised his eyebrows. “Look I put it in my report ok. I know how to do my job.”

“We’re not disputing that Officer,” Catherine jumped in before Grissom could open his mouth. “If that’s the case there will be a record of it. It won’t be hard to verify.”
    “What the hell do you mean ‘if’? Are you calling me a liar?”
    “No. We’ll check it out and get back to you.” She lent over and picked up the printout, replacing it inside the folder.
    “I’m sure you are aware that we are obliged to inform Captain Brass about this,” Grissom added after a few moments. Fromansky growled and turned on him, raising his arm. Both Catherine and Officer Howard acted in unison, the latter grabbing his partner’s arm while Catherine jumped between the two men.

“Leave it buddy, it’s not worth it,” Howard spoke, trying his best to calm Fromansky down.
    “Get him the hell away from me!” Fromansky hissed through gritted teeth.
    “I think that’s probably best,” Howard added. Catherine nodded and headed towards the door, pushing Grissom in front of her. The last thing they both heard as the door slowly closed was the sound of Officer Fromansky’s voice following out into the night.
    “If I find out you’re trying to railroad me, Supervisor Grissom, I’ll make sure you pay!”
    Good? Bad? Indifferent? Lol

CSIL3Willows
    -x-

8. GregNickRyanFan

I think you have Officer Formansky downpat. When I read the scene with him, I could actually hear him saying all of that. Good job. :)

9. CSIL3Willows

Yey! Thank you. Whenever I write fanfic, I always try and make sure I get the characters as close as possible. Glad you're enjoying it GregNickRyanFan!

CSIL3Willows
    -x-

10. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

more more!

yeah I had the plot right, no idea about the title though. And yeah I noticed TJ too in that ep.

11. CSIL3Willows

Finally handed in my last two assignments for this year WHOOP! I'm in a really good mood, so here's some more
    As soon as both doors of the Tahoe were shut Catherine exploded.
    “What the hell was that?!” Grissom turned in his seat to face her, and was about to reply, but she cut him off before he could.

“What was the one thing I said before we went in there? ‘Maybe it’s best if I do all the talking’. We were on the home stretch Gil. I’d managed to get him just to ignore your presence and focus on me, but you had to open your mouth. Why did you have to make that comment about telling Brass?” He lightly shrugged his shoulders.
    “We’re required to do it, and he had the right to know.” Fire blazed in Catherine’s blue eyes.

“B.S.! He’s a cop Gil, he knows what we’re required to do. Were you deliberately trying to piss him off?”

Grissom sighed but didn’t reply. Instead he started the car, put it in gear and pulled away from the kerb. As he drove, he could feel the anger and irritation seeping from Catherine in waves. He risked a quick glance at her. She was facing the window, jaw set , cheeks flushed with her arms crossed tightly over her chest. He knew he hasn’t heard the last from her about this, she would probably voice more of her opinion once they’d checked Fromansky’s story, no matter what the outcome was.

He was about to say something, apologise for blindsiding her in the diner and causing a scene, when there was a loud bang and the car jolted. He heard Catherine gasp as he indicated and rolled the car to a stop by the side of the road.

“What was that?”
    “I don’t know.” He slipped his seat belt off and exited the car. By the time she did the same Grissom was crouched down by the left rear wheel.
    “Looks like a piece of glass. It’s completely shredded.” Catherine sighed, moving to the trunk.

“I’ll get the spare.” As she opened the door she glanced around. Of all the places in Vegas to get a flat tyre, this was probably one of the worst. She shivered slightly, then turned as she heard voices in the distance. There were at least four and they didn’t sound pleased. The quicker she got the spare and helped Grissom, the quicker they could get out of there and back to the safety of the lab. However, a search of the trunk revealed that the spare was missing. Catherine closed her eyes, fighting the urge to scream in frustration. Stepping round the side of the SUV, she faced Grissom who eyed her expectantly.

“We have no spare.”
    Enjoy!

CSIL3Willows
    -x-

12. GregNickRyanFan

uh-oh. Stuck in a bad place with no spare. I hope they have their guns.

13. CSIL3Willows

'Fraid you'll have to wait a bit to find out lol. I'm going home for a visit, plus it's my dad's birthday so I won't be able to post today. Maybe tomorrow, depending on how I'm feeling cuz I have to go to a funeral.

Glad you're enjoying the fic though

CSIL3Willows
    -x-

14. GregNickRyanFan

I'm sorry to hear about the funeral.

It's okay about the story though, take all the time you need.

I'm going out of town tomorrow morning (for the whole weekend- no internet access). I'll be back Sunday afternoon.

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Hey this is really good :) I'm enjoying it quite a bit :)

Hope everything goes ok with you and that you feel alright.