Grade 'Smooth Criminal'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Feb 11, 2011.

?

How would you grade Smooth Criminal?

1. A+

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. A

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Hawkes. Love interest. Finally! Give "Smooth Criminal" a watch and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

C-.

Yet another episode that focuses heavily on a club. :rolleyes: Good God, make them go away.

Jo stole Danny's "Boom" line, hee. Thought that was funny. Ne-Yo did some decent acting, but the whole storyline came off as dull, and unfortunately was not as engaging and interesting as one could hope. More convenient evidence. Yawn.

(Oh, and Jo putting on the hat? Hot. :adore:)

(And wow, they sure do film at that warehouse often.)

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The 'people watching' scene at the end was a bit much, but I do love me some Jo. Her scenes with Adam were cute.

Ne-Yo wasn't bad, but the character really wasn't that compelling. I would have been more intrigued by the possibility of a multi-episode arc with him.

Wasn't there a spoiler that Ne-Yo's character might be back? I expected him to get away at the end, but it looks like they've got him good - so I wonder how they'd write him into another episode? I guess we'll see if that comes to pass.

Yay for Hawkes finally getting some, though! ;)

4. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

For me the episode was great! Ne-Yo did good. He was convincing as a suave killer (with a heart?). I didn't suspected the doctor to be all behind this.

There were some fun moments in the episode. Jo's "oh c'mon Mac" made me laugh! :lol: Oh, Mac don't lie to Jo. You did spy on your neighbors, remember? I also found it quite funny when Mac was running to catch the goons and then suddenly stopped with a "uh-oh" face when he saw some big guns. :lol: Good to see Mac and Jo in lab coats.

Good for Hawkes having a love interest. It's really worth the wait because he and Camille have chemistry.

This is definitely one of my favorites. It kept me awake the whole time. This made my TV week after an awful CSI episode last night.

A+

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  5. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Yes, I liked the episode for many of the same things. The club scene did irk me because my immediate reaction was, "Ugh not again!" But I liked that Sheldon had more camera time. I have noticed several people on the forum dislike Hawkes but I like him.

Mac's expression during the gunfight was amusing. I think it went to the super H Miami-esque scene, but Gary looked better in tonight's episode than last week's. I might have to rewatch the early scenes because he sounded liek he had a cold and I like guys with "flu voices."

6. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I didn't mind the club scene since I was already invested in the episode. Plus it wasn't really the focus of the episode so I gave it a pass. But yeah I also had the "not again!" reaction at first. :lol:

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i totally forgot it was on. i think that says a lot about the direction they're going...

i'll watch a bit later if i can be bothered and grade it then. if it's anything like last week i might not bother again.

8. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

A+ because it entertained me all the way through.

Very, very good episode. Although I have been highly disappointed with season six and season seven, I have to say that "Smooth Criminal" is one of the best ones so far. Ne-Yo's guest appearance as the charming hitman was really well done and I think he did a convincing job. I was so charmed by him that I wished he wouldn't have been caught in the end. He gave the whole episode a very special and enjoyable dynamic. Aside from Nelly, Ne-Yo is one of my favorite guest-stars there ever have been on the show.

I also have to compliment the writer(s) for a decent screen play and story line. In my opinion, it was very well thought through and all the evidence/clues were put together in a way that it made sense. They seemed to have paid attention to details this time and made sure that nothing was too predictable. I like to have my brain cells work when I watch something and this episode definitely did it for me.

No matter if Don Flack/Danny Messer alone or together in scenes, they are my favorite actors so every single moment with them are always my personal highlights.

Great interaction between the whole cast and I gotta say they all looked incredibly cute in their NYPD windbreakers. I would love to see them in the field more often. I also liked Hawkes in this episode although he's still one of my least favorite characters/actors. However, I found his moments nice and didn't get bored.

Hopefully there will be more good episodes like that. Nevertheless I want a season eight and would hate it if it was cancelled!

9. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I found the episode to be a bit meh. Mainly I think, because so much of it was focused on the criminal/kidnappee rather than, I don't know, the actual characters that I tune in to see.

Might have been different if I'd actually heard of 'Ne-Yo' before this, but I doubt it.
    Like I said, meh.

10. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I give this one a A. Solid acting by the guest cast and it's nice to see Harper given a chance to shine.

11. *NickStone*

*NickStone* Hit and Run

Gave this one an A. Another really good episode, there was a great ensemble feel to it, everyone in the main cast got some healthy screen-time, even Sheldon had a storyline for the first time in a long time. The supporting cast was really good and the characters were pretty interesting.

There was some really decent use of forensics again this week, it's great when they really rely on the evidence to help them work things out rather than interviews etc. It is after all, a show in a whole franchise about forensic scientists so it's great that they have really been getting back to their premise, there were a few times where they were drifting away from it in recent seasons.

Really loved the action sequences, especially the shoot out in the warehouse, loved the bit where the guy produced the MP-5 and started shooting at Mac good scene there.

Lindsay got some decent screen-time this week, albeit in the lab. She also looked great as always. :drool:

So yeah, a good A grade for this one. :cool:

12. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

I didn't see every bit of the episode, but what I did see, I thought was well done. I thought the guy who played the hitman was excellent. Had no idea it was "Ne-Yo". Have no idea who he is. I don't care who they are, just that whoever it is does a good acting job, and he did.

I like Hawkes. :)

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

My thoughts exactly you said it all. Really good:bolian:

14. LoveSela

LoveSela Dead on Arrival

I really enjoyed it. I'm happy for Sheldon. Loving all the Sela/Jo scenes. <3

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i made notes as i was watching (because i'm sad, ok!?:lol:) - this is them, pretty much unedited (apart from censoring myself where i got a tad over-angry and over-sweary, i've added comments in italics). there is a very heavy reliance on the big bang theory's sarcasm sign throughout...

suffice it to say, it's not pretty.

cheesy conversation to start with. try telling mozart all that crap about structure. also it really bothers me when the music of now is referred to as r&b, i realise it's been that way a while and will never change but to me r&b will always, always be rhythm & blues, carl perkins, chess records etc right thru to the kinks, stones, who etc. as a music geek it kinda bugs me. but hey ho.

why all this insistence on showing girls' bodies? why not men's too? oh yeah, i forgot, we have to titillate the poor ickle menz who think with their ****

credits, real name aka. please!! who does he think he is?! also this ep is clearly just an extended ad for neyo's album? blah. i thought he was actually pretty good but for god's sake, writers, please try to give us something more than a bloody infomercial.

stop with the flashbacks already, we're not too stupid to work out who's who when there's only 2 vics and it only happened 3 minutes ago!

also if you say the oven melted the gun barrel as well as the plastic, we get it, you don't need to demonstrate with more flashbackery. i realise they have to make sure slower viewers are keeping up but really, i mean i can understand if they think we, the audience, don't always get all the scientific experimental stuff, but "gun goes in oven, it was hot enough to melt the barrel as well as the casing" is NOT rocket science. we don't need to be handheld through it!:scream:

hawkes. in the s3 ep murder sings the blues, mac had a huge go at him for not taking himself off the case (or at least telling mac so that he could) when he knew the vic. so now they're searching for a possible vic/accomplice, hawkes tells jo he knows her, and he's still on the case? WTF? i suppose they sort of covered it a bit later when hawkes asked mac if he could come to find the girl too and mac gave him a stern look but really, some consistency would be nice.

dear writers: get some consistency and stop treating viewers like idiots, we clearly remember stuff far better than you do, please recognise this and do your jobs a bit better.

"she was probably selling the drugs on the side" - no, ya think? duh. how f***ing thick do they think we are? i could never have worked that out for myself

"atomic bomb uranium? boom! :)" omg - i wrote something positive!

hawkes pointing out that carers & patients sometimes get on. wow, thanks Sherlock.

oh look, more sexism! (i think i was referring to the podium dancers - admittedly that's more the fault of society than the show but they could focus on it less couldn't they?)

flack calling to hawkes about him being dressed like a bouncer. you're several feet apart in a club & you think hawkes can hear you shout? later on they had radios. inconsistent!! i rewound that and watched it again - i'm pretty sure flack didn't shout into his radio that first time, it was more a random yell. given that in a club you can rarely hear someone yelling even 6 inches away, it seemed a little pointless. the radios later made more sense but once again it's consistency getting thrown out the window

ooh the vics are on fake meds and two had uranium in their blood. there may be a connection. really? *rolls eyes* *gives up*

when Lindsay said that the meds all contained *uranium*, i wanted to quote gary as austin from true west, when austin's brother repeats something he's said already austin gets all exasperated and says "yes, we've established that" - i wish gary as mac had done the same.

omg jo, you knew which kind of hat that was. I'm so impressed! *holds up gigantic sarcasm sign*

so they found out what happened, the doctor was a fraudster, the girl was trying to prove it. hawkes said some of this synopsis to mac, jo said some more, then mac repeated it all slowly just in case the slow ones at the back hadn't caught up yet... ARGH:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

mac looked lovely in that jacket tho ;) omg another positive:eek:

wooden crates vs automatic weapon? really? i dunno about this, i'd have to ask someone who knows weapons but i can't really see wooden crates being much of a defence against a machine gun.

I like jo & mac chats but did she have to go into that much detail about cosmo's top flirting tips? i didn't even mind the sex line, although it was maybe a bit much, but i'm sure at some point most of us have read articles on what signs indicate a girl is flirting, once again we really don't need it spelled out - even the poor ickle menz like mac are probably capable of working it out for themselves...

also, was she dropping hints by having that conversation with mac specifically? it was arguably a girlie chat, i mean that's the kind of chat i might have with a female friend but probably not a male friend unless they were gay. was this more of a precursor to mac & jo? in other words were the writers FINALLY getting some level of nuance and double entendre in by suggesting that there was a meta conversation in which jo was blatantly flirting too? somehow i can't see them grasping that (really not very high) level of subtlety but you never know...

so yeah, overall pretty scathing. i'm giving it an E. not because it was, contrary to what i wrote, all that bad as an ep in itself (and has has been said, the guest cast was very good this week), more because i'm sad to see what was once a really good show go so inconsistent, so patronising, so repetitive and so generally crap. i really really hope it gets cancelled if this is the best they can do.

dear writers (again) and producers - either do your job properly or don't do it at all!!!