Globetrotting without going anywhere..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by althea, Mar 18, 2008.

1. althea

althea Lab Technician

Hey All, I'm in South Africa and one of the things I still need to do is travel abroad but I just never get around to doing it, hopefully that will change soon. But until then I was thinking of doing a little tour without actually going anywhere with your help of course. We are all scattered around the globe so how about sharing what is great about your town or city or country, no matter how tiny there is something special and unique about it so come on share it.:D
    I'm along the coast of South Africa in Cape Town, the weather here is fantastic in summer with temperatures soaring through the 30's. Were well into autumn right now but the temperature is a rocking 30 degrees celcius today. This isn't necessarily something unique but we have lovely beaches to simply tan on especially Camps Bay, its a must experience. The scenery is beautiful and I'm not just talking about the mountain or ocean there are lots and lots of cute surfer boys to ogle at:lol:. And for some reason the model boys like to play touch rugby and hit a tennis ball around *godbless them*:drool:
    I add a pic of Camps Bay

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj273/capestar/contact20self20catering20camps20bay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  2. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Hey, that's an interesting subject. I love to travel too (and one of my dreams is to move to NY - it was my dream before I started watching CSI - or London). I live in Romania, in the Southeastern part of Europe, in the capital city Bucharest. There are so many things that I hate about this place, but there are many more things that I love about it. I love the fact that the people around here are nice and warm, and it always seems that they try their best to make strangers feel welcomed. I love the picturesque views of the Carpathian mountains and I love the Black Sea (especially at night and at dawn).

Here's some pictures:
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/emilia_me2004/ImagineaPanoramicasiUniversitateaBu.jpg
    This is Bucharest

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/emilia_me2004/mamaia_dr.jpg
    The Black Sea and a resort

[​IMG]
    The sunrise at the Black Sea

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/emilia_me2004/peisaje-munte-romania-muntii-carpat.jpg
    View of a Romanian village

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Alrighty, as said in post Welcome to Miscellaneous, do not post wider pics than 450px because wider ones stretch the screen and it's annoying. If you post pics, not as thumbnails, please limit those to 3.

Thank you... I shall introduce the city where I study later on :p

4. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

5. althea

althea Lab Technician

^^ thanks dynamo I will check it out

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  6. althea

althea Lab Technician

^^ thanks dynamo I will check it out

7. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^^ Double posting there cleared ;)

Okay, so the city where I study. Has the most northern university of EU, city is located about 5km below the Arctic Circle. I guess this link brings most of the info for you
    http://www.rovaniemi.fi/?deptid=17958

Like mentioned there, in city info, there is two mighty rivers... and another interesting fact is that it's Europe’s largest town by land area.

City was totally destroyed in Lapland's war in 1944-1945 - it was result of Germany losing the WWII and German's were told to leave Finland (there was lots of them here, in north) so they weren't leaving so willingly and burnt the whole city. Of course ti wasn't just this city, they burnt/destroyed everything that could be burnt/destroyed here in Lapland... cities, houses, bridges...

Ah well... what can be experienced here... Well Santa Claus's Village is here.. you can experience midnight sun in mid-June (sun doesn't set at all). Eurovision winner Lordi is from this city and nowadays has own Rocktaurant in the city ( http://www.rocktaurant.com ). I think the most beutiful thing here is the nature... the bright colours during the autumn, dark winter nights, mighty rivers, reindeers, forests, light summernights and... people are much more open and nice than in southern cities.

Just follow the first link what I gave, there's pics and info ;)

8. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I'm gonna do the same as DaWacko and post where I study as its much more interesting.

I actually live in a small town called Salfords in Surrey which is in the UK... Its in the south east of England and I'm 45min from the coast and about 1hr from Central London.

I study in Brighton which is amazing place full of culture and excitement.
    http://www.brighton.ac.uk/
    Its in the south east of england and is known as the Gay capital.

I suppose its most well know for the Pier where there are games rides it like a huge amusement arcade. There was 2 piers but the west pier was burnt down you can actually still see the remains which is nice to see in a way.

It has the best shopping I know specifically in an area called the Lanes which is tonnes of tiny lanes going off the main highstreet leading to lil boutiques and one off shops its a mish mash of big name shops on the high street to lil one off shops in the lanes.

A photo I took recently when the weather has been good.
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/Dawn_18/DSC00158.jpg

Brighton is best when the weather is good which here in England specifically at the moment isnt great, but when its sunny everyone is out in force and Brighton lives up to its reputation.

2 of the main events in the summer are Brighton Gay Pride and the Brighton Festival which i havent been to but from friends they are a sight to see.

The pier
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/Dawn_18/brighton06.jpg

Brighton Pavillion
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/Dawn_18/brighton-pavilion.jpg
    The pavillion is quite random as its something you don't expect.

Can't think of anything else to say.

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Cool thread althea, I like sharing stuff like this. :cool:

I'm from York, which is in the North of England. It's totally historic and most people seem to like it. Personally, being a native I find that I really don't appreciate it, but I'm told it's really nice and that I should be glad to live here. :lol: It's a walled city, meaning that the centre is surrounded by Roman built walls, much of which still exist in some form (although they have obviously been extensively repaired over the years). And the old gates to the city are known as 'bars'. Here is a picture of Micklegate bar.

You can find York here on the map.

And here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Some links for anyone who's interested:
    York's official site for visitors
    Picture of Clifford's Tower (sometimes called 'York Castle')
    Picture of York skyline (with York Minster in the background)

10. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

This is a good idea :D

Ok well I live near Stoke On Trent in Staffordshire in about the centre of England.

Map

Okay I live in a small village so theres not much interesting where I live just fields really :lol: so I'll post about the things close by ;)

Ok living where I live means that you are 15-20 minutes away from the theme park, ALTON TOWERS

[​IMG]

The city I live near to, Stoke On Trent, is most famous for the pottery that it produced many many years ago and unfortunaly the many Kilns the once covered the skyline when my Grandfather was a boy are some being removed :(

Here are a few links:

Wedgewood Visitor Centre
    Staffordshire County Council
    Stoke City Football (Soccer)

11. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Elsie, York looks beautiful. :eek: That's somewhere I'd really love to visit someday. I'm interested in historic-type places and England sure has a lot of 'em. It would be great to study there. Obviously Canada doesn't have buildings as old as the ones in England, so I really appreciate the architecture and workmanship that went into places that have been around for centuries. I'm definitely going to take a look in the links you provided. :)

nattybatty, it's so sad that the Kilns are being removed. :eek: I always hate it when something that identifies an area or the history no longer stands.

Wow! Dawni, Brighton looks like it came straight out of a movie. :D

See, these are the things we never learn about in school--especially when 'learning' about other countries. Although there was a book I read in french class (the title escapes me) but it was about a young boy from - I think - Lithuania, who was living in Finland when the Germans were told to leave. (I'm guessing this was 'Lapland's war'?) In the book, they pretty much refused to leave and the boy spent the entire book trying to evade them, though a lot of the time the boy could pass as German because he had blonde hair and blue eyes. Some of it was quite amusing. :lol: (the things he did to get away) I think the book was based on a true story.

It's a shame we didn't learn about the event or anything else in social studies. *sigh* I would have liked to learn more about Finland and the surrounding area.

miss_blue, that looks like a lovely area. I've always wanted to go to Europe, and Romania might be one of the places that I'll visit. :D

althea! That picture is beautiful. Maybe I'll go there instead of Miami. :lol:

Alrighty, I live in Alberta, Canada. I know I might be a bit biased but I absolutely love it here. I've been to almost all the provinces across Canada and Alberta is my favourite. (Along with BC) Though the winters here are sometimes brutal (-50C), the summers are simply fresh and full of life. (the 30-40C temps help too :p)

I live in a suburb of Edmonton, but I spend most of my time in Edmonton.

Here's a picture of Downton Edmonton/Rivervalley

And like I said, I live in a suburb called St.Albert. It's a small Catholic-based city. It happens to be the oldest city in Alberta.

But one of the best parts of Alberta, I find is Jasper National Park located in the Rocky Mountains. It's not as well-known as Banff but I find it even better. It's a warm, welcoming town and there is no shortage of things to do.

You can either horseback ride all day through Pyramid Mountain (but watch out for bears :p), go white water rafting through Snaring River, go hiking pretty much anywhere, ski on Whistler Mountain, swim at any of the fresh water lakes throughout the area, take a dip in the Miet Hot Springs, - I didn't take that picture - ( Miet is one of many dormant volcanoes in Jasper--though easily the most famous. It's identifiable by its distinctive square top. This happened millions of years ago during an eruption) go camping or even rent a cabin at one of the many resort-like grounds.

Here's a photo I took while visiting the tram-way. And here's one of the many rivers in the Rocky Mountains. Most of the water higher up is clean enough to drink.

There is a town if you don't fancy doing all the activities in the wilderness. :lol: There are hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, schools, chruches, recreation facilities, etc.

Anyway, yeah. I'm pretty sure some of you have seen my boring Jasper pictures. :lol: So here's one that I didn't take:

JASPER!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  12. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Brighton is amazing when the weather is good... its just got this good time summer feel about it with brighton rock its the most amazing sweet ever.

speed_cochrane Love the pictures its soo picturesque kinda like postcard views. Those kind of views are hard to find round here.

*decided on her wander to the shop tomrow to take a photo of actually where she lives* Slight different in everything.

13. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

What a cool thread :)

Uh, well my towns kinda boring, I live about 30 minutes from London so i go there quite a lot. My town was built in the early 1950's for the people to move into while the houses were being rebuilt in London. It used to be known as 'pram town' in the 50' because of the amount of babies born then, but tnow there's lots of old people because those babies grew up and got old hehe.

Um some bad points are that it has plenty of trouble with teenagers especially around the council estates but then what towns don't really? There's not really all that much to see.

But, we do have an old roman temple and the old part of town that was here before the new town was built has a pub thats been around since 1564.

But I'm off to Keele in September to go to Uni. It's in Staffordshire and though I'll be staying on campus the village is nice, and there's lots of lovely countryside :)

14. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

I live pretty close to Speed_Cochrane, in Calgary (also called cowtown). I love it here. Calgary's full of these little communities, kind of like the boroughs in New York, but not quite as big or well known, each with it's own name, stores, schools and heritage. Downtown is huge, in my opinion at least, with towering buildings, (not as big as New York's) and each building is connected by a walkway at least two stories off the ground so the business people don't have to get their shoes wet in the winter.
    The best time to come through is the begining of July. The temperatures are warm in the day (20-30 Celcius) and cooler at night (10-15 celcius) and that's when Stampede happens. Cowboys and Cowgirls, ranchers, country people and city folk all come together to see the different shows, ride the rides in the amusement park, watch the races and the rodeos and take in the city sites. It's an amazing experiance.
    Other than Stampede, you can take in downtown at any time, and go down to the parks, take in a show (there's almost always a stage show happening in Calgary), go shopping in either the TD building downtown, or at one of the other malls, go to the Calgary Zoo to see the new sting rays, and the other animals, or just hit the bar scene. In Alberta you only have to be 18 to drink. ^-^
    Some pictures.
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/mlhmissy/Calgary-skyline.jpg
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/mlhmissy/calgary-city-alberta_126.jpg
    I snagged them off the internet, because I've personally never taken a picture of the city.

15. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I love traveling. I also like to see the cities and towns of other provinces, states and countries. I live in the community of Unionville which is in the town of Markham, Ontario. Markham is part of the Greater Toronto Area. Markham has a population of over 200,000 and we are still a town :) Unionville is one of the oldest parts of Markham dating back to the early 1800's. Unionville is also a popular place for Hollywood to come and film. I've not seen any big stars.

Unionville Old Church The church is no longer used as a religious building. I believe it houses retail shops
    The Bandstand
    Unionville Planing MillThis houses a restaurant and retail outlets
    Main Street Unionville
    Toogood Pond a source of wild life including Canada Geese.

Like most people that seem to live in a town or city that attracts many people I usually avoid the Main Street section as it is too crowded for my tastes. The first weekend of June Main Street is closed to all vehicle traffic so the annual Unionville Festival can be held.