Glaring, flaring, blurring

goldnhart

Rookie
What is going on with the filming this year? So much glare in the camera, reflections, etc. Sometimes you can hardly see the people or what they're doing.

Yeah, I find that annoying too. Maybe they're trying to make it look more glamorous and comic book-like but it sometimes detracts from the episode. Sadly, it probably isn't ending anytime soon. :/

I liked it better in the earlier seasons (1 & 2) when less was more but...apparently it's more fun to distract the audience. :p Maybe some like it but I don't.

Last edited:
I noticed this too. To me it looks like the annoying way it was filmed in the earlier seasons where it looks like the sun is rising/setting throughout the entire day. Everything is so orange. I like Miami for the fact that it's a lot brighter than the other two, but not this badly. :rolleyes:

I don't know if this is anyway related to the issues you all are seeing, but there was an article here in the CSIFiles headlines about how 'Miami' & 'NY' were switching film to digital. It apparently was more cost-friendly, the sister shows took up on it, but Vegas stuck with the original. There were some complaints/debates on the quality so that might be what you're seeing. I didn't notice any blurs myself, but I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing.

I noticed the blurriness to I didn't let it bug me though I just ignored it most of the time but sometimes it got really annoying though

All I could think was yikes! :eek:

When I was on set they had in the background of each shot a huge light pointed in a straight line and then the camera that was filming was off a little bit on an angle. So what I believe is happening is that light is reflecting naturally with the camera in some of the shots because of the sun's natural rays hitting the light itself. Does that make any sense? I wish I could draw it out and post my drawing..I got alot of bad pictures b/c of where that light was positioned.

^ Yeah it makes sense. The rays of light kept reminding me of the latest 'Star Trek' film which had sooo many (which looked more like editing effects rather than natural light but I'm not a professional so who knows). :lol:

I think a lot of the blurriness is because it looks like they film from behind the glass walls/windows during lab and interrogation room scenes so you see the glass blurring by, covering the actors when they move the camera -- I find that the most irritating. I'd like to see the characters in the interest of clarity. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons they do it that way but sometimes it's overbearing and quite distracting.

I didn't notice anything except in the split screen scenes. :lol: But then again the split screen thing annoys the crap out of me anyway. :lol:

I noticed that a lot last night, too, and it was more obnoxious than usual. I usually really like Miami's visual style, but... c'mon guys, there is a point where it gets to be a bit much. If you're lens flaring across the middle of the screen, it's distracting, not artistic.

There were times I wanted to wince because the light was coming right into my eyes. I thought it was more distracting than ever and yes, I know this is the comic book show, but the tricks and sets shouldn't take away from the story, and now it is. Check your light angles, cinematographers!

Back