Forenics books/shows

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by MacsGirlMel, Sep 17, 2006.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Anyone find any good books on forensics, or TV shows? I should try Forensic Files but I haven't yet...

The library where I work has Forensics for Dummies and there's also a Crime Scene Investigation handbook that I've read and Idiot's Guide To Forensics, which I'm requesting. PS Read the CSI show guide too...darn forgot the title, not the companion, the other one, that's not official and talks about the science.

Anyone else?

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

There were a few books mentioned in the "following the trivia game" thread in this forum. One you did not mention that I saw listed on Amazon.com is:

"Forensic Science of CSI" by Katherine M. Ramsland (Publisher Berkley Trade, September 4, 2001). Description: From DNA typing and ballistics, to bitemark and blood pattern analysis, here are detailed accounts of the actual techniques used in today's crime investigations. Prominent experts in the field offer rare glimpses into cases ranging from missing persons to murder. For fans of the television show, as well as true crime buffs and science readers - this is the real thing.

One TV series that lasted a few episodes was a half-hour show called "Forensics Academy." It followed some students around a real school with a different topic each week, such as ballistics, fingerprints, etc. I think it was on the CourtTV cable channel about two years ago.

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

that was what I was trying to think of, but I'd forgotten the title. Thanks for posting it for me. I read it as well. And she wrote a sequel called CSI Effect but I've no idea if it's out yet.

A good show for the anthropology angle is Skeleton Stories on Discovery Health. Dr.G, Medical Examiner covers the pathology angle.

I also forgot about New Detectives on regular Discovery...not sure if it's still on or not.

4. feenx

feenx Coroner

I just recently read "Forensic Nurse" by Serita Stevens.

5. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

I just recently finished reading "Crime Science:Methods of Forensic Detection" by Joe Nickell and John F. Fischer.

6. WolfeSanders

WolfeSanders CSI Level One

I have so many books about Forensic Science.

The Illustrated Guide to Forensics
    By: Dr. Zakaria Elzihclioglu

Body in Question
    By: Brian Innes

The Forensic Casebook (My personal favorite, by far!)
    By: N. E. Genge

Silent Evidence
    By: Charles Meyers

The Encyclopedia of Forensic Science
    By: Brian Lane

Crime Scene
    By: Larry Ragle

And there is a television program on (at least in the US) that is called "The New Detectives" and I believe it is on the Discovery Channel as well as TLC on occasion. It is all about the different areas of forensic science. It's a great show!

7. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

I just started reading "Essentials of Forensic Anthropology Especially as Developed in the United States" by T.D. Stewart. And yesterday , I received "Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation" by Charles E. O'Hara. And I'll be getting two more that I ordered very soon; one being Saperstein's book, 7th ed.; the other "Techmiques of Criminal of Investigation" by Barry A. J. Fisher. I 'm also searching for "Individualization:principles and Procedures in Criminalistics" by Harold Tuthill.

8. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Dynamo,
    Katherine Ramsland has since written a sequel entitled "The CSI Effect".

9. feenx

feenx Coroner

hey thanks for posting them, i'll problably go see if my local library has them.

10. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Where do you live, feenx?

11. feenx

feenx Coroner

I live in Cali.

12. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

So do I. In Santa Rosa.

13. CSI_Chic

CSI_Chic Police Officer

oh there was a tv show on the other day. I think it was called Crime Scene _________? It was on like Discovery channel or something simular
    On Court Tv (in the us) there is a show called
    Forensic Files
    LA Forensics

14. FlackAttack

FlackAttack Prime Suspect

Although this is more skewed towards forensic pathology, I've enjoyed the books written by Dr. Michael Baden. He was the former NYC ME. His non-fiction books are: "Unnatural Death: Confessions of a Medical Examiner" and "Dead Reckoning: The New Science of Catching Killers". His latest book is a fiction title called "Remains Silent". He was also host of the show "Autopsy" on HBO. Interesting stuff.

15. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

What channel is Court Tv?