For Your Consideration

CSI Files

Captain
Actors and actresses from all three series in the CSI franchise were submitted as potential Emmy nominees.

In the Lead Actor category, the main male characters from the three shows were nominated: <font color=yellow>William Petersen</font> for "Burn Out", <font color=yellow>David Caruso</font> for "Man Down" and <font color=yellow>Gary Sinise</font> for "Consequences". None of the women from CSI: Miami were submitted for Lead Actress. However, <font color=yellow>Marg Helgenberger</font> ("Built to Kill, Part 2") and <font color=yellow>Melina Kanakaredes</font> ("Cold Reveal") were both submitted for consideration.

Two Miami actresses were submitted in the Supporting Actress category: <font color=yellow>Eva LaRue</font> ("Internal Affairs") and <font color=yellow>Emily Procter</font> ("Going Under"). <font color=yellow>Jorja Fox</font> was also submitted for the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episode "Empty Eyes". The Supporting Actor category had a larger number of submissions. For CSI: New York, only <font color=yellow>Carmine Giovinazzo</font> was offered, but the episode was not specified. CSI: Miami submitted <font color=yellow>Rex Linn</font> ("Throwing Heat"), <font color=yellow>Adam Rodriguez</font> ("Broken Home") and <font color=yellow>Jonathan Togo</font> ("Backstabbers"). For CSI, <font color=yellow>Robert David Hall</font> was offered for "Happy Ending" and <font color=yellow>Eric Szmanda</font> for "Fannysmackin'". <font color=yellow>Gary Dourdan</font>, <font color=yellow>George Eads</font> and <font color=yellow>Paul Guilfoyle</font> were also submitted, but the episodes have not yet been specified.

All three shows in the franchise also offered submissions for Guest Actor and Actress. New York submitted <font color=yellow>Marlee Matlin</font> for "Silent Night" and <font color=yellow>DeDee Pfeiffer</font> for "Open and Shut". <font color=yellow>Gonzales Menendez</font> was submitted for the Miami episode "No Man's Land". CSI presented four candidates: <font color=yellow>Method Man</font> for "Big Shots", <font color=yellow>Ned Beatty</font> for "Sweet Jane" and both <font color=yellow>Len Cariou</font> and <font color=yellow>Liev Schreiber</font> for "Law of Gravity".

The full list of possible Emmy candidates can be read at The Envelope forum.<center></center>

Wow! That's some list...

Now, I don't know that much about the whole Emmy nominations thing, or how it really works. But, it seems to me that they pretty much nominate everyone regardless of their actual performance? That's not to say that they don't deserve some recognition for their wonderful work (OK, I'm biased because I love most of what the franchise does) but if you nominate someone but haven't decided what episode you're actually nominating them for? Isn't that just a bit weak?

And as for some of the episodes, it seems that if the character had some sort of vague main storyline it was considered. I can understand William Petersen for Burn Out, and Marg for BTK pt 2, but Melina Kanakaredes for Cold Reveal? Maybe it's just me not being a huge fan of that case, because I think Melina's great, but that wasn't her finest moment...and that episode was less about Stella and much more about Mac.

However, I do think Liev Schreiber did a great job in CSI and that is one really deserved nomination. I can't comment on any of the Miami ones because I haven't seen this season yet. :)

Obviously, these are just my views and I'm sure others will disagree, but I do find the whole thing rather strange? :confused:

eta: I do appreciate that they are only putting them up and potential nominees, and therefore maybe it's just the industry norm to nominate practically your entire cast!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the actors choose which episode gets submitted for their performance, right? If so, then I guess that just means that certain actors haven't picked their episodes yet. ;) The link said that the list was updated on June 15th, so they'll probably update it later when they know the specific episodes for everyone else. :)

Time will tell if any of them are chosen as actual nominees--I hope so, because the actors and actresses work their asses off on the shows. :)

WOW. this is so incredible , and they [CSI] stars so deserve this honor, they're all spectatcular, I'd love to see them all win ;) big
clap.gif

Faylinn said:
I think the actors choose which episode gets submitted for their performance

Ah, OK! I see how that could work. So it's kind of like the network/producer/whoever saying that they've done a great job this season, but the actor gets to decide what they think their best work was... hmm, interesting. Now, they don't have a particularly good history of winning these awards if I remember correctly, so it would be great if some of these actors could finally receive some acknowledgement of their fantastic work. :D

How we vote for them? George Eads deserved to win for his hard working actor for Graves Danger or Gums Drop. Jorja Fox should win for her good work of Happy Ending, she did a good job with the episode. Eric too, for Fannysmackin'. I said all of 'em deserved to win.

I don't trust the Emmy, they fix.

NicknGrissom, first of all, the Emmy nominations are usually voted by people in the same profession: actors for actors, directors for directors, etc.

Second, Grave Danger and Gum drops are from previous seasons so they are not eligible.

Do the actors really get to choose which eps they're submitted for? I would think the network or the producers of the show would choose that.

I do think it's interesting that Anna Belknap wasn't submitted for CSI: NY despite the fact that she had a big storyline this year. The only other actors from the franchise who weren't submitted this year--Eddie Cahill, Hill Harper and Khandi Alexander--didn't have big storylines this season. That makes me think the network is aware that her performance in the show is subpar. And it's not the pregnancy--I believe Mariska Hargitay from SVU was submitted for an Emmy (and was even nominated) the season she was pregnant. ;)

I think the franchise's strongest contender for a nomination this season is Liev Schreiber, who did a great job as Keppler. Most everyone else has been good, but I can't think of any other truly standout performances this season. Maybe Jorja for Empty Eyes. The nature of crime shows is that character often comes second to the solving of the crime, so that when the Emmy nominations are decided upon, shows that focus more on character come out ahead.

Okay, I'm biased. Jorja deserves her Emmy.

And if the actors really pick the episodes themselves, more power to em'

Eh, Jorja did an awesome job in Empty Eyes, and I hope she wins. Or makes it. Whatever.

Oh, and William Petersen, yeah, he definitely deserves an award for Burn Out. I think he did an amazing job!

Top41 said:
I do think it's interesting that Anna Belknap wasn't submitted for CSI: NY despite the fact that she had a big storyline this year.

I'm not sure that TPTB think her performance has been subpar. And yes, bringing out the pregnancy excuse just doesn't cut it, but her big storyline wasn't actually that big, nor did it take up much screentime (and where it did, it distracted from the other storylines). Regardless of her overall performance this season I think that submitting her would have been an error partly because she just wasn't on screen enough. Even with her storyline (which was poor, in my opinion anyway) we didn't see her and when we did, she didn't really register... That said, Gary Dourdan doesn't seem to have been on screen either this season and yet he's submitted. And Hill Harper may not have had a big storyline, but his acting was superb and he wasn't submitted either... *shrugs* The network's decision making processes may simply never make sense. :p

I think the franchise's strongest contender for a nomination this season is Liev Schreiber

Absolutely. I genuinely think he could and should be nominated. :) And he may well be the only one.

Elsie said:
I'm not sure that TPTB think her performance has been subpar. And yes, bringing out the pregnancy excuse just doesn't cut it, but her big storyline wasn't actually that big, nor did it take up much screentime (and where it did, it distracted from the other storylines). Regardless of her overall performance this season I think that submitting her would have been an error partly because she just wasn't on screen enough. Even with her storyline (which was poor, in my opinion anyway) we didn't see her and when we did, she didn't really register... That said, Gary Dourdan doesn't seem to have been on screen either this season and yet he's submitted. And Hill Harper may not have had a big storyline, but his acting was superb and he wasn't submitted either... *shrugs* The network's decision making processes may simply never make sense. :p

It was as big though as Eva LaRue's (Natalia had the thing with her sister and her ex-husband to contend with), and Eva was submitted. I just find it very interesting, and telling, that Anna wasn't.

Hill's acting was superb, and I wish they'd given him more to do this season, because they started something really interesting with Hawkes in "Mrs. Azrael." Hill's performance in that episode was excellent, and I think if the writers had given him a little more this season, he would have certainly been a contender.

I love Eva LaRue, she's awesome, and a great actress, but she's still kinda of new on MIAMI , she'll have her turn, but have to disagree with the Keppler character, I thought those were the 4 worse eps. of the whole S/7 he was beyond boring robotic like, and talked like he had a mouth full of oatmeal, and he had the team confused baffled and caused friction amonst them, I couldn't stand him :eek: and was sooo glad they killed him off! I, and a few others were surprised at the WP's choice of "BURN OUT" over "LIVING DOLL' he was extrodinary, and went from calm, in the last scene, to fill of rage and anger, he's such a outstanding actor :cool: to me that was his best performance of S/7!

I think the problem is that WP has always been so consistent in his acting that you don't feel like he goes, "And now it's sweeps time, everyone!"

He just... keeps on keeping on. I think that his real power is in his quieter scenes, like with Burn Out. You see him battling with, and fighting down, stronger emotions, and it was just a really, really great interplay between the two. Alan should've gotten a nod, but oh well.

What I mean is that people love nominating actors when they cry, scream, or die. WP doesn't have to do that to bring in a good performance, but for some reason, it's what gets you the awards. Personally, I think giving a multi-layered performance is a lot more impressive than sobbing on cue, but... *shrug*

I agree that Liev should see some gold come his way, but I'd like to see Jorja, George, Eric or Billy get it as well. Having said that, Liev really did blow it out of the water, and this would be his only shot for CSI...

In any event, I grudgingly admit that the chances for nomination in the Seventh Season, with no clear end season in site, is distant... but they really did deserve it this year.

Back