Filming schedule?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by daisymay, Jul 20, 2010.

1. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

First, I'm sorry if this has been covered before - being a bit new has that disadvantage.
    I'm just curious if anyone knows how long the CSIs take to film. I mean, there are around 24 episodes in a series; do they take 2 weeks per episode, or is it not that straightforward? Do they finish one before they start on another? I realise there are generally more than one unit filming at a time. I guess it's obvious that an episode is not filmed in sequence - too wasteful of sets and actors' time. Sometimes the leads have relatively little screen time in an episode, so I would expect their stuff to be done in one or two blocks.
    But what do I know? (Nothing!)
    Really idle curiosity, but is anyone close enough to the business to explain?

2. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

well actually i was wondering about same thing some time.

i was guessing that could be about some month to almost a year. at least that's how long it usually takes to film tv shows in my country. so i suppose it's about same time for csi's

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

This is just a guess. I think it takes about a week to ten days for filming on sets. While they film the next episode, the previous one takes several days to add special effects (visual and sound) and music. Sometimes actors have to go to into a studio to do looping (recording dialog over on-set dialog because of off-screen sounds or bad microphones). Then the editors have to splice the film or tape into the order of the script.

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

If I remember correctly, Eva La Rue stated in an interview last season that they typically spend 9 days shooting an episode of CSI:Miami.