Favorite Season of CSI:NY?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by cSiNyFrEaK30, Dec 5, 2008.

?

What is your favorite season of CSI:NY?

1. Season 1

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. Season 2

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Season 3

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Season 4

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Season 5

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

So I was feeling nostalgic and decided to pop in some season 1 dvds to show a friend of mine CSI:NY (she's a long time fan of CSI Vegas), and it made me realize how much I loved the first season, and how I've felt no other season has even come close to the excellent writing, character development, etc. So I was wondering, what do you all think?

For me, the first season is the best. The writing was very well done-there was an excellent job done with showing rather than telling us the characters motivations and actions. There were brilliant storylines-Danny's dilemma in On the Job and Tanglewood, Flack's run in with his mentor in The Fall, Mac getting past his wife's death, etc. Each and every character worked well together and bounced off each other beautifully. There was a wide range of characters and situations as well--the killers weren't just white rich males, or wives out killing their cheating husbands for revenge. The city itself also played a part in the flavor of the show-there was a crime at the Yankees stadium, another in a beat up pizza place, one in Central Park. The diversity that so many of the other seasons seem to be lacking was very prevalent as well--people with disabilities (Dr. Giles) as well as people of color in prominent roles in the episode (Michael Clarke Duncan's Quinn Sullivan in The Closer), and the places and people weren't just upper class people from Manhattan. To me, its the only season that has effectively felt like New York, and I really miss that from other seasons.

But that's just me :) What do you all think?

2. andunesilme

andunesilme Lost in the parking lot

So far I think that every completed season has been good, and I hope that after the final ep of this season I'm still thinking the same :D But I think season 1 is the best of all. Though I realized few months ago that I hadn't seen all of s1's eps :D

Season 1 mostly because I liked the idea that we were having a new kind CSI show, that wasn't too bright or too .. hmm .. how would I describe LV .. I don't know, it was somehow dark (the scenes were always almost black, and the office too :D ). NY was grey ^^ That made me addicted to CSI NY :D But now when I have seen all the eps, I must say I think that the interaction between characters was better in s1. There was good cases of course, but we saw a lot of interaction. Aiden-Flack, Danny-Mac, Mac-Stella, Stella-Flack etc, it was somehow personal. And in seasons 2-4 writers somehow forgot the personal life and interaction, and concentrated to the cases only, that made 2-4 seasons' eps detached from one another. Okay, I must admit that I lost my interest in the last 1/4 of s1 (maybe I had something else to watch, can't remember..), but when I returned back watching NY in s2, and now finally watched all the eps I hadn't seen from s1, I think that s1 was the best.

Hopefully someone catched what I was trying to say, now I'm lost of words, 'cause I have so much to say, but I don't know how :guffaw:

3. privatename

privatename Rookie

I agree with everything you said here. I think Season 1 was the best. When I look back at the series, the episodes that stand out the most for me were all from Season 1 -- well, the episode where Aiden died is also one that easily comes to mind and that is Season 2. Many of the other season's episodes sort of blend together and I think that is a reflection of some of the things mentioned by csinyfreak30 (sorry, I know some of those are caps, but I couldn't remember which :).) The first series had vibe to it that I really enjoyed and find is missing from later seasons. Season 1 is the only one I bothered to buy on DVD.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Over all I'd definitely say S1. They had compelling cases but still managed to have humor and the team was a completely cohesive unit despite any problems they *coughcough*Danny*coughcough* may have had. I also liked Mac's trying to come to terms with Claire's death. As much as I like Hawkes out of the morgue we ironically got to see more of him when he was there. IMO the only bad things about S1 is that there was no Sid or Adam and Flack looked more like a used car salesman than a dectective. Other seasons have had amazing episodes but as an overall season the first one hit the mark more than it missed and that's not something I can really say about the other seasons.

5. cSiNyFrEaK30

The lack of Sid and Adam is definitely felt in season one (now that I know they exist when I'm re-watching it), and I definitely don't miss Flack's hair :lol: Even aside from all that though, I have a feeling that Adam might have ended up on the show as a tech eventually since Chad disappears after s1, and if Hawkes was still planning on moving to the field then they would have been in need for a coroner ;)

There have been many good episodes and characters in seasons after season 1, but I think season one was the last season for me that flowed well with everything.

6. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

My love and vote went to Season 1 as well. As it was mentioned before by Andy, there was a real personal connection between characters. I adored all those episodes because Mac and Stella were the main stars, and it was obvious but still there was space to show interesting connections between other characters: Stella-Aiden, Mac-Aiden , Don-Aiden-Danny, Stella-Sheldon or Stella-Don-Danny and the most interesting and important to me: STELLA-MAC. They were together in every single episode without any need of working together because they asked about their cases.
    Also i miss the blue filter which made this show unique despite of Anthony Zuiker considers it as a mistake:rolleyes:(Actually some of the best episodes of the whole show are the first three to me:bolian:
    Maybe i didn't enjoy some cases (certainly i have S4 as my second option because of this) but in general the richness of this show was based on the personal connection

Personally i would love to have S1 back, at least as a remake regarding their relationships because i didn't like at all what they have done in S2-S3 and definitely the most OOC Season: S5:scream:

I have hopes on S6 tough :D

Debbie :D

7. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

this is a tough poll. IMO the show changes a lot from season to season with the crimes and the stories of the characters. but i chose season 3. i like almost every epiosde, there's maybe like one or two that i could care less about but other than those the stories were fantastic and i liked the writting. i can remember being so excited for the season to come out on dvd and i hadn't been like that for a dvd release in a really long time. i had to put out the new releases the monday night before NY S3 came out and when i found S3 in a box i freaked out!! haha. my coworkers just gave me weird look as i walked around with the dvd in my hand all night haha.

season one will always be great, it's what got me hooked. i've been a fan of NY since "Blink". when i watch season 1 eps i can't believe how far the characters and the show have come it was so different, i kinda liked how it was darker and how the lab looked like it was in a basement.

i get a pang in my side when i watch season one and Aiden is in a scene.... how i miss her!!! i can only imagine what she would have been like had she stayed. i nearly bawled my eyes out when TPTB killed her in "Heroes"

8. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I just gotta chime in on this topic. I voted season 2. Why??? Because it had the best and most memorable episodes. If season 5 doesn't get its act together soon, it and season 1 will switch places come summer re-runs. Anyway, here's how I rank the 5 seasons so far.
    #1...Season 2
    #2...Season 4
    #3...Season 3
    #4...Season 5
    #5...Season 1
    Feel free to disagree but that's how I feel about the 5 seasons, :shifty:so far.:shifty:
    Like I said earlier in this post "If season 5 doesn't get its act together soon, it and season 1 will switch places come summer re-runs."

9. cSiNyFrEaK30

Just curious, Carolyn3843...but why did you rank season 1 as your least favorite? What was it about it that you didn't like?

10. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Oh gee. You really wanna know??? You sure??? OK...here goes.
    1...That blueish black and white look the first half of season one.
    2...Forgettable stories. The only 2 (and a third unofficial episode) season one episodes I can remember anything about are "Till Death Do We Part" that episode where that morti mortish-I can't spell the word-that funeral home director was taking clothes off dead bodies and selling the clothes to resale shops. The other episode is "What You See Is What You See" the season finale for season one. There is one other episode included in the season one DVDs but it's NOT actually an episode of CSI: NY...It's the CSI: Miami season 2 episode "MIA/NYC Non-Stop" or as I call it 'The CSI: NY pilot episode'.
    3...Main reason: I just don't like season one. Here are some other favorite shows of mine I didn't like season one of: MacGyver, The Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPs, Stargate SG-1, Original Star Trek, I'm not too crazy about season one of CSI: Miami--my other favorite CSI show. In fact, the only season one episode of CSI: Miami I like is the pilot episode which is actually the Vegas CSI season 2 episode "Cross-Jurisdictions". As far as the shows go, it's nothing personal, I still like all these shows, including CSI: NY. It's just some shows's first seasons suck.
    Now, Star Trek: Deep Space 9, Mutant X and The Monkees had great first seasons. Their season ones rocked.
    So, you see, some of my favorite shows I just don't like season one of.
    It's a little quirk of mine.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  11. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

MTC-->
    I agree with you with all my heart. She was important for every single character in the show. Her relationship with Mac was unique, her bond to Don and Danny was more than interesting (they would have been a great triangle :D) and when Aiden and Stella were working together...it was just like two of a kind.... Stella is too alone now without a female friend around.When they were oncreen together it was as interesting as when we have Don and Mac together. They acted as sisters :D

love the dakness of the old lab as well
    I think Season 4 it's my second option. Most stories were quite interesting and the "family" feeling was recevered. Pity it was lost again in S5 (at least regarding Mac and Stella :(

Debbie :D

12. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Season 1 for me beyond any doubt. That was New York. All kinds of weird, and not only cases that wrap around the rich and famous and oh so beautoful of the Manhattan. The blueish color of the season, the atmosphere, the fact that the writers managed to put the character's personalities into the cases and make it interesting to watch.

13. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I voted for season 4. The reason for this is that I thought that there were better storylines and more character development.

The only thing that I was disappointed with was the season finale, I believe it could have been better, season 3 had a better ending.

14. SisterCSIs

SisterCSIs Civilian

If I could have voted for them all than I would have. Season 1 was with Aiden and than the rest with Lindsay. As for guest stars having an impact on my choices I would have to say season 3 and 4 after TPTB brought in Kyle Gallner to star as Reed Garrett. Even if I've watched an episode 4 or 5 times that he is in I still have to watch it.

Some are saying that Mac and Stella should be toghether, but I've always viewed that as more of a brother/sister sort of thing. My choices for fave couple even if they didn't happen were: 1st Mac/Aiden
    2nd Danny/Lindsay

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Season 1, definitely. It was the most authentic, the most real, the darkest (and I like dark drama). Season one had a very real feel to me, something the show really hasn't captured since. I liked the interactions between the characters, the story arcs for Danny and Stella, and the clash between Mac and Danny. The show felt much more complex and layered to me back then.

That being said, I think there have obviously been some great additions since that season, namely Adam and Sid, who in my mind are integral to the show now. Lindsay I could do without--beyond the acting/writing problems I have with the character, I don't think her Montana origins brought any "fresh perspective" to the show; it's just a one-note joke that's been told to us so many times...and yet we never really see it. Adam's from Arizona, but Adam is a layered complex character so there's no need to reference it constantly. Ultimately, my point is that I feel like from season two onwards, an effort was made to make the show less urban, less gritty New York and more glitzy New York. I don't know that that was a good thing in the long run.

My second favorite season is probably season 4, mainly because I loved the Ruben arc for Danny. I love seeing characters put in really impossible situations where there's no easy solution or quick fix. I'd like to see more of that; this season I'm really enjoying the storyline with Flack and his sister.