Fan Video Discussion

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by Faylinn, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

ETA: Now that we've gotten the basics worked out for the fan video challenges, this thread is going to become a general fan video discussion thread. (See this post for details.)

You can ask questions or make comments about the challenges in general or fan video making in general. Suggestions about rules also belong here.

This is not the thread to post fan videos--there is a thread pinned at the top of the forum here where you can post links to non-challenge videos.

This is also not a place to discuss where to acquire clips/songs/computer programs.

Hey all!

We've had some interest expressed for a fan video challenge, and I thought I'd make a thread like this to see how many of you guys would be interested in participating. :)

Since fan videos walk a line between fan art and, well, not fan art, we've decided to put the thread here in GenCSI.

I think it would be good to get input from anybody who would be interested in participating so that we can hammer out rules and guidelines (how often will we run a new challenge, things like that). For now, this is an unknown for all of us, so we'll have to wing it to begin with. ;)

So: would you guys be interested in trying out a fan video challenge here in GenCSI? If so, what kind of rules/guidelines/information do you think we need to touch on before getting started? :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Re: Fan Video Challenges

So would it be "moving video" (edited scenes from CSI) or a "video slideshow" (just pictures)? Either or? Or one with both (edited scenes & photos).

Hope this makes sense.

3. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

^^I was wondering the same thing...you'll have to make it clear whether this can be edited scene from CSI or pictures or either...

But I'd be interested either way...

4. subterraneantwin

subterraneantwin Rookie

I’m definitely interested! I know that there are icon challenges with certain themes pertaining to upcoming holidays, colors, characters, etc.; maybe there could be something like that, just with fanvids. Since most of the fan videos will most likely be scene compilations set to a song, there could be a given song and then the participants could each make their own video for it or something, I don’t know. I really don’t have a clue when it comes to guidelines or rules, but I think this could be pretty fun.

BTW, thank you, Faylinn, for making this thread! :)

5. Faylinn

I'd say we could let people choose whether to do videos with pictures or clips (or both) depending on their abilities/preferences. That way more people could participate and just have fun with it. :)

I think we should start with something basic--pick the theme, have people post their videos or link to them in a PM (depending if we're trying to have this be anonymous or not, although that could be hard with YouTube accounts and such), then we can have a poll after a certain amount of time and the winner gets to pick the next theme. Maybe something like that, what do you guys think? :)

If this gets to be a big thing, we could always have more complex rules and challenges, but for now I think simple is the way to go.

So, specific questions:
    1. Do you think the system I suggested for running the challenges makes sense? Open theme thread, link/PM videos (I'm leaning toward link just because it's hard to be anonymous with videos), wait a period of time, post poll, etc?
    2. Do you think the winner of the previous challenge should get to come up with the new theme/open the new thread?
    3. How long do you think we should run the challenges for? I don't make fan videos, so it would be nice to know from you guys how long it would take to be able to make one without feeling rushed. We don't want it to be too long (people will lose interest or forget), but we don't want to have it be so quick that some people can't participate.
    4. *scary question* Do you think shipping would be something that could be incorporated without arguments, or should we specify that shipping shouldn't be involved? (I'm leaning toward 'not involved', personally, but I thought I'd ask y'all.)
    Plus, of course, anything else you can think of. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  6. shazza_018

^^Those sound great Faylinn!!

Keeping the challenges anonymous maybe a tad difficult...

I agree lets keep it simple for now! :D

But if you need any ideas for rules

You know where to find me ;)

This does sound fun I wonder if I can see if some of the others would be interested...

7. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

You know, if I have the motivation I might actually take part in this. :lol: I don't have many episodes but I have some LV ones. It sounds fun. :D

As for the rules:

1. That sounds good except now you can only post a poll at the beginning of every thread and only one poll per thread so I don't see how that'd work. :confused:
    2. So for every new challenge, there's a new thread? I don't think there would need to be a new thread every time. Maybe a mod could just update the title of the existing thread if that's not too much trouble. :)
    3. Tbh, I can make a video in 1-3 days if I have nothing better to do, which is often. :p But I'd say 5-7 days as people are busy, run into problems, etc.
    4. Well, I think people could be mature about it, but being honest, people might be biased against videos about ships they don't like. I know that can happen with single characters too, but people seem to have stronger feelings about ships. So I'd have to say not involved too.

About keeping it anonymous, that would be quite hard. I'm assuming most of these would be uploaded on youtube, yes? Unless other websites like tinypic.com are used, but they take forever to upload, load and don't run very well. If you like a video, great, if you don't, that's okay. It shouldn't matter who made it.

I think we could just post saying what video we're voting for instead of making a poll. And so it's not spammy, people could explain why they're voting for it, the positives and constructive critizism to help them become better video makers, etc. :)

Of course these are just suggestions. ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  8. Faylinn

One thing that I think will be important is not discussing sources of clips/songs/etc. Fan videos walk a fine line legally, so I think being vague about the hows and wheres is best. :p

If people don't want to do polls, we can always open a thread for a challenge, then people can post their videos in that thread for a given amount of time, after which allmaple or myself will come in and post that it's time to vote, then people can vote and we'll count them up and declare the winner, who then opens the next thread.

Or we do a thread for each challenge and when it's time to vote, we open a new thread with a poll, where people can either vote anonymously or vote and make comments about what they chose and why, give constructive criticism, etc...

Alternately, we could do theme posting/video posting in a single thread (with an updated title, perhaps, when new themes start) and only have separate threads for voting?...trying to do it all in one big thread would probably get confusing. :lol: (I'm already confused. :p)

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well, I think this would be fun. I'm willing to give it a go. I'm a beginner at it, I've only messed around with picture clips, but with practice I'll get better and probably so would a lot of people.

And the advice you might get from the more experience video makers would be great or even what programs they use.

I think a thread where people can ask questions and/or for advice should be there. The more experienced video makers might be able to help. Or is there one already?

I agree that there should be no ships.

I think, maybe, there should be different levels of skill, like a beginner and advanced. Because I agree, then maybe more people will participate.

I agree with sanderssidle I think 5-7 days is good. Life does get in the way sometimes.

Also, I'm all for letting people comment on what the like or don't like about the video, but lets keep it contructive criticism, and not get nasty. Which I am sure the mods would not allow. ;) Or just say I don't like it or just I like it.

I probably could stay anonymous because my YouTube account is in a different user name. I haven't uploaded any videos to YouTube yet, or looked if you could change the user name. So some peoples user names here might not be the same on YouTube. But I can see where the anonymity can be a problem. Then again what's stopping people from asking their cohorts to vote for them and tell them what video is their's (if it was anonymous).

So my vote is: let's do it. :thumbsup: If anything else pops in my head about it, I'll be back.

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i think the counting votes thing (like challenges elsewhere on the board) would be easiest since there can only be one poll per thread now.

also, would there be enough interest for 'beginner' and 'advanced' categories? that could help attract people who are new to this kind of thing.

and i really like stokesgirls idea about comments and constructive criticism. that way the threads wont be spammy, and people can learn how to improve etc.

11. WornSouls

WornSouls Witness

I think it's a brilliant idea, especially the constructive criticism. It works well in the art contests. And hopefully it encourages people to try their artistic hand at another medium, I'm always inspired by people on here. As for beginners and advanced, if there isn't enough people maybe there could be special recognition, for trying new things or something like that? And I say no to shipping! Unless it's a one off challenge, I hate drama. I wonder if it's possible to send the videos zipped to a mod, or someone and they upload all the videos to one youtube account, therefore keeping it anon?

12. shazza_018

Would we have catergories Beginner, Advance?? It would be great if people gave some constructive cristism. No to ships!! but could we have ships as one of the themes?!...Would that work?!..If you still think it'll cause too many arguements then No to ships!! I have no problem with that :cool: ^^Wornsoul I think your idea for keeping the challenges anon would work..hopefully the mods can work something out there

13. Faylinn

I have no knowledge of uploading things to YouTube. :lol: I think anonymous posting would probably be too much trouble--as has been pointed out, if people want to get votes from their friends, there are ways to do that even with anonymous voting. Plus, sometimes people will have a signature style that will make their videos easy to place--or others might want to put a little 'credits' bit at the end of the video, which would get rid of the possibility for anonymity.

For the time being, I think we should trust people to vote fairly. If there are problems, we could change that policy, but for now I say we should just have everybody upload/link the videos on their own. :)

The only problem I could see with having different levels is how many people would participate in each level--unless there are multiple people in each group, it'll just be winning by default. Not that 'winning' is necessarily the point of the challenges, but I just thought I'd point that out.

I definitely think advice/constructive criticism/etc would be good--maybe we could have one thread (to start with and see how that works).
    • In the opening post for the thread, myself or allmaple could update the list of previous challenges with the winners (and links to that part of the thread), keeping the current challenge at the top of the list until the next one comes and so-on. That way we could keep up with things without having a ton of different threads.
    • Then the people could post their videos when they finish them, allowing others to comment, give advice, ask questions, etc.
    • At the end of the time period for the challenge, allmaple or myself would make a post with a list of all of the videos submitted that week and everybody would vote (while continuing to comment/give advice/etc) for a given amount of time before the votes are counted and the winner announced--
    • Then they can post the details for the next challenge, the opening post of the thread will be updated, etc...
    Did that make sense? :p I don't want things to be confusing, but I also don't want it to all be too complicated to start with. Maybe we can have 5 days to submit videos and 2 days to vote, meaning that we have a new challenge each week (barring any unforeseen difficulties).

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? :)

14. allmaple

allmaple Judge

with the youtube thing, i also have no idea how it works so im ok with people linking to their own upload. and maybe to keep fairness, when you vote for your favourites say why you choose them? if you justify your answer then we would have no reason to suspect people are cheating votes.

the time frame sounds ok to me, but then again i have no idea how much time actually goes into making the videos. maybe if a few people could give us input before we make a final decision on that?

it might be best to start off without beginner and advanced categories, and if we feel there is enough interest to support both categories there is always the option of introducing them at a later date.

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I've never made a fan video in my life, but that sounds like a fair way to do things to me. I'd definitely stop by to vote ;)