Do you agree with what Gerrard did at the end of 'Admissions'?

Do you agree with what Gerrard did at the end of 'Admissions'?

• Yes, I probably would have done the same thing myself in his position.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Yes, but I think he needs to be held accountable legally for his actions.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No, but I can sympathize with where he was coming from.

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No, what he did was wrong. Period.

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Top41

Administrator
Administrator
Premium Member
Gerrard's shooting of his daughter's rapist at the end of "Admissions" was definitely a shocking ending. We've had a little debate about it here and there, but I thought I'd consolidate it here. How do you feel about what he did?

I voted for the first no, although I do think what he did was wrong. Period.

I don't think it's as easy as saying that empathizing/sympathizing with Gerrard makes what he did any less wrong. I do empathize with him and realize he's as human as the next person; but the fact that he is Deputy Inspector of the NYPD means he should be held to a higher standard than the average person. He's in one of the highest positions of an organization that is supposed to uphold the law. If he takes matters into his own hands the police lose a lot of credibility and it makes their jobs all the more difficult. Why should the general public not take justice into their own hands when the Deputy Inspector of the NYPD does?

I voted for no, but I can sympathise. He did walk into a room at the precinct and shoot an unarmed man, with the express intention of killing him. Yeah the guy was a complete scumbag, but that's not a good excuse for murder. I can appreciate that he wasn't thinking rationally, because the guy was in custody, probably charged with rape and the murder of the guidance counsellor and therefore unlikely to see the outside world again, but by killing him Gerrard must have realised that he was losing his daughter and his freedom. Very bad choice in my opinion. :(

I think it was understandable but still wrong.

though the first though that crossed my mind was that no jury in the world would sentense him for it.

With all sympathy for Gerrard. But he has brought himself by his reaction in the outsits. He will also be able to expect no mildness from a judge, because he is himself a policeman. And, besides, still a higher position dresses.

I clicked the wrong button *damn new mouse over sensitive* but i wanted the first no rather than the 2nd yes.

THe situation yes i can sympathise its his daughter he wants to do everything in his power to protect her but it was still wrong and he shuld still get punished for what he did like any normal person would, i mean i'm guessing there could be tecnicalities which woudl get him a lighter sentence but he still did shoot a guy.

I voted for the first no, although I do think what he did was wrong. Period.

I don't think it's as easy as saying that empathizing/sympathizing with Gerrard makes what he did any less wrong. I do empathize with him and realize he's as human as the next person; but the fact that he is Deputy Inspector of the NYPD means he should be held to a higher standard than the average person. He's in one of the highest positions of an organization that is supposed to uphold the law. If he takes matters into his own hands the police lose a lot of credibility and it makes their jobs all the more difficult. Why should the general public not take justice into their own hands when the Deputy Inspector of the NYPD does?

I voted for the second yes. I would have probably done the same thing (and I know my husband absolutely would if it were our child). However, the fact that I probably would have does not make it right and I completely agree with you that he must be held to a higher standard as someone who is meant to uphold the law. He shouldn't get off under any circumstances either; clearly something broke in his head when he was watching his daughter tell Lindsay what happened and he needs to be psychologically evaluated. But whatever happens in the end, his career is over.

Back