David Rambo

CSI Files

Captain
<p>The current season of <i>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</i> will see many changes for the long-running crime drama. Following the departure of Sara Sidle (<font color=yellow>Jorja Fox</font>) in season eight, the show's ninth season has already said goodbye to Warrick Brown, who was murdered by Undersheriff McKeen (<font color=yellow>Conor O'Farrell</font>), and will soon see the exit of the head of the team, Gil Grissom (<font color=yellow>William Petersen</font>). In their place, <i>CSI</i> will be introducing several fresh faces. Supervising Producer <font color=yellow>David Rambo</font> took time to talk about the repercussions of all of these changes on the show with CSI Files' <font color=yellow>Kristine Huntley</font>, as well as to preview the episode he's currently working on, which takes a look into Las Vegas' past. <p><b>CSI Files:</b> The Vegas team--and the fans--are still reeling from the murder of Warrick Brown. Sara Sidle departed the show alive; how and why was the decision to kill Warrick off made?<p><b>David Rambo:</b> We discussed several options for the character's departure. Warrick's troubled past, and his blurring of the lines between appropriate and inappropriate ways to investigate Lou Gedda made a murder for hire a logical--and daring--next step. Warrick's death gave us a chance to expose how our team would deal emotionally, as well as professionally, with the loss, and really ratchet up the investigation for them. It was not an easy decision, but turned out to be compelling and enormously moving for everyone at CSI.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> Will the team continue to grapple with emotions from his death throughout the season?<p><b>Rambo:</b> When it's dramatically appropriate, I think we'll see some of that. A loss like that is always bittersweet: something reminds you of the good times, and then you remember the guy is irretrievably gone.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> Nick (<font color=yellow>George Eads</font>) was arguably Warrick's best friend, but thus far we've seen little emotional reaction from him to Warrick's death (save, obviously, for the near-shooting of the Under-sheriff). Can we expect more of a reaction from him down the road?<p><b>Rambo:</b> A cathartic breakdown just wouldn't be Nick Stokes. He's a leader, and finds the best therapy is showing up and doing your job to your best abilities. That said, he's not made of stone. And he does not forget his fallen friend.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> Will Warrick's death factor into Grissom's departure later in the season?<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full interviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/interviews/david_rambo.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

Great interview Kristine! Well done! :D

Although David Rambo didn't give away much I must say. Oh well...

CSI Files:Nick (George Eads) was arguably Warrick's best friend, but thus far we've seen little emotional reaction from him to Warrick's death (save, obviously, for the near-shooting of the Under-sheriff). Can we expect more of a reaction from him down the road?

Rambo: A cathartic breakdown just wouldn't be Nick Stokes. He's a leader, and finds the best therapy is showing up and doing your job to your best abilities. That said, he's not made of stone. And he does not forget his fallen friend.
Seriously? That's how he sees Nick. I always see Nick as someone who wears his heart on his sleeve. It would really be something if Nick goes through that cathartic breakdown IMO.

CSI Files: In what capacity will Lady Heather (Melinda Clark) return? Will sparks continue to fly between her and Grissom?

Rambo: Lady Heather is a mystery, and I'd like to keep it that way. I can tell you that every time she and Grissom are depicted, we learn something more about him that we couldn't have learned any other way. And he learns about himself. Melinda Clark is a wonderful actress; Billy always enjoys having her on the show.
I'm really looking forward to Lady Heather coming back, to see some more of that mystery peeled away. The Grissom-LH interaction is always intriguing to say the least.

Last edited:
Dear TPTB: I may be able to forgive you for all the crap you've thrown at CSI over the years if this scene actually makes it to air:

The final scene was particularly rewarding to film: Grissom and Catherine take an after-shift walk down the Strip and talk about why he originally came to Las Vegas. It's an extended scene that almost feels like a two-character play.

I have to admit I'm a huge fan of David's. And it's great to hear that after two years of research, his episode is finally making it to the screen.

Seriously? That's how he sees Nick. I always see Nick as someone who wears his heart on his sleeve. It would really be something if Nick goes through that cathartic breakdown IMO.

I've always thought that of Nick, too, but he has toughened up quite a lot since his ordeal in "Grave Danger."

I'm really looking forward to Lady Heather coming back, to see some more of that mystery peeled away. The Grissom-LH interaction is always intriguing to say the least.

I'm looking forward to her return, too.

Dear TPTB: I may be able to forgive you for all the crap you've thrown at CSI over the years if this scene actually makes it to air:

The final scene was particularly rewarding to film: Grissom and Catherine take an after-shift walk down the Strip and talk about why he originally came to Las Vegas. It's an extended scene that almost feels like a two-character play.

That scene sounds fantastic!

I have to admit I'm a huge fan of David's. And it's great to hear that after two years of research, his episode is finally making it to the screen.

Yeah, I can't wait for his episode. It sounds like it's going to be a real treat.

I've always thought that of Nick, too, but he has toughened up quite a lot since his ordeal in "Grave Danger."

I agree with both. Especiall in the earlier seasons, Nick showed his emotions plainly. But he's been through so much (especially Grave Danger), that it's changed him. There's no telling how things will turn out with this latest blow of loosing a close friend.

CSI Files: Nick (George Eads) was arguably Warrick's best friend, but thus far we've seen little emotional reaction from him to Warrick's death (save, obviously, for the near-shooting of the Under-sheriff). Can we expect more of a reaction from him down the road? Rambo: A cathartic breakdown just wouldn't be Nick Stokes. He's a leader, and finds the best therapy is showing up and doing your job to your best abilities. That said, he's not made of stone. And he does not forget his fallen friend.

I totally disagree with him on this. I think you can show Nick having a 'cathartic breakdown' without an official breakdown. There are many ways to write it.

Rambo just doesn't want to bother because he doesn't know how to write for the character of Nick. He doesn't appear to have a passion for the character and without it, you can't write in any character's head.

Thank God he's not the only writer on the set.

Nice inerview. Thanks Kristine. :)

I, too, hope that they'll keep the Grissom/Catherine scene. I think a retrospection on why Grissom first came to Vegas and all the things he's experienced in the city, good or bad, is a nice way for him to say goodbye to the audience. And there is no one more suitable than Catherine to do this with him. I really like the idea of a two-character play.

CSI Files: Nick (George Eads) was arguably Warrick's best friend, but thus far we've seen little emotional reaction from him to Warrick's death (save, obviously, for the near-shooting of the Under-sheriff). Can we expect more of a reaction from him down the road? Rambo: A cathartic breakdown just wouldn't be Nick Stokes. He's a leader, and finds the best therapy is showing up and doing your job to your best abilities. That said, he's not made of stone. And he does not forget his fallen friend.

I totally disagree with him on this. I think you can show Nick having a 'cathartic breakdown' without an official breakdown. There are many ways to write it.

Rambo just doesn't want to bother because he doesn't know how to write for the character of Nick. He doesn't appear to have a passion for the character and without it, you can't write in any character's head.

Thank God he's not the only writer on the set.

Apparently Rambo doesn't want to bother with Greg either. I don't think I've ever read an interview by him where he mentions Greg.

Back