CSI vs. CSI - Season 6 and Season 7 Ratings

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by sarahvma, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Coolcatz brought up a good point that the ratings have fallen significantly from Season 6, and while I didn't think it made sense to put it in the Grey's vs. CSI thread (since CSI and Grey's weren't competing last season), I think we can probably put it here.

So here you are (with appropriate drop percentage rates, etc. etc.)

A quick edit to say that because of how difficult it is to find Nielsen's original numbers, I'm not sure if these are Fast Nationals or Final Figures for the season 6.

Premiere of Season 6 - 29.02 million
    Episod 2 - 28.00 million
    Episode 3 - 28.85 million
    Episode 4 - 28.34 million
    Episode 5 - 28.48 million
    Episode 6 - 28.73 million
    Episode 7 - 29.55 million

Average: 28.71

What was NOT showing last season during this time? Grey's Anatomy (averaging 23 million), 30 Rock (averaging 5 million) Deal or No Deal (averaging 11 million)

Premiere of Season 7 - 22.58 million - 22.2% drop
    Episode 2 - 23.77 million – 15.1% drop
    Episode 3 - 21.51 million – 25.4% drop
    Episode 4 - 21.58 million – 23.9% drop
    Episode 5 - 20.49 million – 28.1% drop
    Episode 6 - 20.53 million – 28.5% drop
    Episode 7 - 20.83 million – 29.5% drop

Average: 21.54

Average drop: 25%

I’ll post the change in figures when the solid numbers come out for last week. Does anyone have the numbers for A Bullet Runs Through It Part 2?

2. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

That's really sad. :(

3. ilvelvegrissom

ilvelvegrissom Hit and Run

why would anyone in their right mind watch anything but CSI ????!!! :p thats sad alright...... xx

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Keep in mind all of those averages are about to go down because of last week's ratings, but still - I also forgot to mention that the Office, which gets about 8 million per week, is also in that same time slot.

There are a LOT of popular shows showing during one hour of television. The fact that the oldest of all of them is now back in first place is rather impressive.

5. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

Well starting off the season like they did, with over-the-top-personal drama is sure to have this effect. It was like a totally different show all of a sudden, I was lost and obviously many with me. Add to that that we were promised a lot of things for S6, things that SG totally forgot by the end of the season. Interesting to see how the ratings keep declining over every ep with that as main theme.

It's the team and the forensics that keep people watching CSI, such an elementary base for its popularity that I am baffled they threw it out the window to begin with.

If TPTB has any wits they will get the show back on track and stick to character building through team interactions and reactions to cases. Happenstance was pretty good in that regard, wonder how it did in the ratings. Will be interesting to see.

6. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

isn't OC at that time too?

i believe that it's the tough competition CSI is facing this year that makes the ratings go down. but if this season was the same bad as some parts of S6 we would have a lot bigger drop.

but i think CSI is doing a great job with bringing some continuity to the show, which drives GA and other shows fans the most to their faves. so maybe instead of thinking the usual "naaah, i can watch reruns of CSI, cuz it won't matter what happens this week" it may change into "OMG, i gotta watch CSI and see what's gonna happen with Grissom, MCSK, GSR etc". is it working? i'd say it is, b/c IMO this drop could be a lot bigger for a competition like that and the fact that the show is 7 years old.

7. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

i watch the ratings for greater toronto/hamiton area in the newspaper(about 1/3 of canadian population). The ratings for CSI dropped in the summer reruns (it usually does really well in the summer), and has been struggling to stay on top. Grey's anatomy is not played at the same time (and for some reason not as popular, isn't in the top 10). I think the last half of season 6 and the bad finale is to partially blame. With the lack of Grissom and introducing GSR, i knew this would happen. I predict a big drop in ratings when people realize Grissom will be gone for good.

8. SA_Kate_937

SA_Kate_937 Police Officer

I ahve to say, that it is very sad to hear that the ratings are dropping. I am , unfortunately, not in the US and have not watched either season but from what I ahve heard, the amount of Forensics in each show is slowly declinging. The fact that CSI is now pitted against Grey's Anatomy, is what I think makes it worse. I would like to think that GA is the reason for the rating drop, but you never know.

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Oh, agreed. I mean, it's rather telling that when Deal or No Deal changed times, 3 million of its 11 million audience went to CSI. So does that say that people would rather watch a gameshow than CSI? Maybe. But it's interesting that Grey's numbers barely flickered.

So... I'd say that while their numbers rising because a gameshow changed times says that perhaps CSI wasn't holding the interest it once did, at the same time, people chose to go back to CSI.

For me, and just for me, Season 7 is far and away better than Season 6. Is it a question of quality? For me, no.

Could people be upset by some choices that were made? Of course.

10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

11. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

Thing is, Deal or No Deal is addictive. I'm not in the states, but I watch the UK version of the show whenever I'm home in time, and its completely addictive viewing. My mother? is obsessed. God forbid she EVER misses a game.

And the thing with a game show like that is they don't tend to have reruns. Whereas CSI is repeated all the time. So people who are fans of both probably figure they can catch CSI at another time. And yeah, when Deal or No Deal changed nights, those addicts could then go back to watching CSI.

I don't think the Thursday night ratings are a high as they could be for ANY of the shows that are airing this year. Because there are only so many television viewers out there, and if you put a bunch of big shows on at the same time, you're going to dilute the viewing figures. I suspect that both CSI and Greys would have higher ratings if they aired separate nights.

12. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Oh, I know that - and I think that unlike most game shows, Deal or No Deal is one of the few ones that really appeal to younger viewers.

So it's not surprising that the 3 million jump also included a huge rise in the 18-49's.

I meant more that... I think that because it's on every day, there's a feeling of "Well, I can take time out to watch my other shows" but you're right - I think Deal is in the same whirwind that Millionaire had back in its day. It's new, it's fun, and it... well, it doesn't require a lot of brainwork, but it has a ton of tension.

Something that Jeopardy is not exactly abundant in.

I think that there's no question that some people left because they just were bored by Season 6.

However, when you look at how many hot shows are showing in that one hour, I still think it's impressive that the oldest of all is number one.

13. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

While I understand what you were trying to do with the topic I don't think its necessary to have two threads on a similar subject, all this thread is doing is reiterating what is being said in the other thread except using other show names as well. Therefore it leaves me no other option other then to lock this one. I will find a way to handle this.

**Locked**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.