CSI Sunday Wheel???!

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by ragincajun, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

Ok, we all now the story that the CSI franchise is getting old, and the future of one or two of them may be shaky because CBS has very little real estate for new programming. Also, with the original CSI now finishing fourth in its timeslot in terms of the valuable 18-48 demos, it is also highly likely that it will not be back on Thursdays next season. However, there is one other option that I would like CBS to consider - a CSI Sunday Wheel.

Back in the 70's, NBC had this Mystery Wheel that consisted of series of alternating two-hour episodes of such classic shows as Columbo, McMillan & Wife, and McCloud. CBS could do this with the CSI's where they order 18 episodes of each series but have them written as nine two-hour episodes that could be stripped down to one hour episodes for both syndication and the international markets. That way, CSI would air one week, CSI:Miami the next, CSI:NY thereafter, etc. Not only would that free up space for other news shows and keep the CSI's on a regular production schedule to used as midseason replacements for any new shows that flop, but with each episode's being two hours, more viewers would be likely to stick with a two-hour episode that starts after the 9:00 hour rather than a one hour episode that starts after the 10:00 hour when there are sports overruns. In other words, it would give CBS the benefit of airing shows with loyal followings while also getting the benefits on the old CBS Sunday movie.

So, what do you think? Would you prefer a CSI Sunday wheel over one or two of the series getting cancelled?

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

No! It's bad enough they stuck Miami on Sundays. As long as football will always be on Sundays, then I don't think they should be the rest of the CSIs on Sunday.

3. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

But, the sports overruns are the reason for trying a rotating series of two-hour CSI episodes. Now, when there is an overrun, CSI:Miami doesn't start until 10:30 or later. If it was a two-hour episode with no programming between TAR and it, the show would start at 9:30 and more viewers would be likely to stick with it until the end rather than recording it for later, which is what is happening now.

4. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

I think it would help if CSI didn't have to face Bones or even Idol once in while

Can't see them switching each week working, it'd get TOO confusing and I don't think anyone wants to wait almost once a month to watch a new ep, I think it'd turn viewers away

Miami would do better if games didn't run late all the time during Football season, yes most fans wait but not all of them, a person has to go to bed and get up for work, school, etc

5. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I want CSI or Bones to move...I can't watch both at once LOL. And I forget to DVR.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm hoping Bones being on at the same time as CSI is just due to Idol and will return to its original time slot once Idol is over.

7. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

The competition in the timeslot isn't going to get any easier, and that's one of the reasons that CBS will probably move CSI next year. In the fall, FOX will premiere Simon Cowell's new show, X Factor, and it will quite possibly air on Idol's Wednesday/Thursday schedule. So, if CSI were to stay on Thursday at 9:00, it would have to compete against Bones or two new high profile shows, JJ Abrams' Alcatraz or Spielberg's Terra Nova.

8. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Keep NY where it's at OR possibly move it to 10 PM...?
    Keep LV where it's at OR move it to another day...?
    Keep Miami where it's at OR air it earlier on Sunday...? (9 PM or 8 PM) So even if football runs over, it isn't affected as much.

9. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I can't imagine Thursdays without CSI. Thursday is America's best night of TV and CSI, being the original forensics show, belongs there. Most probably it will do fine at 10pm, switch with The Mentalist. CSI also has great DVR ratings which could mean put it where it doesn't have to compete with almost similar shows so that audience will watch it live.

10. astoldbyellana

astoldbyellana Victim

Sod the football, bring on CSI, House and Greys Anatomy

11. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

Honestly, it might have worked in the 70's just because back then there wasn't much choice on what to watch and not as many people viewed tv shows as we do now. I think that a simple change in time/day would be better.