CSI Sources - Writing a paper, help!

hmetter

Civilian
Hi all. I'm new to the boards and in fact, I'm only a recent fan of the show, but I've watched a lot lately. I am writing a college research paper about the use of fingerprint evidence in CSI and comparing it with a Mark Twain novel. Anyway, I have two questions: (1) any suggestions of episodes that deal heavily with fingerprints? and (2) most importantly, anyone know what sources the writers use when developing the plots and scenes in the lab?

I am specifically interested to comment on the inaccurate depiction of forensic science (stylized and simplified for TV), so I'd love to know whether the writers are consulting accurate sources or not. Have found several interviews with Ann Donahue and other writers, but so far, nothing listing the sources.

Thanks in advance - this is a huge help for my 30-page paper...! Although, watching CSI as "research" is pretty darn awesome!

I am specifically interested to comment on the inaccurate depiction of forensic science (stylized and simplified for TV), so I'd love to know whether the writers are consulting accurate sources or not.
I have two links saved for a news article that might be a bit helpful.

Click here and here

Thanks so much - this is a great start.

If anyone else has other information or ideas or tips about either sources used by writers or an episode with significant fingerprint evidence, I would be grateful!

hmetter you might want to try posting in the Forensic Science thread. Ken Goddard could probably answer a lot of your questions. He's a former CSI and wrote the last CSI book.

He really good about answering questions. Try PMing him, he might be able to really help you out.

Back