CSI: NY timeslot

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Geeno, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Since we have two more weeks until the next new episodes of CSI: NY, we might as well discuss this matter.

I think many are now aware that a Criminal Minds spin-off is under development and hopefully to be introduced before the season ends. Some say that this spin-off might take-over the timeslot of CSI: NY next season. There are no official details yet but as you know, CBS is airing NCIS: LA after NCIS. So maybe, maybe not, this might be possible with CM and its spin-off. The possibility? Maybe 60%. It depends on how CSI: NY performs in the timeslot now that NBC will be airing SVU at the same time starting March.

Personally, I don't want this to happen. CSI: NY has been dominating the Wednesday 10pm slot since its premiere. A change in timeslot might hurt the show, the ratings and what's next? In my opinion, CM and CSI: NY make a great pair. I watch these two shows regularly.

What do you think guys?

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I hope they leave both shows on Wednesday night, and I doubt the CM spinoff will be an 8:00 show - but I'm not optimistic that the spinoff will simply go on a different night. I'm sure some of the success for NCIS:LA can be attributed to it airing right after NCIS, so CBS will probably want to replicate that if it seems like the best idea.

Hopefully NY won't be moved to Friday or Sunday. Miami is on Monday and CSI is on Thursday, and I doubt they'll move it to either one of those nights, but that pretty much would only leave Tuesday at 10:00 for NY, after the NCIS shows. But isn't The Good Wife doing well? (I don't know, I don't keep track of Tuesday ratings.) Bleh, NY will probably get shifted to Friday or Sunday on the assumption that most of the audience will follow - and it probably will, but the ratings will most likely dip if it's on one of those days (or any time other than the slot it's been in since it premiered). A ratings dip would suck even more considering that the ratings have been pretty good lately.

*sigh* I guess we'll see.

3. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

i wondered if the 2 weeks delay was due to the winter olympics

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It is - we're talking about next season, when the Criminal Minds spinoff starts. If CBS does like they did with NCIS and pairs the spinoff with the original, either Criminal Minds or CSI:NY will have to move nights (unless the Criminal Minds spinoff is suitable for 8:00 and can air before Criminal Minds - but I tend to doubt it).

Geeno just meant that we can discuss the scheduling for next season since we won't have any new episodes to discuss for a few weeks now that the Olympics have started. It gives us something to talk about. :)

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ haha we need *something* to talk about :D

i'm not sure about it - obviously it's different here in the uk, and actually over here csiny has changed slots (and channels!) more than once. it's in the best slot it's ever had now i think - saturday nights at 9.30-ish (it varies week to week but between 9.15 and 10 start) - saturday prime time shows it's doing pretty healthily over here, which is nice. it's all gone a bit weird since competing channels have bought various bits of the franchise.

a cable station (living) has csi:csi, including the rights to the new ones. i believe it also has rights to old eps of all 3 csis, but never seems to show ny ones any more, only miami and csi. it has shown ny in the past though so i have no idea why this is, it can't be just that 5 bought ny, because they bought miami too and they still show old ones of that. weird.

channel 5 (which is terrestrial) has csi:ny and miami new season rights, but they also have another (cable) channel called 5us (oddly enough this shows american dramas!) and they have a lot of csi on there too - mainly older episodes, including, confusingly, csi:csi. this means they can air the new ep on the terrestrial (ie most likely to be watched) channel, and repeat it at least twice (once terrestrial, once cable), and they can fill up any gaps with old eps - i swear csi is is pretty much *always* on c5 somewhere. they even have csi sundays where an entire evening once a week is nothing but. i quite like this idea, of course ;)

i guess it's tough if ratings have been dipping in the states to know what'll happen here - and it's already hard to judge with the spread out nature of rights acquisitions, i doubt living will want to give up one of its top rated shows to c5, it'll cling on to the last one it "owns" as much as it can! i'm not sure actually whether us ratings will even have an impact here - as you say the NY ratings have dipped over there and yet we still get it as saturday prime time which is about as good as you can get for a time slot. maybe mac's "thing" with people from london is paying off ;)

as for the CM spin off since we tend to get things quite late here (we're only up to ep 5 of the new csiny season, i think or maybe 6, and i guess the same with cm) i doubt it'll be an issue for quite a while here, by which time things might have changed. CM is on living over here (who also have csi) and it's always had the 10pm friday slot which is probably the other best slot of the week. i doubt it'll move, but that means it is unlikely to compete with csi:ny, assuming they keep the spin off on the same channel and air it close to the main ep.

i dunno, maybe this is all playing to csiny's favour anyway? aren't many of the contracts up next year (specifically gary's as him not renewing really would have an impact, but others too i think) and if ratings are down a bit, maybe there won't be another season? or if there is it'll be quite different. maybe this would just make it easier to quietly drop/drastically alter it if they need to. i dunno *speculates*

sorry, that was all a bit vague/unrelated/waffley.

6. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Gah! i hope not:scream: I already had enough with my Jag experience. From Tuesday (I can't remember but i do know it was either Tuesday or Thursday) was changed to Friday and the show was dead after that:scream:

CSI NY is good enough to deal (the change of timeslot) with it but i'd rather NOT!:wtf:

I don't know numbers of Criminal Minds spinoff but i think it's a CRIME and a show of major ......... to risk a successful show just to priviledge a show that will just start:scream: Yes, some people could think it's the best financial strategy.

I think it's crap!:scream: CM spinoff must prove it can survive by itself, growing up in stories and characters without sacrifacing a successful show of the same network:scream:
    And isn't it a little too much to have 2 similar shows one after the other? Yeap, it can be successful at the beginning but the road can be long:shifty:
    Also i feel sorry for audience because yes, again,a parently it was a good strategy to put 2 strong shows to compete in the same timeslot (CSI NY and SVU) but it's a waste:wtf:

NOT TO THE CHANGE OF TIMESLOT!:scream:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  7. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Don't know about anyone else but I don't know if I could take two episodes of Criminal Minds back to back on a weekly basis. The types of crimes they investigate would make it hard to watch too much at one sitting. I think the two NCIS shows do well together simply because they have enough light-hearted semi-comedy sparring between the characters to keep it from being too much at once. I don't think Criminal Minds has that characteristic to carry it.

I love Criminal Minds and always enjoy the psychology involved in figuring out what makes a killer tick but if they could spread it out over two nights they would have me for both shows. And it would give me something to watch on the weekend when Brothers and Sisters is the only thing on Sunday night. Cold Case has never held my interest so it would be a good choice for me.

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I also thought of CSI: NY moving into Sundays but football is there. CBS is not doing good every Sundays except for Amazing Race. Look at Cold Case. I read it somewhere that CSIs are more male-skewing and Law & Orders are more female-skewing. So if CSI: NY would be put on Sundays (maybe 10pm) where football (undoubtedly male-skewing) is, that might hurt its ratings. ABC has successful programs at Sundays because they counter-program the football. DH and B&S are female-skewing.

I doubt CSI: NY would be on Fridays. I know CBS knows that it doesn't deserve that lame night.

CM2 on Sundays I think is highly unlikely put possible. Who wants a serial killer on Sundays? Maybe the CM fanatics.

^I agree back-to-back CMs are too much. I love how they pair CM and CSI: NY. CM is dark, serious, sometimes funny, thriller but CSI: NY is light, warm, sometimes funny drama. Yeah, CBS shouldn't risk a successful show over a new show.

9. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I feel that CBS might put CM spinoff on another night, I mean none of the CSI spinoff aired following Vegas so even though NCIS/NCIS LA air back to back doesn't mean CBS is gonna do the same for the CM spinoff, since none of the CSI have ever air back to back to each other and have all done extremely well in their respected time slots, I hope CBS takes that into consideration when planning next yr schedule

I really hope CBS doesn't move NY, I doubt they will it was done really well Wed. at 10pm even up against LOST, which everyone thought would kill NY in the ratings and NY prove to beat LOST and win the 10 time slot. and like its been said CM and NY make a really good pair, so I hope they put the CM spinoff on another night where they have space for it, maybe Friday or Sun.

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

don't panic! i think it's only hypothetical at the moment!

i agree - i love CM but it can be a bit of a heavy blow sometimes, you feel like you need something light to recover from it a bit! i agree that 2 hours in a row might be a bit much for a lot of people.

i find this quite interesting - i agree, as it happens, but i think in the first couple of seasons it wasn't so much. it was more biased towards the slightly darker stuff with lighter moments, whereas now it's often biased towards being lighter with odd dark moments. i don't know quite how i feel about it, on one hand i like the lighter stuff, but on the other i really loved the darker feel of early csi:ny and i think maybe they need to rediscover it a bit. although that's probably for a different discussion ;)

11. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

maybe they should put CM at the same time and day as Bones on fox

12. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

lisasimpson, the first CSI: NY episode I watched was "Charge of This Post". I was hooked instantly. Then, when I watched the dark episodes of season 1, I thought it was too dark and gloomy. I even said to myself "Oh, thank God, I watched season 2 first, if not I could have given up watching this show." But when I rewatched season 1, I realized season 1 was actually really good. Some episodes were hard to watch but there were also great episodes especially "Blink".

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i started out of order too because NY has been spread over so many channels/times here and they didn't even seem to show them in order until s3, before that we just kinda got sporadic bursts. i can't remember which i saw first, or even what season it was, i think it was probably a few different eps spread over the first few seasons. i think creatures of the night might have been one tho, i love that ep :) anyway, i also didn't really get the difference until later, but i adore s1, i love dark stuff anyway and miserable moody mac was perfect :adore: - i do like the lighter stuff a lot, i still enjoy it, but i sometimes wish they'd go back to the darker stuff more.

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

The problem is that there's really no slot for the CM spin-off. Monday and Thursday are locked down. I could see either CSI: NY or the CM spin-off bumping The Good Wife to another night and taking the Tuesday at 10pm slot. That's probably the most likely scenario, actually. NY would probably be the one to move, as I imagine they'd want to pair the CM spin-off with CM.

That of course, all depends on the CM spin-off getting picked up. But I imagine it's as sure a thing as the NCIS LA spin-off getting picked up, especially given the success NCIS LA has enjoyed.

15. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

I don't think that putting the CM spin-off right behind the original would be the best thing for CBS. It would be too dark. Especially for the middle of the week. People, imo, would not be drawn to that. Plus, it would be a rather large risk to put a spin-off in the primetime spot right off the bat.

If they were to move NY to a Friday or a Sunday, it might just be its death. I love NY, but those days never seem to work out for shows. Plus with the current Friday line-up, it would be strange to stick a crime show there.

As to the reasoning of putting both CMs together, I understand it. After all, NCIS:LA is doing very well. I think that has more to do with the content. It's very light and enjoyable. Of course this is from a stand point of me not watching CM. It's too dark for me.