CSI: New York--'Past Imperfect'

CSI Files

Captain
Synopsis:

The body of a young woman, her face wrapped in saran wrap, turns up on Coney Island, and as Mac arrives to investigate, a young man, Scott Colson, rushes up and falls into his arms trying to report a murder--his own. Dr. Hawkes accompanies Scott, who appears to have been poisoned, to the hospital where he's met by Scott's brother, Jesse, who tells Hawkes that Scott used to be into drugs but has since cleaned up his act. Danny follows up on a lead that Scott ran with members of the Russian mafia. He questions Yuri Sokoff, a man Scott owed money. Yuri saw Scott the day he was poisoned and got some of his money out of him. Yuri denies killing Scott, but Danny is skeptical. Hawkes examines Scott's body and discovers a small pellet in his leg, which tests positive for ricin, a deadly poison that shuts down the body's organs. Scott only has days to live. Danny and Hawkes follow up on a beard hair found on the body, which belongs, surprisingly to a woman. Danny and Hawkes question the bearded lady at Orion Park on Coney Island and learn that Scott, whose father owned the park, had made plans to sell it.

A padlock around the neck of the female victim leads Stella and Flack to Club Random, a lock and key club where women wear padlocks and men fish the keys to them out of a bowl randomly. The hostess identifies the woman as Emma Pierce, and the CSIs are able to track down the man she hooked up with in the club, Justin Parker. Justin claims that Emma got sick and that they left separately. When Sid Hammerback removes the saran wrap from Emma's face and shows Mac that her eyelids have been cut off, Mac recognizes the signature as that of Clay Dobson, a serial killer who was put away five years ago based on the testimony of Officer Dean Truby, but when Truby himself was arrested on murder charges, Dobson was freed. Mac confronts the arrogant man at his father's architecture firm, but Dobson brushes off his accusations.

Stella learns another young woman, Katie Lawrence, has been missing for a month and thinks the two are connected. Gerrard confronts Mac about not following up on semen evidence on the blanket Emma's body was found wrapped in, and Mac angrily confronts Adam over not sharing the DNA results, which match a man name Martin Boggs, with him first. Stella defends Adam, who has been working on her HIV test results. Adam has good news for Stella: the results have come back negative. At Coney Island, Danny finds a group of boys under the boardwalk who recall seeing Scott Colson--and remember a red headed woman dressed as a cowgirl who bumped into him. Danny and Hawkes find the woman, Tara, beside an arcade shooting game, and discover an air gun inside the fake weapon. Danny pressures Tara and she admits that Jesse, Scott's brother, put her up to it. Jesse has put a lot of hard work into Orion Park only to have his father turn around and give it to Scott when he cleaned up his act. Danny finds Jesse in the hospital and gives him ten more minutes with his dying brother before arresting him.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

Fabulous review AGAIN. I did enjoy the episode. I liked the exchange between Flack and Mac. It was just enough, it gave the characters some great interaction. CSI NY has had some bad luck with guest stars but I was really impressed with Joey Lawrence. I wanted to see more of him too. I think viewers need to get to know the bad guy a bit better sometimes. But the thing I noticed most in this episode was Danny. I was thinking the same thing. He was such an emotional and expressive character before. There is almost nothing there. And what a waste of Carmine's talent. If only they would bring the old Danny back. They could utilize his character in so many ways. Hardly any Lindsay, sorry but I liked that part......a lot.

Great review, K. The best parts of the episode for me were the confrontational pieces. As Mac and Flack circled each other, I wondered at the back of my mind whether it was going to get physical at some point. They fed off of each other so perfectly that you could practically see the tension in the room.

The other scene that was particularly well done was the one between Mac, Stella, and Adam. I felt uncomfortable watching it, almost as though looking in on one of my own coworkers getting a public dressing-down. This is not the first time that Mac has done this; and I was especially struck by Stella calling him on it instantly and in front of the affected employee. It almost reminded me of their scene together in Officer Blue.

At any rate, I liked the episode a lot. Like you, I could have done without Prozac Danny putting in a reappearance.

Excellent review, as usual. :D No typos that I saw, but I did notice that it mentioned saran wrap in the summary, and I'm pretty sure it was actually packing tape. ;)

I also loved the scene with Mac and Flack, and I agree that it would have been great to see a one-case episode that gave more about Dobson before he took a swan dive. :p

I wish they'd actually TOLD US what is up with Louie--they've alluded to him three times this season but never actually given us information. There is absolutely no reason why they haven't told us his fate after more than a year. :mad:

It's possible that Danny related to the guy because he felt guilty for Louie's situation/death/whatever, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. *shrug* I definitely think that the writing for Danny's character has been pretty shoddy at times this season. Sometimes, it works--and when he's good, he's good--but those times only make the other episodes look worse by comparison. If they can do it, why don't they do it all of the time?

Thanks guys! :D

Springmoon said:
Great review, K. The best parts of the episode for me were the confrontational pieces. As Mac and Flack circled each other, I wondered at the back of my mind whether it was going to get physical at some point. They fed off of each other so perfectly that you could practically see the tension in the room.

That was a fantastic scene! I have to say, it got pretty heated, and there was a real sense there that it could have gone either way. Mac conceded a little bit and then Flack backed down and basically said it was their problem to deal with as a team when he used the pronoun "we." I liked that a lot. The two don't always agree, but ultimately they want the same thing.

I definitely thought Joey Lawrence was great. Really sinister and slick--would have liked to have seen more of him!

As little Lindsay as possible is always a good thing. ;) She generally doesn't offend in the lab or when she's just dealing with the science stuff. She was fine in this episode.

Danny however...Fay, I see your point about Danny possibly empathizing with the brother, but I think it would have been somewhat out of character. The guilt Danny has related to Louie is more along the lines of what we saw in "Trapped" or "Hung Out to Dry"--I just can't see Danny sympathizing with a guy who murdered his own brother. Danny's sense of right and wrong is somewhat off kilter with other people's at times, but I just don't see him feeling any kind of kinship with a man whose motive for killing his brother boiled down to greed (and jealousy I guess). And I think if we were meant to make that connection, we needed something more in the script.

I am a phycologist (I study algae). The image shown on the episode "Past Imperfect" is a desmid NOT a dinoflagellate. I also doubt that the bioluminescence would last long on a woman's foot as the cells would die when they dried up.

^I always wonder if some of the "lucky break" science stuff like that is a reach. Thanks for posting that--I never would have known otherwise, and I would guess that's true of most people here!

Back